Fried Clams in Boston

sail7seas

Aside from Legal Seafood, where would you go for great fried clam dinner (clams with the bellies a must)? :)

We have our favorite places in the 'burbs but don't know where to tell visitors to go in the city. They don't want to go to Legals.

Union Oyster House?

No Name Restaurant hasn't gotten very good reviews lately.

Thanks.

Edited by sail7seas

Aside from Legal Seafood, where would you go for great fried clam dinner (clams with the bellies a must)? :)

We have our favorite places in the 'burbs but don't know where to tell visitors to go in the city. They don't want to go to Legals.

Union Oyster House?

No Name Restaurant hasn't gotten very good reviews lately.

Thanks.

I wouldn't go to Legal's for fried seafood, I'd go to more "shack" type places.

Here's a few places in the city I recommend for fried clams:

Belle Isle seafood (ok, technically Winthrop, but if the wind is right you can spit into Boston)

Yankee Lobster

Sullivan's (at Castle Island, where I'll be in about 90 minutes)

Out of town up north I'd suggest Farnham's and Woodman's (the latter if you like to act like a tourist)

Out of town to the south I'd suggest Wood's or the Lobster Hut

Of course you can always go to any of the Kelly's for fried clams, as this is not a dish that has to be served fresh from the sea.

Edited by Nitemare

Thanks but they are tourists without a car and I am looking for a place in City of Boston. I know many spots outside of the city but that is not what they want.

Of course, Woodman's is legendary but hardly convenient for a tourist in Boston. :)

Castle Island is an adventure but they only want dinner. :)

Kelly's is in Revere (and Saugus).

Please do not think I am unappreciative you tried to help.

Thank you.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks but they are tourists without a car and I am looking for a place in City of Boston. I know many spots outside of the city but that is not what they want.

Of course, Woodman's is legendary but hardly convenient for a tourist in Boston. :)

Castle Island is an adventure but they only want dinner. :)

Kelly's is in Revere (and Saugus).

Please do not think I am unappreciative you tried to help.

Thank you.

Castle Island is on several bus lines, and is walkable from Black Falcon

Yankee Lobster is even closer to Black Falcon

Belle Isle is a short walk from the Blue Line (available at the airport).

James Hook might have clams and has the right atmosphere

Edited by Nitemare

Oh, I'm sad that No Name isn't as good as it used to be. it was our go-to place when we visited my brother in Boston, but he's been dead for 23 years, so my opinion is very out of date.

I looked at No Name reviews, Andee, and I agree they aren't very good right now.

I also looked at Union Oyster House.

The new Sea Port area likely has a good place but I hate to recommend a place I have not personally dined at. We only let ourselves have fried clams a few times a year and it is always in local places in the suburbs. I need a place convenient for tourists staying in Boston without a car. They'd ride a taxi or "T".

It's pricey, but the Atlantic Fish company makes some pretty good fried clams. They are located on boylston street close to Copley square. I find legal to be mediocre overall, however have been impressed with Legal harborside floor 1 (located at the seaport)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's pricey, but the Atlantic Fish company makes some pretty good fried clams. They are located on boylston street close to Copley square. I find legal to be mediocre overall, however have been impressed with Legal harborside floor 1 (located at the seaport)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree about Legal Harborside, floor 1. We ate there two or three times and found it good. I like it better than some of the other locations. My friends had dinner there last year when they visited so I'm looking for someplace else for them to try fried clams. They never had or heard of them before so my challenge is to find a place they will enjoy. Atlantic Fish sounds a good place to think about. Thank you. :)