August 2017 - Detroit to Barcelona

rclibertygirl5

We have a cruise booked out of Barcelona in early August 2017. This is our first trip to Europe so we have no experience with flight prices. The current Air2Sea prices for flights from Detroit to Barcelona are approximately $1,600 for Economy and $2,600 for Business Class. I know August is high season for Europe travel but I have no idea if these prices are high or low. Could someone please provide a common range for traveling to Europe in August based on your experience? Thanks for your help.

That's high, nonstop from Toronto on Air Canada is no more than $800 or less. 4 hrs by car from you. Some airport hotels sell one night package with free parking

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We have a cruise booked out of Barcelona in early August 2017. This is our first trip to Europe so we have no experience with flight prices. The current Air2Sea prices for flights from Detroit to Barcelona are approximately $1,600 for Economy and $2,600 for Business Class. I know August is high season for Europe travel but I have no idea if these prices are high or low. Could someone please provide a common range for traveling to Europe in August based on your experience? Thanks for your help.

You might want to discuss this in CC's Cruise Air forum. Lots of helpful flight info there.

Edited by NMLady

• 1 month later...

That seems pretty high. I am flying from DTW to Barcelona on Sept 6 2017 and just found round trip tickets on Delta last week for $425ea. These are great times with only one layover too. The sale lasted about 24hrs and then jumped back to about $1,200. I would check at least twice a day every day. If you wait for the alert to email you, it is usually too late. Toronto or even Windsor are not bad ideas either. Good luck.

That seems pretty high. I am flying from DTW to Barcelona on Sept 6 2017 and just found round trip tickets on Delta last week for $425ea. These are great times with only one layover too. The sale lasted about 24hrs and then jumped back to about $1,200. I would check at least twice a day every day. If you wait for the alert to email you, it is usually too late. Toronto or even Windsor are not bad ideas either. Good luck.

For the past many years $1200 and higher has been the going rate from DTW to Europe, particularly in prime season. That DL flash sale last week with under $500 fares, in prime cruise season, was something extraordinary. A $600 fare to somewhere in Europe is something that I have jumped on in the past few years, but that has normally been odd ball sales, in at best, shoulder season. And, that is a fare I would find and then determine what to do with...not work around specific cruise dates. I almost wonder if the SkyTeam airlines were on the wrong side of some Fx contracts after the election....it was that odd.:)

OP, you can wait a bit longer and see if there is a reason for the odd flash sale and see if it happens again. Or, keep checking the Air Canada Windsor flights which have generally been the cheapest game in town for Detroit based flyers to Europe since the C$ has been low relative to the USD$. You might also find something cheap on Lufthansa going into Frankfurt and on to BCN, now that the Euro is pretty low. Keep checking http://www.itasoftware.com to get a feel.

Air Canada is generally running under $1K right now. And, with Air Canada, you have to check whether it's a Rouge flight and do your due diligence whether you'd be happy with the onboard service.

That's high, nonstop from Toronto on Air Canada is no more than $800 or less. 4 hrs by car from you. Some airport hotels sell one night package with free parking

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We went from Toronto to BCN last summer several days before our cruise. The flight was several hours late and people who had a cruise on the arrival date either missed their cruise or went to the ship without their luggage (did I mention there was a strike against AC's contractor). Since then I have heard more less than complimentary stories about AC Rouge.

However, the flight was several hundred dollars less than our other options and we did make our cruise.

Prices change all the time. Now AC had promos (15% cyber Monday) only up to June. So August will probably go on sale later on may be in New Year. AC proper flies 787 which I took last year; it had good entertainment system but very small space between seats. Rouge that goes to BCN uses 767 ER with much better seat pitch but no entertainment system. Movies are delivered on Air Canada app on Android/IOS device. iPad can be rented for $10.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by hkto

If you can afford it try to do business class, very long flight and 2,600 is not a bad price we did this in September from Dallas. Seats and service was excellent you could almost line down flat. Also on way back if you do Business there is a free lounge at airport with free food and drinks (beer,wine top shelf booze) for 1st and business class, also very nice chairs etc