Snorkeling AT Mahogany Bay?

MSNEmommy

We want more relaxation on the ship than anything. At Mahogany Bay, we will either stay on the ship or make a quick (morning only) dip into the ocean at the beach within walking distance and browse a shop or two. We are considering bringing snorkel equipment with us - if it's worth it.

I know it won't be ideal due to crowds and I know that it's nowhere near the best snorkeling nearby, but it might be worth bringing snorkel equipment... (We have ventured out of Mahogany Bay on excursions other trips - just have different goals this trip.)

I think the snorkel area others mentioned at Mahogany Bay is "beyond the pier" - which pier and how far beyond/out? Is this a live reef? What have you seen there? We don't have snorkel vests - are they required (or needed for visibility because boats/jet skis are crazy there)?

There's a small narrow pier toward the mouth of the cove past the cabanas. That's where people who snorkel can find some reasonable snorkeling there. Vests aren't required that shouldn't be any traffic and the water is a bit protected.

If you're thinking about snorkeling at any other port stop, then bring your gear. Otherwise, if MBCC is the only place you think you might snorkel, I'd leave the stuff behind. If you're a reasonably good swimmer, you might at least want to bring your own mask. You can sometimes buy snorkeling tubes on board ship.

While I haven't snorkeled there, my daughter and her bf did (at the pier everyone talks about). She said they seen a lot of fish and even an eel.

Just know that a lot of people go down there just to jump off the pier into the water as well. So, I guess it would depend on how much traffic you'd get from that the day you are there if the snorkeling is any good or not (scaring the fish off).

This is the only picture I took pointing down that way. I'm standing at almost the beginning of the beach (where the trees are) and if you look closely, you'll see the pier at the opposite end of the beach.

IMG_0544-XL.jpg