Least favorite port of call

Salve

Marseille. It was so boring. Nothing to do but eat and shop. I know there is a monastery but it isn't within walking distance. Once you walked around the harbour - the pretty bit of town - nothing to capture your interest for more than 2 hours. It was such an effort to get there from the ship (walking public bus) that I wouldn't do it again - unless I wanted to shop or visit the beaches out of town in the summer (when we went it was too cold).

Savonna was much, much smaller but had a nice vibe for walking around, somehow was nicer place to hang out in, watch the locals, even though again there weren't many attractions to look at besides church.

Edited by kfowinst

• 8 months later...

Katakolon, if you're there for your second time and have done the excurision to Olympia. Because there is nothing else to do. The only upside might be that you will have the ship for yourself....

Marseille in my eyes is quite nice if you know where to look at and not just walk aimless around (a guide book helps or visiting the tourist office, which is right at the old port).

The worst port that we have visited is Casablanca. It is one of the few places where it is so much better to do an organised tour. We did our own walk around and it was horrendous as it was almost impossible to cross any road and feel safe! We visited twice, firstly in one of our recent very bad winters and the European cold had reached the place so we stayed on the ship and secondly on a September cruise when it was not only unpleasant generally but also very hot, too.

Edited by Discount lovers

Marseille in my eyes is quite nice if you know where to look at and not just walk aimless around (a guide book helps or visiting the tourist office, which is right at the old port).

Good point. I think I missed the best bits of marseille. I did walk aimlessly around! Tried to go to fish market but it was closed that day

The worst port that we have visited is Casablanca. It is one of the few places where it is so much better to do an organised tour. We did our own walk around and it was horrendous as it was almost impossible to cross any road and feel safe! We visited twice, firstly in one of our recent very bad winters and the European cold had reached the place so we stayed on the ship and secondly on a September cruise when it was not only unpleasant generally but also very hot, too.

Have to agree with you Casablanca wouldn't rush back.

Katakolon, if you're there for your second time and have done the excurision to Olympia. Because there is nothing else to do. The only upside might be that you will have the ship for yourself....

Actually if you rent a car you can drive to Sparta in an hour ;)

Actually if you rent a car you can drive to Sparta in an hour ;)

Never even thought of renting a car on a cruise day. Is there even a rental place right at the port ? And is there something to see in Sparta or is it just a very historic name on a map ?

Never even thought of renting a car on a cruise day. Is there even a rental place right at the port ? And is there something to see in Sparta or is it just a very historic name on a map ?

Yes there are one or two rental car places as you get off the ship, you can walk right up and rent on the spot.

As for things to do, obviously no beach because Sparta is inland, but there are a good deal of historical landmarks:

http://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/sparta-gr-pel-spart.htm

Of course I may be a bit biased as my mother was born there :o