Solo Transatlantic - Epic V.S. RCI Jewel of the Seas? (And help with Europe!)

Newbcruiser1

Opinions/Advice/Experience-sharing Needed!

First off - I am posting this on both the RCI board and the NCL board to hopefully get opinions from what might be "both sides".

I am looking to take my 12th cruise overall, and 2nd Transatlantic cruise this fall. The 2 options that are within reach price-wise and timing wise are as follows:

1. NCL Epic - 13 night TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral with stops in Tenerife and San Juan. Room would likely be a studio (closet, albeit funky colored), unless the price drops on other categories. Bonus - would include 1 "free" perk, of which I would select either the ultimate drink package or ultimate dining package. The con there is that the service fees on the drink package are about $200 - which is likely less than or equal to would spend on drinks if I didn't have the package.

2. RCI Jewel of the Seas - 12 night from Rome to San Juan with stops in Valencia, Lisbon, and the Azores. No bonus perks or OBC offer BUT I would have Diamond Lounge access for evening happy hour (among other perks - this would be my first cruise as diamond).

So the reasons I am torn:

- I am a 30ish female who will be traveling solo. I have been on several solo cruises (including on the Epic and on RCI and Celebrity) and loved them. would like to spend a bit of time (1-3 days) in the embarkation port pre-cruise and am thinking about safety and ease and cost of transportation. Also, I have been to Italy on a land trip many years ago and spent 4 days in Rome so I'm not totally dying to go back. Never been to Barcelona.

- Getting from Rome to Civitavecchia sounds like a hassle as a young solo female who admittedly is NOT a light packer. I may be able to get my luggage onto the train WITH assistance, but that's about it! I will have a 30" rolling suitcase of 50lbs and a small arsenal of carry-on items (crossbody purse, tote bag, and small wheeled carry on). Yes I can manage lugging all of the bags quite easily for short smooth distances (from curbside through the airport and vice versa) primarily because they all nest on top of one another or on my arm. Contrary - Getting around Barcelona looks to be much easier with taxi rides being the only necessary transportation between airport, hotel, and port. Also looks potentially "slightly" safer, but I could be wrong there.

- I have not been to Tenerife (Epic) or to Valencia, Lisbon, or the Azores (Jewel). I'd prefer to visit 3 new ports than just 1.

So I suppose I prefer the embarkation port of the Epic (which would be a 2nd new place to me) but the cruising ports of the Jewel.

- Ships - I have sailed on the Epic before and loved the ship. The waterslides, entertainment, shows, food, etc - liked it all better than RCI as I found it more age-appropriate. I also loved the studio lounge and met some wonderful people there - it was like cruising with friends. Great for a solo. In terms of the Jewel - I sailed on the Radiance way back when (and on 2 similar Celebrity cruises) and it's a great "little" ship. There are less activities and less locations to enjoy on the ship. Entertainment on RCI has been "meh" for me lately. And I'm NOT a nightlife person but I found I actually enjoyed it on the Epic. Having said that though, I connected with tons of solos on the roll call for my last cruise on RCI, we arranged a solo group table in the MDR, and we had a blast as well! Same effect as NCL's Studio lounge, but limited to those participating in the roll call.

Some caveats:

1. I would book either in a studio room and watch closely for price drops, price changes on other categories in which I could upgrade to, added perks, etc. Neither studio looks particularly appealing to me - very cramped and dark.

2. I have found some wonderful airfare deals to Rome and home from SJU that will be ending this weekend - these deals are specific for the Jewel! Getting to BCN would be a bit more of a hassle in terms of airfare with a connecting flight, but should cost about the same.

3. I already have a deposit on the studio inside on the Jewel so I wouldn't lose the (last) studio room.

4. Both have very active roll calls - yes, I already posted on them! :)

Lots of info! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Does NCL have something like RC's Choice Air to get you good airfares for Transatlantic cruises? Choice Air (for RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara) generally has much better airfares on TAs than you can get elsewhere. If NCL doesn't have an equivalent, the $ you save on air might make the RC cruise a better deal.

But if you really loved all the entertainment/activities on Epic, and considering that you will have lots of sea days either way, it might be the best choice.

I LOVE TAs. I generally look for a good price, good airfare, new ports, and a ship I know I'll enjoy. Not necessarily in that order!

I'm sure you'll enjoy either cruise!

Does NCL have something like RC's Choice Air to get you good airfares for Transatlantic cruises? Choice Air (for RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara) generally has much better airfares on TAs than you can get elsewhere. If NCL doesn't have an equivalent, the $ you save on air might make the RC cruise a better deal.

But if you really loved all the entertainment/activities on Epic, and considering that you will have lots of sea days either way, it might be the best choice.

I LOVE TAs. I generally look for a good price, good airfare, new ports, and a ship I know I'll enjoy. Not necessarily in that order!

I'm sure you'll enjoy either cruise!

NCLs equivalent of Choice Air (Air2Sea now) is laughable! I called yesterday to inquire on the 1-way rate, and was given a price (which was rather hefty). I asked which flight it was, and was told "we submit our air requests 30 days prior to the cruise, so you won't know until that time". Say WHAT?!

Turns out if you book air with them, you pay immediately but you have no clue if the flight has stopovers and how many, no clue when it leaves, when it gets in, etc! And the only way to have any flexibility and fly in a day or two early is if you book the flight and your hotels through them too... And once again you wouldn't know what flight you're getting!

Needless to say, I won't be using them for air... Ever! Hahaha!

I find Expedia pretty good with not charging "double" and is often (not always) in line with RCI air2sea. Like right now I could get a direct flight from Toronto to Rome for $499CAD including tax 1-way through Expedia even though through the airline itself it's coming up at close to $4000!

Interesting! I have been looking on Kayak the past couple years for my comparative pricing, have not looked on Expedia. But I've never had good luck finding those kind of prices--perhaps because I'm not looking for cities that tend to have direct flights?

I have heard on here that it's now called Air2Sea, but I always go to Choice Air and it's still there at choiceair.com and it still has all the flights and is still labeled Choice Air and not Air2Sea. Is Air2Sea maybe for non-US passengers? Or are they running dual sites now for a while before they shut Choice Air down?

I guess the NCL air pricing explains why they don't allow you to see it on their website but force you to call for it! Yikes!

Interesting that Choice Air is still up and running! Both seem to be for North American passengers only (Canada and US). The RCI site itself sends you to Air2Sea when you try to book air, so I imagine they'll be phasing out choice air soon!

NCL definitely needs to overhaul their flight system! I told the agent on the phone that they're lagging WAY behind the other cruise lines - all I heard in return was crickets! Lol!

Transatlantic cruises are going to have mostly retirees. So the singles you will be apt to meet on a TA are not going to be in their 30's period. Extremely doubtful. Most 30 somethings are going to do Europe, but not the TAs. Based on your criteria- I'd do Epic.

You've sailed both ships basically. So go with the ship that you think will be more interesting on the many sea days.

If you are flying all the way to Europe- definitely see some of Europe pre-cruise. Barcelona is a lovely city and I would do some guided tours if you don't like going it alone. Monserrat is a great place to visit outside of Barcelona.

No ones going to carry your bags in Europe but you. One checked bag.One carryon. Be aware of pickpockets in both Rome and Barcelona. Wear moneybelt.

Edited by zoncom

I sail on my own ( I am in my upper 50s).......As for your

question about getting from Rome to Civitavecchia? I would take a

car service and not concern myself with getting my luggage to the train then

to the ship (but that is just me).

Thanks for the additional replies! :)

Re: carrying my bags - I wouldn't depend on anyone else to carry them (nor would I trust them!). I have made sure that all of my luggage is stackable/maneuverable on my own, and used the same pieces on my TA last month (although I avoided the train then too by using the cruise line's transfer in Southampton!).

In terms of ages of fellow passengers - I really don't have a problem with any ages of fellow guests/solos. Having said that though, I have to disagree with the comment about all of the retirees on TAs. My cruise last month on the Independence had quite a few younger solos (and non-solos whom I met through the roll call and were all wonderful people). Yes there were several young-ish retirees as well and that was just fine! We all had a blast. I'm no party animal (in fact, I'm usually in bed by 11-12 on a cruise) so I don't need a ship full of 30-ish year-olds! :) I actually prefer the crowds which skew a little older as they tend to be more tame. The cruise director on the Independence described that sailing to be like a "country club" which was a contrast to the party ship on the previous 3-day sailing, and I actually preferred the country club feel!

• 3 weeks later...

If itinerary is important, then Jewel sounds better. IMO, Tenerife isn't very interesting. I had a week family holiday there once, and the resort that I was in seemed to have nothing but Irish bars and English pubs. I can get those at home!