Few questions re Ventura

aquilegia

I'm a regular Princess cruiser who's booked a short cruise on Ventura. I know there are a few differences between the two lines, so I'd like a couple of things clarified.

On Princess, cabins are ready on embarkation. I know that's not always the case with other lines but we're not due to board till 2.30pm. Will our cabin be ready by then?

We've got Freedom Dining. It refers on the website to booking, but do you have to book in advance or can you just turn up when you feel like it? If we want to try one of the specialty restaurants, which do you think is the best?

Thanks for any help.

I'm a regular Princess cruiser who's booked a short cruise on Ventura. I know there are a few differences between the two lines, so I'd like a couple of things clarified.

On Princess, cabins are ready on embarkation. I know that's not always the case with other lines but we're not due to board till 2.30pm. Will our cabin be ready by then?

We've got Freedom Dining. It refers on the website to booking, but do you have to book in advance or can you just turn up when you feel like it? If we want to try one of the specialty restaurants, which do you think is the best?

Thanks for any help.

Early boarders find that cabins are not yet ready. One often notices glum faces with people sat around with a large wheeled suitcase. You can circumvent much of the problem by either putting all luggage through the hole in the wall. An alternative is to go to your cabin and dump all your hand luggage then scarper. I think cabins will be available shortly after you board. Although you are due to board at 2.30pm when you arrive at the terminal it may be possible that they check you in earlier.

Freedom dining, I have never booked just turned up and got allocated a table immediately. The problem here is are you intending to have evening meals at peak times and in addition request a table for two? Both these will add time to getting seated.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Hi Aguilegia,

Cabins tend to become available between 2.30 and 3pm. They will put out an announcement when they're ready. They don't like people taking things to the cabin before its "ready", and discourage this practice, although I know some people do it.

Freedom dining works the same way as "anytime dining" on Princess. Just turn up when you're ready and you'll be asked if you want to share or a table for two. If you want a table for two and there are none available at that time, you'll get a pager (again just like Princess).

Re: Speciality Restaurants - depends what you like. I've heard really good comments about Sindu, although not tried it there myself. We went to the Epicurian on Ventura last summer and the meal (and service) was certainly nothing special. In fact my main course was poor, and we had had far better food in the main restaurant. Others have had great meals there, so I can only say how I found it. If you do want to do a speciality restaurant, it's probably better to book sooner rather than later, either before you go or when you board.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Just got back from Ventura, freedom dining. If you're going on one of their coach buddies, all will be a breeze. You'll sail through embarkation and disembarking. Your cabin will almost certainly be ready. If not, ours was ready approx 14.45 hrs. Freedom dining applies to one of two restaurants. Turn up between the hours specified, tell them your cabin number and they'll seat you to suit themselves. Watch out for tables for two. A lot of them are against a squashy backrest and might as well be tables for 16. Ask for a table for two with chairs if you want a true table for two. Otherwise, take what you're offered. The quality of the food will be so impressive you'll have to justify the surcharges in the three such rooms. We tried the Sindhu at £15 a head. Very nice but couldn't see the extra value. I suggest you wait and see what you get in your package before booking. We would've liked a speciality dining experience on a formal night and tried to book in advance. No one would tell us when the formal nights were. Nothing was packed out, ever, on our trip so take your time. Might be different as the year unfolds.

Thanks to all who've replied. It sounds as though we'll be fine with Freedom Dining. We tend to eat a bit later than the most popular times and we're happy to share a table. I'd forgotten that you can prebook the speciality restaurants, you can't on Princess. Thinking about trying Sindhu, but will probably wait and see what the food is like in the MDR.

- your cabin might not be quite ready, but it probably will be, and if it isn't you won't have to wait very long.

- freedom is turn up when you feel like it, but there are peak times, where you might have to wait.

- We preferred East/Sindhu (the Indian/Asian restaurant) to the White room, and it's half the price. But I've heard others say the exact opposite :)