My favorites from Norway Fjords

magandab

My favorites from Norway Fjords I tried to pick just one, but couldn't.

Appreciate so much from Amy these amazing and technically superb pictures. Really good stuff!! Brings back super nice memories from our time in Norway. Here are a few of my favorites from these great areas. More on my full live/blog connected below.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 157,105 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoten Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Your pictures are STUNNING. I am ready to head right back and see it all again, in a different season. I really want to go to the North Cape in winter and see the Northern Lights.

Appreciate so much Amy's added pictures and nice comments. Really loved that "up close and personal" picture of the bird. What camera and lenses are you using?? Great efforts and spectacular results.

Do you really want to do the North Cape in winter time? It's totally dark there 24/7 during the winter. Maybe, if and if, you'll see some Northern Lights. Most of the time, however, it is going to be dark, dark, dark! No sunshine, etc., for a many-month period. Worth it??

We are planning a Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing over 26 days. Fun doing that future research and think of the great pictures we can capture in this wonderful locations.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,338 views for this fun posting.

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape at the top of Norway.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Arriving in the small village of Flam at the end this great fjord, the Captain is right there directing this process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. Below are more pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. This includes a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

We went to the end of the road as our “adventure” in the dramatic Lofoten Islands with our rental car. We stopped in a village called “A”. In their alphabet, this “A” has a small “o” above the letter. This is a simple name for a charming fishing town with spectacular scenery. We brought along box lunches from the ship and dined on a picnic table on the wooden dock with water and sights all around us. This was our dining view with the busy and noisy birds providing entertainment!!:

LofotenARedBldgBirds.jpg

Ooooo I want to do that trip again!

As for cameras,

I took two cameras on this trip.

Canon T2i with both a 50mm f /1.4 lens and a 55-250 f 4-5.6 telephoto lens.

The other is my pride and joy - what I consider to be the finest "pocket" camera on the market - the Leica D-LUX 5. I think they may be up to a D-LUX 7 by now.

Some of it is the editing with Paint Shop Pro. I'm currently using Version 10. I usually upgrade every 4-5 versions.

As for cameras, I took two cameras on this trip.

Canon T2i with both a 50mm f /1.4 lens and a 55-250 f 4-5.6 telephoto lens.

The other is my pride and joy - what I consider to be the finest "pocket" camera on the market - the Leica D-LUX 5. I think they may be up to a D-LUX 7 by now.

Some of it is the editing with Paint Shop Pro. I'm currently using Version 10. I usually upgrade every 4-5 versions.

Appreciate this added info and background from Amy. In today's digital world, even with fairly basic point-and-shoot or even phone camera, you can get some great results. AND, with better lenses and added skills (plus a little luck with good lighting), things get much, much better. Keep up the good sharing.

THANKS for the follow-up! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 157,485 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Last night I was picking photos to put in an album and realized some were missing. I found them and will be resizing and posting them here.

I've also found that editing can be key to digital photography, just as it was with film, back in the day.

I've also found that editing can be key to digital photography, just as it was with film, back in the day.

YES!! Super agree with Amy that so much of the "skill" today and for the future is for what you do during the "post" period after you take your pictures. Two of my key tips to others are:

1. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

2. Editing: Fine-tune your pictures on your lap-top or computer device, brightening when needed, leveling out, improving the cropping, etc. When you have time to narrow down to only your "best of the best" pictures, it makes that sharing easier. I have done that editing on my MacBook Pro computer using their iPhoto and now Aperture software tools.

I am old enough to have gone back to the old "darkroom days". It's now so much quicker and easier to do these steps on your computer. And, you can see your results, improvements fast. That makes things more fun to get such easier gratification.

On our Australia-NZ-Hawaii trip, I took over 8,000 pictures. Without the computer, it would have been impossible to have been able to narrow down these many visual options, fine-tune the images, do a live/blog, etc. Super love the digital age of photography. Makes a hugely positive difference.

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,804 views for this fun posting.

YES!! Super agree with Amy that so much of the "skill" today and for the future is for what you do during the "post" period after you take your pictures. Two of my key tips to others are:

1. Show people only the "good ones!" and do not boring them with the average and/or poor ones. The more you shoot, that improves your "odds" to get better pictures, varied framings, magic moments, etc.

Oh how I agree with this. I can remember back in the film days thinking, "Just because you TOOK 36 pictures doesn't mean you have to, or even should, POST 36 pictures. I took over 700 on my most recent cruise and I think I have maybe 45-50 worth sharing.

Sorry, I spent so much time looking at the gorgeous photos I didn't read the messages.

No problem. Honestly, if I could only own one camera it would be the little Leica. I was choosing and editing pictures and realized that the color and clarity from the Leica is visibly superior to the Canon.