New Solo Cruiser Looking for Happy Medium

Charlie'sPet

Hello everyone! Need some advice here. I went on my first cruise (Alaska) last year and loved it and want to book a cruise for the Caribbean in February. The first cruise was on HAL and I was with my mom who is retired and so the abundance of passengers around her age wasn't really an issue. I loved HAL but I'm worried that if I book my solo cruise with them for the Caribbean that I'll be among an older crowd. I'm 38. I don't drink, gamble or into the party scene. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere so I'm reluctant to book Carnival. I want a ship that has great entertainment with shows and high quality food. I don't do buffets.

Can anyone suggest the best cruise line that might entail all this with more people around my age? ;)

Edited by Charlie'sPet

How about Royal Caribbean?I'll be 33 next year when I cruise, and chose them for multiple reasons. Carnival from my understanding is more for college party atmosphere. I like to party with people my own age, two I hear the food is really great and lots of options for restaurant options and great entertainment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm 38. I don't drink' date=' gamble or into the party scene. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere so I'm reluctant to book Carnival. I want a ship that has great entertainment with shows and high quality food. I don't do buffets.

Can anyone suggest the best cruise line that might entail all this with more people around my age? ;)[/quote']

Done a few solo's... I like RCL best for various reasons. Price, value, style of ship, demographics, number of things to do, nightlife on the ship, events/shows... I don't think you can go wrong here.

I would strongly recommend a Voyager Class or larger ships by a mile... many more venues and entertainment options, great music, great nightlife if/when you want it, Ice skating shows, Promenade, great theatre, florider, sports court, etc etc etc. I find the Caribbean sailings have a good mix of younger and older, so you will not feel out of place.

Because of cost for solo, your best bet will not be Oasis or Allure. However Freedom, Liberty, Independence, Explorer, Navigator should all be great targets for you come next February depending on which port you want to leave from (ie. flights from where you live, etc). Have a great cruise :D

I've only sailed Royal Caribbean and MSC, but found people our age on both of them. I deliberately sail at times when kids are in school, and overall would often be among the younger set on the ship. That being said, some of my best days/evenings were with new, older friends on board, so don't rule anyone out based on age alone :D

Done a few solo's... I like RCL best for various reasons. Price, value, style of ship, demographics, number of things to do, nightlife on the ship, events/shows... I don't think you can go wrong here.

Thanks Hoopster, I'll definitely look into this.

Hello everyone! Need some advice here. I went on my first cruise (Alaska) last year and loved it and want to book a cruise for the Caribbean in February. The first cruise was on HAL and I was with my mom who is retired and so the abundance of passengers around her age wasn't really an issue. I loved HAL but I'm worried that if I book my solo cruise with them for the Caribbean that I'll be among an older crowd. I'm 38. I don't drink' date=' gamble or into the party scene. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere so I'm reluctant to book Carnival. I want a ship that has great entertainment with shows and high quality food. I don't do buffets.

Can anyone suggest the best cruise line that might entail all this with more people around my age? ;)[/quote']

RCI is a good choice for someone in the under 40 crowd since it get a more diverse crowd and you shouldn't feel out of place. The food is good but not gourmet. Celebrity might also be a good option since you want higher quality food and aren't into the party scene although the crowd may tend to be older and coupled vs RCI. Most younger folks in your age bracket don't care that much about food. They want to be in the sun, drink and party so most tend to go on Carnival.

Hello everyone! Need some advice here. I went on my first cruise (Alaska) last year and loved it and want to book a cruise for the Caribbean in February. The first cruise was on HAL and I was with my mom who is retired and so the abundance of passengers around her age wasn't really an issue. I loved HAL but I'm worried that if I book my solo cruise with them for the Caribbean that I'll be among an older crowd. I'm 38. I don't drink' date=' gamble or into the party scene. I prefer a more laid back atmosphere so I'm reluctant to book Carnival. I want a ship that has great entertainment with shows and high quality food. I don't do buffets.

I would recommend reading about/looking into the NCL ships with the studio cabins. I found that I was able to meet people I could relate well to, that like you, were not into the drinking, gambling etc..

NCl Getaway will go to the Eastern Caribbean then in 2/15.

Try Princess. Although PCL caters more to the 50+, the average age on a Caribbean cruise is younger, especially on 7 day itineraries. The entertainment staff are young and energetic, they banter quite a bit with the audience, the food is much better than RCI (JMHO):). Princess never tries to push the party atmosphere, but there's always music, dancing and shows, not that the shows are all that great but they have variety such as singing, magicians, comedians etc. I am 48 and have seen many many people in their 30's on Caribbean cruises. You'll definitely get a laid-back feeling. Happy travels.;)