UK booking with US TA

Mivvit

I booked a cruise from the UK via a US travel agent with Princess Cruises and have only since realised the problems that may occur if doing this - was completely unaware at the time being a first time cruiser.

When I called and booked I said that we lived in the UK, and she said that they could book it for us, we would just need to use their address during online check-in, and she filled that part of the form in for us.

Has anyone else done this successfully without incident, or conversely has anyone actually encountered problem boarding by doing this? I am now a little nervous, but don't think I can cancel anyway.

Many thanks for your advice.

Hi Mivvit,

A colleague of mine asked to use an address I hold in the United States as this got them a beneficial cruise fare compared to using a UK address.

I was assured that there would be no documents, etc arriving at the address and it was merely a formality that the travel agent needed a US address to be able to process the booking.

Hope that gives you some sort of reassurance

I am now a little nervous, but don't think I can cancel anyway.

Many thanks for your advice.

As I understand it if you booked through a US agent you should be able to cancel without penalty any time up until the balance is due.

Don't forget that you won't be covered by ABTA.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your reply, this is the information that is in the passenger contract regarding cancellation. I paid all costs upfront, currently at between 57-74 days sailing, but soon to be 56 days! Therefore 50% of cost of cruise.

The amount of cancellation fee varies based on length of sailing for cruise/cruisetour and timing of cancellation for cruise/cruisetour and Cruise Plus package, as illustrated in the schedules below.

Sailings less than 30 days (including World Cruise Segments)

Days prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Item(s)* Assessed Cancellation Fee

75 days or more None None

74-57 days Cruise fare Deposit* Amount

56-29 days All Items 50% of Total Charges

28-15 days All Items 75% of Total Charges

within 14 days All Items 100% of Total Charges

*Items: Cruise, Cruisetour, Cruise Plus Package, pre-purchased gift(s)/special services.

*For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit required/paid.

• 3 weeks later...