Solo to Alaska

NCGAL1971

I decided to go with Carnival for my first solo to Caribbean . Now I'm thinking about Alaska next year. I would like some input on what a reasonable cabin rate I can expect. I've been looking at NCL southbound in May on the Sun. Interior cabin is $1300? Would rather have window but trying to keep cost down. Have cruised AK twice before and know window nice but in reality u spend 99% of time up I on deck to see scenery. Is $1300 good rate? Hoping there will be price drop. Also , when does Carnival usually put out their itinerary for Alaska?

Thanks

It is a good price if you are happy with it.:) If you take 1300.00 and divide it by 2? That would be 650.00 per person. Alaska can be more

money (and usually is) than other itineraries, especially more than the Caribbean.

Your question will probably receive different answers. To me? 1300.00

for a solo to Alaska is a good price. But that is just me. Others may disagree.

I can't help you with the Carnival questions as I don't sail with them.

Hopefully other folks will chime in for you.

Hope you have a great cruise:)

Edited by Lois R

That is high IMHO. I almost booked a 7 day balcony on NCL last year for $1000.

Just have to look last minute and early in the season or late in the season.

The 10 day Pearl inside first cruise of the season came down to $1200 for an inside. I thought they would drop more but didnt nor did the balconies.

But i am going to keep an eye on it again next year they have similar 10 day one first cruise of season.

Good luck and hope you find something you are happy with.

I had an inside room NB on Sun-Solo for $1265-I was thinking of upgrading to balcony but noticed the prices online had jumped from $2500 for a balcony to $3,000.00. I called last night and was able to upgrade to a balcony for the $2500 price. If you want to book it-I would do it now. Unless you can be flexible and book a last minute cruise, I do not know if you would be able to get a deal-there always seem to be some on offer.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can do last minute, do that.

I booked a verandah on Holland America solo for 1580 counting taxes and fees. Booked lowest grade verandah and just got upgraded to highest cat. Cruise if Vancouver RT on May 17.

I was originally going to do NCL northbound in Sept for about 2800 for a verandah. Quite happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would put a deposit down on the best deal of the moment but keep an eye out for rates to drop on your trip and the ones around it.

It's possible Carnival might be cheapest today, NCL might be cheapest in a month, and Celebrity might be cheapest before final payment. Or even that your trip goes up in price but the same ship one week later goes down like a stone. You can always switch before final payment without charge.

I've been pricing out late-summer 2015 Alaska cruises for several weeks now, comparing Princess, Celebrity and RCCL. I'm specifically looking at balconies, but I noticed insides +/- $725 do and OVs +/- $850 do, so it sounds like $1300 inside solo "out the door" is a decent price.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to cruise solo for the first time next year to Alaska and have been watching the pricing for 2014. Pick a couple of cruises that you are interested in and simulate a few bookings for this summer on one of the large cruise only sites. That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

I ended up booking an inside cabin on Princess because they have a low single supplement. I have been receiving email for months so I am confident that the price I have now will go down before I make final payment. :) HAL is also know to start high and drop later so either may work for you.

To get the really low pricing you may have to book late - after final payments are due. I don't have that much flexibility since I am planning to use FF tickets to cover airfare and scheduling time off work can be a problem.....