Any restaurant in FLL that is not to be missed?

DeRon

We will be in FLL in Oct, staying at the Lago Mar. Any suggestions on where to go eat that is really good or a not-to-be-missed experience? I am not talking about fine-dining...more of a fun place, great atmosphere, pretty good food, etc.

Thanks!

Ft Lauderdale is not known for it's dining as say, South Beach. But we're fortunate to have a couple of outstanding restaurants. Neither one of these are known as tourist attractions, both are difficult for the locals to get into, the food at both is outstanding.

Canyon is one not to miss, http://www.canyonfl.com/, best fresh prickly pear margaritas east of the Missisippi. Another is Cafe Martarono http://www.cafemartorano.com/. Arrive early or expect long waits to get a table. ;)

Ft Lauderdale is not known for it's dining as say, South Beach. But we're fortunate to have a couple of outstanding restaurants. Neither one of these are known as tourist attractions, both are difficult for the locals to get into, the food at both is outstanding.

Bequia, I appreciate your insight and read your blog from time to time. We're looking for a restaurant/lounge near the 17th St. corridor to serve as an informal meeting place on the night before our Nov. 29 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. We have a pretty good size cc group, and many our staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande. (I'm actually staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach.) I've heard that the 15th St. Fisheries is over-rated. Is there anything else (preferably non-chain) that is somewhat casual and would provide a unique atmosphere for people to hang out, have a drink and possibly have a meal? I used to visit the area frequently, but it's been a while. I appreciate the input.

Mike

Canyon is one not to miss, http://www.canyonfl.com/, best fresh prickly pear margaritas east of the Missisippi. Another is Cafe Martarono http://www.cafemartorano.com/. Arrive early or expect long waits to get a table. ;)

Anywhere you'd recommend for good food during the daytime for seniors?

For me, I think 15th St Fisheries, Bimini Boatyard, and the Canyon are way overated. A lot of those places cater more to tourists than locals so things get pricey due to the atmosphere, etc. The food at all is good, but there is better. I think Canyon is way over priced if you are on a traveling budget. I really like Southport Raw Bar off 17th St. Causeway, it's tucked off one of the side streets and you can sit dockside. Food is very reasonable and good quality. Your hotel will know where it's at, it's just down the road. Can't remember the name of the side street but it's very close.

Bequia, I appreciate your insight and read your blog from time to time. We're looking for a restaurant/lounge near the 17th St. corridor to serve as an informal meeting place on the night before our Nov. 29 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. We have a pretty good size cc group, and many our staying at the Ft. Lauderdale Grande. (I'm actually staying at the Marriott Harbor Beach.) I've heard that the 15th St. Fisheries is over-rated. Is there anything else (preferably non-chain) that is somewhat casual and would provide a unique atmosphere for people to hang out, have a drink and possibly have a meal? I used to visit the area frequently, but it's been a while. I appreciate the input.

Mike

We will be in FLL in Oct, staying at the Lago Mar. Any suggestions on where to go eat that is really good or a not-to-be-missed experience? I am not talking about fine-dining...more of a fun place, great atmosphere, pretty good food, etc.

Thanks!

Hi DeRon, Do you like seafood? It so, there's the Rustic Inn Crab House. Very fun place. Nautical atmosphere. Huge portions, of all kinds of crab legs, that they serve in buckets, news papers on the tables instead of tablecloths. Wooden mallets to smash open the crab shells. It's certainly casual.They have an outdoor section on the dock in the back, so you can look at the water. Located close to the airport. We loved the place.

http://www.rusticinn.com/our_history.html

BTW, we too were less than thrilled with the 15th Street Fisheries. Long wait to get a table, and another very long wait for the food to arrive. Fairly expensive prices, and we were less than thrilled with the food. Some strange items on the menu, like allligator. I ordered a stuffed lobster tail, that tasted like someone had poured a bottle of vinegar over it. Really awful. I told the waitress, and all she did was sort of stare at me. I left almost all of it on the plate. Not even a "sorry" from them. We won't eat there again.

Bequia, I appreciate your insight and read your blog from time to time. We're looking for a restaurant/lounge near the 17th St. corridor to serve as an informal meeting place on the night before our Nov. 29 cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Mike, I'd have everyone come over to your hotel and let them see what a classy oceanfront hotel looks like. 3030 Ocean is the flagship restaurant at your hotel and that would be an excellent place to meet. Check out the menu when you arrive, if it's too pricey then head to the pool and order off of the bar menu, it's not bad, nothing fancy, actually pretty tastey. The pools right there, the oceans footsteps away, plenty of space for your group to mingle. The 50 cent Sun Trolley passes your groups hotel every 15 minutes, it'll have them to your hotel in less then 5 minutes. ;)

Mike, I'd have everyone come over to your hotel and let them see what a classy oceanfront hotel looks like. 3030 Ocean is the flagship restaurant at your hotel and that would be an excellent place to meet. Check out the menu when you arrive, if it's too pricey then head to the pool and order off of the bar menu, it's not bad, nothing fancy, actually pretty tastey. The pools right there, the oceans footsteps away, plenty of space for your group to mingle. The 50 cent Sun Trolley passes your groups hotel every 15 minutes, it'll have them to your hotel in less then 5 minutes. ;)

Thanks for the input, Bequia. It's probably 10 years since I stayed at the Marriott HB. I don't remember a lot, but it looks like they made some great improvements over the years. Looking forward to it.

Mike

Hi DeRon, Do you like seafood? It so, there's the Rustic Inn Crab House. Very fun place. Nautical atmosphere. Huge portions, of all kinds of crab legs, that they serve in buckets, news papers on the tables instead of tablecloths. Wooden mallets to smash open the crab shells. It's certainly casual.They have an outdoor section on the dock in the back, so you can look at the water. Located close to the airport. We loved the place.

http://www.rusticinn.com/our_history.html

BTW, we too were less than thrilled with the 15th Street Fisheries. Long wait to get a table, and another very long wait for the food to arrive. Fairly expensive prices, and we were less than thrilled with the food. Some strange items on the menu, like allligator. I ordered a stuffed lobster tail, that tasted like someone had poured a bottle of vinegar over it. Really awful. I told the waitress, and all she did was sort of stare at me. I left almost all of it on the plate. Not even a "sorry" from them. We won't eat there again.

I checked out the Rustic Inn website and must say, that looks like our kind of place, followed by the Southport Raw Bar.

Can anyone tell me how far the Rustic inn is from the Holiday Inn Express on 17 & the Causeway? Since we are staying there, the Southport is right there, however, if it's not too far out of the way and expensive, we are willing to take a cab to the Rustic Inn and back.

Dave

Dave, with tip a cab ride from the HIX to the Rustic Inn will run around $12 each way. Well worth it. ;)

Hello Bequia...Thank you very much for the insight and for all of the information on your website.

It sounds like the cab fare will be worth the Rustic Inn experience and the great food they seem to have. Besides some lobster and crab, I cannot wait to have some fried alligator. Up here in Central New York State, you never see anything like Alligator in any restaurant.

Thank-you again.

Dave

Thanks!

Mangos on Las Olas might be what you are looking for. They have live bands some nights, and a casual moderate menu, a very popular place. You can sit inside or out. You can stroll up and down Las Olas Blvd before or after dinner and visit the shops and galleries and look at the menus of the dozens of restaurants. It is an upscale but lively and fun area of town.

He closed his big one in Boca off US 1

Ernies BBQ and Blues better off US1..great bimini bread!

For simple fare - Tom Jenkins, off 17th and US-1, if I remember correctly.

Great sandwiches, pulled pork, etc. And you can bring home their bbq sauce - I still have one bottle left that I'm cherishing. :)

For simple fare - Tom Jenkins, off 17th and US-1, if I remember correctly.

Great sandwiches, pulled pork, etc. And you can bring home their bbq sauce - I still have one bottle left that I'm cherishing. :)

Tom Jenkins is legendary...the BEST in Ft Lauderdale. I too buy his bottled sauce, if the bottle comes remotely close to running out I run out and buy more before it does, can't barbeque at home without his sauce. ;)

http://www.tomjenkinsbbq.com/

Thank you Bequia.

Can members of the public have breakfast at the Lago Mar without booking?

I'm afraid not, the Lago Mar uses a cashless system similar to cruise ships. Only registered guests can make purchases at the hotel.

Archived