Beware seat assignments when UA changes flight times

CHEZMARYLOU

In October we booked a flight to Anchorage via Chicago and paid for economy plus seats on the Chicago to Anc flight. I checked the flights a month ago and there was a 5 minute schedule change and a change in flight # that I did not notice. I checked the flights again today and discovered that we lost the premium economy seats. I tried to reinstate them and was asked to pay for them again. When I called United the agents 1st response was "they would refund the price of the upgraded seats and I could rebook them". I pointed out that the price had increased but she said there was nothing she could do. I told her this was unacceptable and insisted on talking to a supervisor. Suddenly her "support team" was able to reinstate the seats that we originally booked with no additional charge.

Just a heads up for anyone flying UA and booking premium economy,

Mary Lou

In October we booked a flight to Anchorage via Chicago and paid for economy plus seats on the Chicago to Anc flight. I checked the flights a month ago and there was a 5 minute schedule change and a change in flight # that I did not notice. I checked the flights again today and discovered that we lost the premium economy seats. I tried to reinstate them and was asked to pay for them again. When I called United the agents 1st response was "they would refund the price of the upgraded seats and I could rebook them". I pointed out that the price had increased but she said there was nothing she could do. I told her this was unacceptable and insisted on talking to a supervisor. Suddenly her "support team" was able to reinstate the seats that we originally booked with no additional charge.

Just a heads up for anyone flying UA and booking premium economy,

Mary Lou

Thanks for posting. Similar thing happened with me as well.

A few things to clarify:

- Economy Plus on United is not "premium economy". You get more legroom, which is great on long flights. Everything else is identical to regular economy. That's not the case on many other non-US airlines where the airport experience, inflight service, etc. are all upgraded over regular economy.

- You can be bumped back to regular economy for any number of reasons. Premiere Platinum and higher members have higher priority over E+ subscribers, who in turn have priority over one-time E+ passengers.

Devil's in the details and it appears UA followed their rules exactly: http://www.united.com/cms/en-us/products/travelproducts/pages/economyplus.aspx

Not being apologist for UA and sorry that happened. With any travel reservation you're entering a contract with the provider and it's important to know the rules and terms (which are often grossly biased against the customer, but are the rules).

A few things to clarify:

- Economy Plus on United is not "premium economy". You get more legroom, which is great on long flights. Everything else is identical to regular economy. That's not the case on many other non-US airlines where the airport experience, inflight service, etc. are all upgraded over regular economy.

- You can be bumped back to regular economy for any number of reasons. Premiere Platinum and higher members have higher priority over E+ subscribers, who in turn have priority over one-time E+ passengers.

Devil's in the details and it appears UA followed their rules exactly: http://www.united.com/cms/en-us/products/travelproducts/pages/economyplus.aspx

Not being apologist for UA and sorry that happened. With any travel reservation you're entering a contract with the provider and it's important to know the rules and terms (which are often grossly biased against the customer, but are the rules).

I agree we could bet bumped but we lost the seats that we had paid for. There are plenty of open premium economy seats on this flight and when we tried to reinstate the ones we paid for we were being asked to pay again. If they are going to move us to economy then we are due a refund.

Mary Lou

I agree we could bet bumped but we lost the seats that we had paid for. There are plenty of open premium economy seats on this flight and when we tried to reinstate the ones we paid for we were being asked to pay again. If they are going to move us to economy then we are due a refund.

Mary Lou

Please carefully re-read the link in my post. The rules clearly state that UA can and will do exactly as you described. So, it's unclear what the complaint or concern is. I agree it sorta stinks and your caveat is good for those who leap, then look. :) You should be issued a refund but not for awhile...UA needs the "float" on the money you paid!

Not sure how you determined there are many open E+ seats (again, a misnomer to call them "premium economy"). The seating chart on the airline's website doesn't reflect reality for many reasons. If you're looking at a subscription site such as KVS or Expertflyer, and they show good E+ availability, then UA has probably determined that those seats will be filled by premium status customers and E+ subscribers.

Edited by kenish

Mary Lou

As stated, you will get a refund. kenish, UA could care less about their FFs or those who subscribe to E+ access. They would rather sell those E+ seats! They are never blocked off!

I hate this "feature" on UA. You carefully chose the E+ seats you want, and then pay if you are required. Then, there is an equipment swap, and you are seated in a totally different seat. Unless you find a sympathetic phone agent who will simply move you to the same seat, or a similar one,(and unless you have status in their FF program, this isn't going to happen), they have to refund your original payment, and you have to start all over again.

And, if the equipment has changed, you may have to pay a higher fee for that aisle seat you want, which really seems unfair. You weren't responsible for the change.

I had an award booking and paid for E+ seats. Then, I found a great fare, cancelled the award booking and just purchased the seats. I get no refund for my E+ purchase and I can't "transfer" it to my purchased tickets, even though they are on the same flight.

This is one of the reasons I now don't have any status on UA; I no longer am loyal to them because of these ridiculous changes.

Edited by 6rugrats