British Posters/Friends . . .Hope you are ok!

Namvet4

LONDON - Emergency workers battled rising waters Monday to rescue people trapped by floods that swallowed large swaths of central Britain. Roads were submerged, and tens of thousands of people were left without electricity and drinking water.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19905790/

To any of you or your family and friends who may be afflicted and/or effected by this natural disaster, my prayers are with you and I hope you will soon be safe and sound....

Speaking for myself, we're high enough to be safe.

However I've watched an ITN News special tonight which was horrific. However what really impressed me was that no-one was complaining that "they" hadn't done this, that or the other. Instead there was a quiet fortitude and resignation that was far more impressive.

I'm not sure how I'd cope were we in the position that some people are. It's horrific, and - just like a hurricane - shows exactly how powerless we are in the face of Mother Nature.

It is hardly surprising that the news reaches the other side of the pond, but it is nice hearing that the cousins are thinking of us.

Matthew

I was just reading about the horrible flooding on the BBC. Please know that all of you who are affected by this are in our thoughts. I hope this all ends very soon for you.

Betsy

Seeing this kind of loss people must endure is heart wrenching.

What makes me really, really angry is that EVEN NOW the government are planning on building tens of thousands of homes on flood plains. How they can't look at the news and come out and say "sorry guys, bad idea, we'll think of something else" is beyond me.

Matthew

Myself and Lexxity are fine. Like Matthew, we are high enough not to have been affected. Also, I think they are mad to build the houses, especially as the insurance companies are refusing any more newbuilds.

I am happy to say Lancashire has avoided the floods (so far)

It's easy to build on flood plains, they are nice and flat. You would have to be mad to live there though.

My thoughts are with those who have been flooded.

Myself and Lexxity are fine. Like Matthew, we are high enough not to have been affected. Also, I think they are mad to build the houses, especially as the insurance companies are refusing any more newbuilds.

Glad to hear you and Lexxity are fine.

Betsy

What makes me really, really angry is that EVEN NOW the government are planning on building tens of thousands of homes on flood plains. How they can't look at the news and come out and say "sorry guys, bad idea, we'll think of something else" is beyond me.

Matthew

Maybe the ruling party is suggesting building flats for the minority aprty members? <LOL>

Not knocking either party. just the mindsets of pols!

Either that or someone's brother-in-law owns a construction company that wants to make some fast cash and knows they don't have to build to last!

Don't mean to make light of your situation.

Mother Nature always lets us know who is boss, lest we get uppity and forget!

Hope all are well

Karie,

sitting in rain herself at the moment

Matthew

Government can always be counted on to do things the wrong way and with other peoples' money.

We just watched a news story about the flooding on the BBC News, and I, too, was impressed with how calm and strong they all were, even with their water off and no electricity.

Any idea if/when the rain will ever stop?

Do any of you know how Worcester fared in the Midlands? We have elderly friends that live there.

There does appear to be a warning of possible flooding close to the river - but away from the river the town seems fine. You can check on any area in the UK here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/?lang=_e

Enter the place name in the 'Flood Map' box on the right hand side and then view the map of potential flooding.

The local press seems to suggest that while the water is high, the town is still above water:

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/

Peter

Matthew

Unfortunately often when they look to build elsewhere they get hit by NIMBY-ism (Not In My Back Yard). But I'd agree - the Thames Gateway is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe they could offer to build an MP's town there... certainly commutable to the H of P (they could have a coach or two) and see how many take up the offer. Alternatively....just moor up a couple of old cruise ships......

Jo

(who lives safely in London at the top of a hill)

However I've watched an ITN News special tonight which was horrific. However what really impressed me was that no-one was complaining that "they" hadn't done this, that or the other. Instead there was a quiet fortitude and resignation that was far more impressive.

Matthew

Gee, Matthew, could you be comparing this reaction to the typical American reaction? I fear that it's typically American to whine and blame "them." Or perhaps the news people are just very good at finding the complainers and putting them on TV. A few years ago, a moderately strong hurricane hit Florida after several days of warnings, during which time people could easily stock up on supplies. The day after the storm passed, people were on the news stamping their little feet and asking "Where's FEMA (Federal Emergency Management) with my bottled water?"

Glad to hear everyone who has posted so far is all right. Hoping for the best for everyone!

Kathy

It is encouraging to see a statement of the "British stiff upper lip" that I have heard and read so much about! ;)

It is hardly surprising that the news reaches the other side of the pond, but it is nice hearing that the cousins are thinking of us.

Matthew

Periodically we "colonials" due express a modicum of concern for our distant relations . . . I am hope full that all have weathered (no pun intended) this calamity. I can more than sympathize with the feelings expressed toward the "government" - Political "bullheadedness" is not an American exclusive and knows no geographic bounds!

It is encouraging to see a statement of the "British stiff upper lip" that I have heard and read so much about! ;)

I listened on the radio this morning to an elderly couple being rescued from the upper floor of their house - she arthritic, he ex-forces with a couple of broken ribs. They introduced themselves to the reporter, who then tried to get them to wax pathetic about their ordeal - the response 'Oh, we're all right now - and there's thousands in the same boat'! Back to the Studio....

....I fear 24 hour news coverage with everyone's '15 minutes of fame' drives a lot of this 'emoting on cue'.

Mind you, I think the folks in New Orleans did have reason to complain about their treatment - I don't know how it looked over there, but over here the US Military initially looked like an occupying power.

At the same time I was reading an account about the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. The post office was up and running, with branches re-opened, or set up in tents by 5pm the day of the quake. And the first relief train from Los Angeles arrived by midnight. Did wonders for morale.

Peter

I listened on the radio this morning to an elderly couple being rescued from the upper floor of their house - she arthritic, he ex-forces with a couple of broken ribs. They introduced themselves to the reporter, who then tried to get them to wax pathetic about their ordeal - the response 'Oh, we're all right now - and there's thousands in the same boat'! Back to the Studio....

....I fear 24 hour news coverage with everyone's '15 minutes of fame' drives a lot of this 'emoting on cue'.

The couple in quesetion sound a lot like my elderly Brit relatives. I'm surprised the news bothered to show anyone with so much class--sobbing/whining/complaining victims make for better drama. Whenever there's a disaster of some sort, you can always see a newsperson shoving a microphone in someone's face and asking 'how do you feel?' I hate that.

Mind you, I think the folks in New Orleans did have reason to complain about their treatment - I don't know how it looked over there, but over here the US Military initially looked like an occupying power.

At the same time I was reading an account about the San Francisco earthquake of 1906. The post office was up and running, with branches re-opened, or set up in tents by 5pm the day of the quake. And the first relief train from Los Angeles arrived by midnight. Did wonders for morale.

Peter

New Orleans WAS a nightmare, and people there did have a right to complain. Your comment about a military occupation is ironic in light of your next comment. The military had a lot to do with the initial organization after the SF '06 quake. The commander at the Presidio (then a military post in SF) recognized the magnitude of the disaster and took charge.

Well everyone I am home from the 12 night T/A on QM2.

FANTASTIC! Home to glorious sunshine here in Harrogate and I do feel for those with the flooding problems as prior to leaving here there had been severe flooding in Yorkshire. Not where I live but in Sheffield in particular. A boy of 13 was swept away by the floods and a 28 year old man had his foot trapped in some sort of grill in the land of a farmer he worked for. The emergency services were there and really they should have amputated his foot or leg. Instead he died of hypothermia and was in water right up to his neck and lower face. They were giving him oxygen and he died because in my opinion the emergency services should have had his foot amputated. Maybe someone has already posted this but such a sad loss of life. 28 years old! Such a serious lack of judgement. I am a midwife and nurse retired since 1998 but I did work in accident and emergency as a Sister and this episode distressed me greatly.

Just back Penny and yes I too fell in love with the GREAT Queen and will post later as I am literally in the door and I need to eat and open my mail.

Speak to you soon.

Sue

Well everyone I am home from the 12 night T/A on QM2.

Just back Penny and yes I too fell in love with the GREAT Queen and will post later as I am literally in the door and I need to eat and open my mail.

Speak to you soon.

Sue

Welcome home Sue....I'm so glad to read this...and so glad you weren't affected by that dreadful weather. And I"m thrilled to read that you fell in love too...isn't she grand? Pull my review back up when you've got yourself sorted out and we can chat there instead of here. I knew you were landing today, so it's good to know you're home safe and sound...look forward to hearing more about your fabulous trip...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Unfortunately often when they look to build elsewhere they get hit by NIMBY-ism (Not In My Back Yard). But I'd agree - the Thames Gateway is a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe they could offer to build an MP's town there... certainly commutable to the H of P (they could have a coach or two) and see how many take up the offer. Alternatively....just moor up a couple of old cruise ships......

Jo

(who lives safely in London at the top of a hill)

Well , folks

I think Jo here has managed to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and solve the problem of losing our glorious Queen to Dubai!

Perhaps the Environmental Ministry (hope I got that right!) can buy her (or commandeer her- I think most won't mind!) and tie herp - oh,. someohere round Tewksbury might be good1 WhoosH! Instant housing, that can ride the tides! And our belvoed Queen gets to state in jolly old England!

What do you think? <LOL>

Karie,

who should probably go to bed!

Archived