What to wear on California Coastal Late September

We will be on a California Coastal cruise in late September, leaving from L.A. with stops in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ensanada, Mexico. We know that we need layers (and jeans) for our San Francisco stop, as we will be going to Alcatraz and Muir Woods. I am unsure of what to wear both on sea days and in the other ports. Will shorts be too cold that time of year? Jeans? Capris? I understand that weather is not all that predictable, but some general guidelines would sure help with my packing plans. Thanks!

Your list sounds good, including the shorts and capris. We've found the ship is the same temp, no matter the temp outside.

San Francisco and Santa Barbara will be a bit cooler than San Diego and Ensenada.

Typically the September weather is on the hot-warm side in the Los Angeles area. BUT this year they are predicting an El Nino. Last El Nino it started mid-October and didn't stop pouring til May. Hopefully they are right. We really need the rain.

So funny I forgot to laugh. :rolleyes:

Not funny at all - but sadly all too often true.

But it is helpful to ship management when the crew dresses better than the passengers.

Makes it easier to tell them apart at the gangway.

We will be on a California Coastal cruise in late September, leaving from L.A. with stops in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ensanada, Mexico. We know that we need layers (and jeans) for our San Francisco stop, as we will be going to Alcatraz and Muir Woods. I am unsure of what to wear both on sea days and in the other ports. Will shorts be too cold that time of year? Jeans? Capris? I understand that weather is not all that predictable, but some general guidelines would sure help with my packing plans. Thanks!

Tee shirt, shorts, flip flops, OK, just bring a light wind breaker. Most likely you will not need one.

Please note that baseball caps must be worn backwards, especially if you are a man over 18. :(

They have spent a lot of money to prefect the ball hat. Wear it the right way. Back words look stupid. Only ones wearing it back words should be a catcher in baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

san francisco weather changes depending on time of day and neighborhood. tourist areas are warm in daytime, cool and breezing in afternoon and colder at night. western areas of town are cold all day if fog is in. often have a west wind of 20 mph starting about 4 pm.

fog is common on coast...but late sept/oct tends to be sunny and nice without fog. could rain..but layer and always carry a jacket in sf. no matter what the forecast or activity.