need help with cabin selection Carnival Conquest

beachbum53

Our daughter and niece (both adults) will be cruising with us on the Conquest. They are planning to book an ocean view cabin on the Main Deck (Deck 2). It looks like the majority of mid section cabins are under the galley (where there could be noise issues). I've also read some reviews complaining about engine noise being noticeable in the cabins in the aft section. A possibility might be cabin 2258 (port side) in the forward section. I realize that ship motion may be more noticeable in the forward section. However, there will have to be a compromise somewhere. I would think contending with the ship's motion would be more preferable to contending with noise from the galley or the engines. Can anyone that's had a cabin on the main deck tell me what you've experienced, especially if you had a forward cabin? Thanks.

I would think contending with the ship's motion would be more preferable to contending with noise from the galley or the engines.

I do agree with that totally. I have had forward cabins on deck 2 on other ships without complaints. I have also been aft on deck 2 on another ship, and I definitely prefer the motion of the front to the noise of the back.

However, you might not have to compromise at all. Half of the midship deck 2 rooms are NOT below the galley. The galley only runs from the midship elevators to the aft elevators. So if you stay up from the midship elevators, you will be fine. From 2360/2363 on forward will all be fine. I truly believe that being under the dining room is the most perfect spot on the entire ship. The dining room is empty all night long, so there is absolutely no chance of noise from above. Those are the only rooms that you can say that. Even when the dining room is being used, it's carpeted & people aren't stomping around, so you hear very little if anything. So you can have midship to reduce the noise & motion, and have no noise from above either. I think the dining room begins somewhere around 2328/2331. Even if those are all taken, being below the lobby or guest services is not bad either.

I would try to get a room that is not a connecting room. The only non-connecting rooms below the dining room are 3 or 4-person rooms. See if they'll let you book it. If not, you'll either be ending up pretty close to the forward rooms or you'll have to take a connecting room. There's also the option of a deck 1 OV midship room.

Edited by k2excursion

Thanks k2. Looking at the deck plans, it's a little hard to tell where the galley begins and ends. Armed with the info you've provided, I'll give our PVP a call and see what's available forward of 2360/2363. I wish that Carnival's web site was set up so that when you do a mock booking, you can see if a specific cabin is available, either in addition to or instead of the handful that Carnival posts.

I use cruisedeckplans dot com. They have a "drag decks" function so you can see which are under the galley and which are not.

I had 2342 (an inside) on Glory and it was not under the galley. It was a good, central location and we honestly didn't feel anything in that cabin. One night at dinner, some tablemates who were in Lido balcony cabins were talking about the storm the prior night and all the motion. We'd had no idea there had been a storm (in our nice, dark, inside cabin) and had felt absolutely nothing at all!

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I liked it down there.

Thanks NC! That info, combined with what k2 said, will be a huge help. I'll pass along the info to our daughter and niece, then it's up to them to choose. #2348 is looking like a pretty good choice. :)

I traveled on the conquest 2 years ago, unless they've worked on the AC I will never travel her again. 76-78 degrees the I entire cruise. MISERABLE!!!!

I'd like to think that, since that was two years ago, the AC's been fixed by now.

I traveled on the conquest 2 years ago, unless they've worked on the AC I will never travel her again. 76-78 degrees the I entire cruise. MISERABLE!!!!

Could you share what your room # was? The reason I ask is that reports of hot rooms have been talked about for awhile regarding just about every Carnival ship out there. It seems to be only certain rooms on those ships, while most of the others are just fine. If the OP knew your room, then they would know to avoid that one. My first cruise in 2003 on the Celebration was in a very hot room. We would have loved to have had 76-78 degrees! The next year on the same ship, just a few doors down, our room was nice & cool.

OP, I agree that 2348 would be a great choice.

I'm one of those people who is freezing when others are comfortable. I hate during the summer when it's hot out and dressed appropriately, you walk inside and the A/C is blasting non-stop.

Anyway, I had cabin recently that was too warm. I'm thinking it was on Freedom (since I know it wasn't Splendor last November or Pride before that, so it must've been Freedom). It was an inside on Riviera (I have one in the same area coming up on Conquest on Sunday). That was cabin 1298. Called the service desk and someone came and checked the temp. It was 74 and I was told that that was within normal range.

Did it bother me "that" much? No. I just like it cooler when I'm sleeping. Mostly so I can snuggle down under Carnival's comfy comforter. Instead, I just slept with a sheet.

I imagine there are men who would've been uncomfortable as their internal thermostat seems to be require that all spaces be cooled to meat-locker levels. :p

I'm not trying to take my own thread off-topic, but when it comes to heat / a.c., whether on a cruise, or at home, we all have different comfort levels. Even my wife and I have different preferences. So, when someone on here makes a comment about their cabin (or another area on the ship) being too cold or too warm, I figure that's based on their own personal preference, and not necessarily the "norm". If there truly was a malfunction with the ship's a.c. (or heat), I would think that the ship's maintenance guys would do their best to get it fixed.

dont be cheap and stay on deck 2 or 1 they both suck..... your going on a cruise. spend the money and have them book upper deck or higher

It is your right to express your opinion. Perhaps a cabin on Deck 1 or 2 would "suck" for you, but not necessarily for someone else. You say "spend the money". A person can't spend what they don't have. There are many that go on a cruise on a tight budget, and still have a great time. And, believe it or not, there are those that, even if they can afford a cabin on a higher deck, actually prefer having a cabin on one of the lower decks.

Me too.

My sister and I cruised together in April 2012.

It was miserably hot in our cabin.

I cannot imagine it in August.

And I had called them about it on embarkation day and they sent someone who said that it was acceptable, or something to that effect.

Conquest is my least favorite ship of all time.

Seriously.

Edited by mzloolue

dont be cheap and stay on deck 2 or 1 they both suck..... your going on a cruise. spend the money and have them book upper deck or higher

I echo beachbum53's response to this. I am one of those that loves decks 1 & 2. Others are certainly free to hate the lower decks, but many people do love them. I would pay more for those than the higher decks if I had to. There are so many conveniences to being on the lower decks. The big advantages are never needing to use elevators when the elevators are the busiest. Deck 7 has great "just use the stairs" conveniences too, but you still need elevators at some very busy elevator times. Another advantage to lower decks is less motion. Some people also prefer to have an oceanview room to a balcony, and OVs are all on the lower decks. Plus, as was said, some people aren't super rich. They are cruising on a tight budget. They get what they can afford. Plus, even if someone is "cheap", that's their choice to be frugal. Good for them.

I echo beachbum53's response to this. I am one of those that loves decks 1 & 2. Others are certainly free to hate the lower decks, but many people do love them. I would pay more for those than the higher decks if I had to. There are so many conveniences to being on the lower decks. The big advantages are never needing to use elevators when the elevators are the busiest. Deck 7 has great "just use the stairs" conveniences too, but you still need elevators at some very busy elevator times. Another advantage to lower decks is less motion. Some people also prefer to have an oceanview room to a balcony, and OVs are all on the lower decks. Plus, as was said, some people aren't super rich. They are cruising on a tight budget. They get what they can afford. Plus, even if someone is "cheap", that's their choice to be frugal. Good for them.

I would like to add to this. On our most recent cruise, on the Breeze, we had a cove balcony. Loved it! All cove balconies are on Deck 2. We quickly discovered that the forward and mid ship elevators were typically busier than the aft elevators. The two exceptions were embarkation and debarkation days. I suspect this is true on most of the ships.

Yep. Same here.

I love it down on Riviera or Main. And yes, I book there partly because it's cheaper. If sailing in an inside on Riviera means I can sail 2-3 times a year rather than in a balcony once a year, guess which I'm going to choose?

I'm usually solo these days, and I'm single, so I'm already paying for 100% of every expense I have in life. Why should I pay more for a cabin in which I spend so little time? There's plenty of "free" deck space on the ship.

I personally think it's silly to "waste" money on balcony cabin, let alone a suite! If I had no budget concerns, I'd be sailing a luxury line, not Carnival!

So, one person may be considered "cheap" while another may be considered "wasteful." But it's none of my business what others spend or why, is it?

I take the stairs the entire cruise as well. I get more exercise by stair climbing on cruise ships than I get in six months of sitting at a desk working. If I can keep the expenses down and keep from gaining weight, why not?

I was just on the Conquest and had a room 9215, which is an interior Forward on the Lido deck. I think I will try to be in that same area on every cruise I go on. I understand the charm of an ocean view on deck 2, as you are closer to the water but the convenience of being on Lido can't be beat. I walked 30 yards and I was out on the pool deck. If I wanted to go back to my room for so much as using the bathroom it was no big deal. People in our group that were on deck 2 were complaining about the vibration but I dont know what room they had. However, if they needed something from their room, it was quite a trek.