Delta Skymiles redemption question

patterson3

For anyone who has experience at redeeming Skymiles, I was hoping for some advice. I'm hoping to plan a multi-city trip to Hawaii (First leg Bos-> Kona, the return leg OGG-> Bos) and had a few questions-

Are multi-city trips typically more expensive than roundtrips? And I assume that there are a few seats set aside per flight for frequent flyers and once those are sold I would have to use the "pay with miles" feature? If that's the case then I'd be better off booking the minute the month we want to go opens up, as opposed to waiting....?

Thank you in advance!

Just some other facts (that may or may not be pertinent)- we'll be going in Nov, 2014 (relative offseason for Hawaii), and we're open to to flying on any dates (so hopefully that will increase our likelihood of finding something reasonable)....

. I'm hoping to plan a multi-city trip to Hawaii (First leg Bos-> Kona, the return leg OGG-> Bos) and had a few questions-

Are multi-city trips typically more expensive than roundtrips? And I assume that there are a few seats set aside per flight for frequent flyers and once those are sold I would have to use the "pay with miles" feature? If that's the case then I'd be better off booking the minute the month we want to go opens up, as opposed to waiting....?

There is never a guarantee that any award seats will ever be available. There isn't a "set" number reserved on every flight. Your routing shouldn't cost more than a round trip. I don't know what you mean with "pay with miles" feature; when you use your Skymiles, you are "paying" with miles.

Just some other facts (that may or may not be pertinent)- we'll be going in Nov, 2014 (relative offseason for Hawaii), and we're open to to flying on any dates (so hopefully that will increase our likelihood of finding something reasonable)....

I looked at your routing for this November. Doing a quick search, I see nothing below a "Medium Price" (65,000 miles RT in economy). In fact, I don't see anything below 65,000 miles RT for any month for travel to Hawaii. I would start searching as soon as booking for your dates opens.

I don't know what you mean with "pay with miles" feature; when you use your Skymiles, you are "paying" with miles.

Delta offers a Pay With Miles option for Delta SkyMiles credit card holders. It allows you to offset part of the cost of your trip with miles as opposed to an all-miles award ticket. More details here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-with-miles.html

Delta offers a Pay With Miles option for Delta SkyMiles credit card holders. It allows you to offset part of the cost of your trip with miles as opposed to an all-miles award ticket. More details here:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/use-miles/pay-with-miles.html

Thank you both for your responses!

Thank you both for your responses!

Sorry I don't have more advice on redeeming award flights, I haven't tried to do it in quite a while with the exception of an easy domestic flight here & there. Back when I was redeeming more International award flights I would typically call the first day inventory opened - it was more important to me to get the seats, in Business Elite, than it was to get the lowest level award. I was often booking for 3-4 people at a time which can limit inventory, and sometimes with a variety of upgrade options ($$ + SWU, $$ + miles, all miles) thus making securing seats the priority. FWIW I don't recall any flights 'costing' the high level across the board...guess I had pretty good luck! :)

Being flexible on your dates may be in your favor, unless awards to Hawaii don't tend to fluctuate, which I don't know. You certainly have enough time to track trends (i.e. are award levels ever higher/lower via various connection cities) until your booking window opens so that you're prepared.

Delta offers a Pay With Miles option for Delta SkyMiles credit card holders. It allows you to offset part of the cost of your trip with miles as opposed to an all-miles award ticket.

Basically, it lets you redeem miles for a penny towards a paid ticket. In general, it's a lousy use of miles -- it's often better to pay the medium level redemption for an award ticket than getting a partial "discount". But DL likes it because they can take SkyMiles off the balance sheet at a reduced rate.

Also, you might want to look into using SkyMiles for an award ticket on Alaska. They serve Hawaii from multiple gateways. Would probably require research through either EF or KVS, plus a phone call to Delta SkyMiles.

Basically, it lets you redeem miles for a penny towards a paid ticket. In general, it's a lousy use of miles -- it's often better to pay the medium level redemption for an award ticket than getting a partial "discount". But DL likes it because they can take SkyMiles off the balance sheet at a reduced rate.

Exactly.

Plus if you use the "Pay with Miles" feature to pay for any portion of the flight, you earn no miles for that flight.

Also, you might want to look into using SkyMiles for an award ticket on Alaska. They serve Hawaii from multiple gateways. Would probably require research through either EF or KVS, plus a phone call to Delta SkyMiles.

That's interesting, Flyertalker. I had never considered using skymiles on another airline. I didn't know it was possible! Is Alaska the only option? I know Delta has partner airlines, but is Alaska the only one that serves Hawaii?

That's interesting, Flyertalker. I had never considered using skymiles on another airline. I didn't know it was possible! Is Alaska the only option? I know Delta has partner airlines, but is Alaska the only one that serves Hawaii?
AS is the only domestic partner - all the others are international carriers, mostly in SkyTeam. Don't know off the top of my head if Aeromexico flies to Hawaii (you might be able to route through MEX if it does). It's the only other North American partner and none have cabotage rights within the USA.

AS is the only domestic partner - all the others are international carriers, mostly in SkyTeam. Don't know off the top of my head if Aeromexico flies to Hawaii (you might be able to route through MEX if it does). It's the only other North American partner and none have cabotage rights within the USA.

Thanks again.

Archived