Lunenberg & Peggys Cove

drneal

I will be sailing on Aug 27 on HAL

I would like to go to both Peggys Cove (Lighthouse) and then to Lunenberg on Sept 1.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what time to get to the lighthouse to avoids large crowds?

I was planning on getting there 9:40-10. The Ship docks at 8 AM - 4 PM

I thought 45 min to Peggy Cove, spend 20-30 min and then Lunnenberg

1 hr 20 min to lunenberg arrive 11:30-12

Lunch 12-1:00

Leave 1:30 to Halifax via highway 1 hr 20 min

Be back for boarding between 3:00- 3:30

Too close?

Yes you may avoid the largest crowds by going to Lunenburg first. It will be a tight day and you need to know what your final boarding time is.

Or get off the ship and get the car ASAP and you will get to Peggy's Cove before the ships' tour busses.

Thank you

I read on other reviews that when people got there between 4-5 it was still very crowded and did not thin out until about 7 PM.

Most posts recommend getting there early. I'm just not sure what "early" means.

I don't think that we can disembark much before 8:30 AM so the earliest we could get there without going to the cemetery or maple syrup shop would be around 9:15-9:30.

Has anyone gone to Peggys cove after lunch? Was it crowded?

There's a live webcam at PC. You might want to look at it various times of the day, closer to when you're there, to get an idea if any particular time would be better based on what ships are there this month. It's at

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/peggys-cove-lighthouse/

Keep in mind that Peggy's Cove, at least now (assume in the fall as well) is one hour ahead of New York, Montreal, Quebec City, etc.

I always check the port's website to see if there are going to be other ships in Halifax the same day: http://cruisehalifax.ca/our-visitors/cruise-schedule/#august

Here's webcam that shows major cruise ship docking area: http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/pier-21/ Where you'll see a ship docked (if you view before it leaves!) is the major cruise ship pier, but there are also a few piers "above" there and just off-camera which might have ships if there are multiple ships in town on a particular day.

I just checked, and there's a huge cruise ship there right now (Grandeur of the Seas). Peggy's Cove is also quite crowded right now according to the PC webcam.

Edited by roothy123

Hi we also wanted to do both Peggy's Cover and Lunnenberg--

As we are too lazy on vacation to want to drive our selves, we are using Halifax Taxi Tours-- It will be an expensive day- I posted on our roll call to get another couple to join us and split the cost. Thanks goodness they wanted to do it as well. The taxi is $55 CAD per hour--- But Princess only had a bus going to Lunenberg and back, no Peggy's Cove. We are figuring a very short quick photo stop by light house, first thing in am. Then heading for Lunneberg--

The plan: Pick up at 9:00 am- Get to Peggy's Cove around 10-10:30- leave around 11:00-11:30- get to Lunnenberg by 1:00- Do lunch, then buggy ride by

fisheries museum. do ironworks "museum" and walk around a bit. Leave Lunnenberg for Halifax at 3:00- (ship leaves at 6:00)---

So it is a bit of a tight fit, but manageable with careful planning.