Lost Mayan Kingdom Water Park open?

haply

Hello-

We are sailing the Norwegian Dawn Thanksgiving week and one of the ports will be Costa Maya. I just noticed that Norwegian added an excursion for the Lost Mayan Kingdom Water Park. I looked it up and it looks like it will be a brand new water park at/near the port of Costa Maya? One article said that it is due to open Dec. 2015. Looks like it will be a pretty big water park-many water slides, lazy river, pools, zip lines. Anybody heard anything about this? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Double check with NCL and see. I know the developers have been wanting to open ASAP but from what I hear there've been a number of issues causing delay.

Best bet would be to wait until you're on board then book. The ship's excursion folks should have latest information.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the update! We will be sailing the week after opening. Do you have any information on how far it is from the port/how to get there? Also, do you have to purchase the tickets on the ship or can you purchase when you get there?

Can't speak to ticket purchases or entry restrictions but according to the maps I've seen The entrance is just outside the cruise port. There's been an empty stretch between the cruise port gates and the shops in Nuevo Mahahual (formerly Las Casitas, not to be confused with Mahahual and the malecon)to your right. I believe that's where it is. According to an earlier press release I saw, the park is open to anyone. Can hold about 1000 guests a day. Supposedly has a micro brewery on the property. let's hope it's a true micro brewery along the lines of Cerveceria Calavera and not a dump off spot for kegs of left offerings from Groupo Modelo (Corona), or FEMSA (Dos Equis).

There is a recent video of the tour there earlier this month on costamayalife.com

• 2 weeks later...

We sail on the 22nd and have been watching this. Norwegian also just added the park-only option. I will probably wait until I get to Costa Maya and make a decision then. We had no excursions planned at this port anyway so maybe they will let us check it out first (especially if right off the pier). Not sure if the slides will be too extreme for our young children?

We sail on the 22nd and have been watching this. Norwegian also just added the park-only option. I will probably wait until I get to Costa Maya and make a decision then. We had no excursions planned at this port anyway so maybe they will let us check it out first (especially if right off the pier). Not sure if the slides will be too extreme for our young children?

It's not right off the pier. Nor directly on the ocean, unless they took over the old Cha Chi beach. But just outside the cruise port complex.

Edited by crewsweeper

There's a height restriction of 48 inches for anyone to do the slides from what I've read.

Yep, the 48-inch height restriction will limit the 4 & 5 year-olds in our group. Will wait until the port, see what the weather is, etc. Would be nice to be able to take a tour around the water park though, just for future consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

We note that NCL has some weight restrictions for this excursion. My assumption is that they are related to the use of ziplines (and maybe some slides), but not entrance to the park and just swimming in pools/lazy river? Anyone know for sure?

My teens are interested in doing the slides/ziplines...their old parents are just interested in chilling in a pool and while they have fun (and making sure the teens are safe and polite to others--which they almost always are).