Transformation Strategy - Phase 1: Discovery, Phase 2: ?...

Helen Caron has repeatedly said that Discovery is phase one of the new modernisation and transformation of Thomson Cruises, but what do we think will be next.

Apparently, on 13th May when the financial results are revealed, a clear picture of how Thomson Cruises will be structured is going to be announced.

I'd guess, Spirit to go at the end of next summer, with Majesty to follow April 17, and Legend of the Seas and Mein Schiff 1 to replace them. Then eventually Dream and Celebration to be replaced by Grandeur of the Seas and Mein Schiff 2 for summer 18.

Also, they mentioned they want more online bookings, so I'm hoping for a website overhaul with features like prebook your cabin then and there.

Also, they mentioned they want more online bookings, so I'm hoping for a website overhaul with features like prebook your cabin then and there.

they do seem to be overhauling their online booking system right now?

we have just booked (online) for christmas 2015, on the booking confirmation email is this 'quote'

'At Thomson Cruises, we're making some changes so things will be easier for our customers. Over the next few days, we'll be transferring your holiday to our new reservation service and so we'll be sending you a new look booking confirmation and a new ATOL certificate'

plus a link to an online survey asking what booking facilities people wanted to see on their (new, easier) website

I mentioned that i wanted to be able to book a specified cabin there and then and to be able to pay the balance online

I got an email from Thomsons a couple of days ago talking up the Discovery.

Very disappointed that they've simply put it on the western Med run from Palma bouncing around well covered ports of call.

Yes, we got the same email. A bit disappointed as we have been to many of the ports. We did think the itineraries would be more exciting.

have they hinted at where the discovery may be based in winter 2016 at all??

cant remeber when they will release their brochure (for winter 2016/17)?

i hope its thailand.... really hope its thailand

maybe they could base the ship in costa ricca? (or cuba even) that would cut out the 2 long sea days from jamaica each week

its the 2 sea days and the visits to both falmouth and mobay in the same week that is putting me off booking dream next winter (we've booked celebration instead)

Edited by geomagot

If the strategy involves 'owning' the fleet then what to do with them in the winter is the limiting factor. IF you can fill 2 ships in the caribbean add the Canaries and you have a 3 ship operation. I can't see them affording 4 ships on a permanent basis.

So it is splendour, legend and Meinshiff 1 with Spirit/Majesty on summer charter.

I hope they make a better job of overhauling their online booking system than they did of the release of the on line check in, I know it's working ok now but we were one of the unfortunates on the Dream in the Caribbean last year when it went live, was not good not being able to get boarding cards for return.

Note just picked up the new brochure so in the process of planning a 'voyage of Discovery' for next year, think we will give it a few weeks to settle in so looking at Sept:)

I hope they make a better job of overhauling their online booking system than they did of the release of the on line check in, I know it's working ok now but we were one of the unfortunates on the Dream in the Caribbean last year when it went live, was not good not being able to get boarding cards for return.

Note just picked up the new brochure so in the process of planning a 'voyage of Discovery' for next year, think we will give it a few weeks to settle in so looking at Sept:)

We were on that cruise too. What a lot of upset and frustration there was!! But I talked to a couple who just refused point blank to print theirs and Reception did it for them and delivered them to their cabin.

"plus a link to an online survey asking what booking facilities people wanted to see on their (new, easier) website"

Meandering off topic in respect of cruises - I look at the Late Deals on Thomsons website to see if anything in the hotel package holidays attracts us.

The airport selection automatically defaults to London which really hacks me off as you have to delete that when selecting another part of the UK.

I suspect other punters who don't live in that area feel likewise ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

"plus a link to an online survey asking what booking facilities people wanted to see on their (new, easier) website"

Meandering off topic in respect of cruises - I look at the Late Deals on Thomsons website to see if anything in the hotel package holidays attracts us.

The airport selection automatically defaults to London which really hacks me off as you have to delete that when selecting another part of the UK.

I suspect other punters who don't live in that area feel likewise ?

It does me too because I cannot delete so e of the London airports because they are "hiding" behind some other print!!