Layover in Singapore between cruise disembarkation and night flight-what to do?

lorene1

Hi there fellow members

My DH and I disembark Azamara Quest @8am in Singapore and have an 11pm flight back through Seoul to LA. Anyone got any suggestions on what we can do with our luggage and ourselves for about 12 hours? We will have had 1.5 days in Singapore at the trips' start, so presumably have done the usual city tours by then....

Thanks!

Hi there,

You can check with the Singapore Airport Information Counter, they run a free tour to the city for people waiting at the airport as a layover. See link below.

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour

http://www.lashworldtour.com/2011/04/10-free-things-to-do-at-singapores-changi-airport.html

As for your bags, see the link below:

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/facilities-and-services/baggage-services

Hope it helps

Thank you ! After I wrote my post, I discovered the airport has a wealth of options, including the free city tours, spa services, and a pool option! Amazing stuff which will make our departure interval a LOT less boring.

Thank you ! After I wrote my post, I discovered the airport has a wealth of options, including the free city tours, spa services, and a pool option! Amazing stuff which will make our departure interval a LOT less boring.

Yups, hope you have a good time!

Welcome to Singapore!

You know, we have quite a 'bad' reputation where the international press is concerned. They are almost always writing critical pieces about us. Hope your trip here will give you a more local perspective.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Yups, hope you have a good time!

Welcome to Singapore!

You know, we have quite a 'bad' reputation where the international press is concerned. They are almost always writing critical pieces about us. Hope your trip here will give you a more local perspective.

These days I take everything the news says with a large grain of salt!!

Perhaps you can answer a question for me.. we are arriving on the Sapphire Princess on 9/20 and out flight is at 5:50AM on 9/21 so we booked a room at the Crown Point Hotel at the airport. 1- If we take the princess transfer to the airport .. will it be easy to walk to the Crown Point Hotel with luggage or will we need a cab ? Would it be easier to just book a cab or car to meet us at the Cruise Terminal. I understand that there is a Grand Prix going on which will close streets and create some crowding and never having been to Singapore I have not idea how best to navigate that situation .

Thank you

Kathy

I do not know any Crown Point Hotel in Singapore.

Did you get it wrong? There is a Crowne Plaza Hotel at the Changi Airport.

Depending on which airport terminal (1, 2 or 3) you are at. Hotel is closer to terminal 3.

Crowne Plaza Changi Airport is located within the immediate vicinity of Singapore Changi Airport. Linked to Terminal 3 via covered walkways. Guests can also reach Terminals 1 and 2 via Changi Airport's automated People Mover System comprising ten train services. The People Mover System runs from 5.00am to 2.30am (including Sundays and Public Holidays). If it is out of service, a free shuttle service is available. You can ask the Airport information counter on where to get the train and get to the Hotel.

Not sure how much it cost for transfer from the cruise terminal to the airport. But cab is about S$25 during peak hours to the airport. However during the disembaking, you may find a shortage of cabs as everyone need one. Unless you have a cell phone that can call for a cab (surcharge S$3), you will probably have to wait for some time (20 to 30mins).

Edited by ASing1Cruise

These days I take everything the news says with a large grain of salt!!

Perhaps you can answer a question for me.. we are arriving on the Sapphire Princess on 9/20 and out flight is at 5:50AM on 9/21 so we booked a room at the Crown Point Hotel at the airport. 1- If we take the princess transfer to the airport .. will it be easy to walk to the Crown Point Hotel with luggage or will we need a cab ? Would it be easier to just book a cab or car to meet us at the Cruise Terminal. I understand that there is a Grand Prix going on which will close streets and create some crowding and never having been to Singapore I have not idea how best to navigate that situation .

Thank you

Kathy

The information provided by ASing1Cruise is correct.

The hotel at Changi Airport is called Crowne Plaza. Do check that you have booked the correct hotel.

I would assume that your Princess Transfer to Airport will give passengers the choice of drop-off, either at Terminals 1, 2 or 3. International flights depart from all 3 terminals and it would not make sense for the transfer to drop a passenger at say Terminal 1, if the flight departs at say Terminal 3.

In your case, to save on the hassle, I think booking the Princess Transfer to the Airport makes sense. Make sure they drop you off at Terminal 3. From the departure concourse, it is an easy walk to the hotel, which is connected directly to Terminal 3.

Thank you .. and you are both right is it Crowne Plaza Changi Airport .. apparently when I posted I had Crown Point (a few blocks from me ) in mind.

I appreciate the information .. that does put my mind at rest!

Here is something I would not(!!!) do: When we arrived in SIN 2 years ago on the RCI Voyager of the Seas, we were facing the same situation. I booked a room the the Crowne Plaza which was a good idea. Hotel is quite nice yet pricey.

I also had booked an excursion via RCL, which gave us a city tour, botanical garden and drop off at the airport. I thought that was a clever idea back then.

Turned out it wasn´t.

Instead it was one of the worst ideas ever! Disembarkation in SIN was pure chaos, the bus left late because passenger were not properly directed to busses and informed about the luggage process. The whole terminal was in chaos ( 2 ships in, so nothing unusual).

A lot of people trying to find the right bus, not knowing if their luggage would ever arrive at the aiport later etc. Utter chaos!!! Mainly down to cruise terminal staff and local RCL staff, really dropping the ball (after a fabulous cruise).

So the city tour was cut by about an hour because of the delay. No problem although we never got reimbursed for that or the ordeal we later went through.

The real horror however started at the airport. Picture 3 terminals, unfortunately no-one asked and marked the baggage lables with each passengers flight and terminal number, when we dropped our suitcases at the cruise terminal. That should have made us suspicious, however we were all also affected by the quite stressfull disembarkation situation. I was irginally thinking our luggage would be with us during the city tour. It was not!

It was transported seperately. Since none of the luggage was labelled correctly and since neither the tour operator nor RCL really cared, the luggage , or at least some if it, was later in the afternoon simply dropped curbside, yes outside 1 (!!) terminal at the airport, without supervision and any representative from RCL for assistance. It took about 30 minutes untill someone from airport security found out that there was unsupervised luggage in front of the terminal! Imagine their suprise (and ours) in times like these.

To make it worse, only about 30% of the luggage arrived. The rest was still at the cruise terminal, also unsupervised as it later turned out.

So imagine about 70 or more passengers all in different terminals, most in panic(!) and all in anger, searching for their bags after a strenous day in a super hot city, running from terminal to terminal, trying to find a rep, not knowing what was going on but getting the idea that they are probably in real trouble.

Much later and only after numerous calls to RCL and the tour operater, with the help of the lorry driver (who brought some of the bags) and one bus driver from the tour buses whom we somewhat held hostage, the rest of the luggage appeared 2-3 hours after we arrived at the aiport. You cannot believe our relieve when we finally found our bags. I swore back then, never ever will I leave my bags behind again.

It was a real nightmare, something I have never ever experienced anywhere in the world.

Just wanted to share this story in case you have similar ideas when you see this excursion being offered through your cruiseline. Don´t do it! Do it on your own, it´s probably even cheaper if you do but sure saves you stress and uncomfort!

By the way:

I am not sure SIN Changi Airport does give out free sightseeing tours for passengers departing. I think this is only on offer for those passengers in transit with 3+ hours to spare between arriving and departing from SIN. Either way, the rules are to be found on the net.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks to all for all the advice, particularly on the Free Airport tour (which we will try) and NOT to use the cruise line transport offer. I figure we will taxi to the airport, sign up for the tour, and spend the rest of the time in what looks to be a nice airport with things to do. We're always antsy to get home, but will try to maximize the possibilities.:D

Changi airport is the nicest airport in the world and there are loads of shops to look at, plenty of places to eat and lovely areas to sit in where you can just watch the world go by. It is so very clean and it is a pleasure to be there even though it is an airport and all you want to do is to get on a plane and be on the way to your destination.

Jennie

Hello. I am in the same position having to disembark a cruise ship in the morning and flight from Changi not until 23.35. I can sign up for a ship's tour which will drop me at the airport at around 14.00, but Swiss Air do not open their check-in/baggage drop until three hours before departure. Given I cannot check in the luggage (although I can check us in online) how can we access the main part of the airport, which I presume means going through security? Any ideas/suggestions welcome as I don't like the idea of hanging around in the public area for eight hours.

At Changi Airport there is an Ambassador Transit Hotel where you can hire a room for a short period or there is also the Ambassador Lounge where you can just relax. Here is the link to their website: http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-hotel

Hope this helps a little with your long day in Singapore.

Jennie

When we were in the same situation in Hong Kong, we booked a cheap hotel, dumped our bags and went off for the day. On our return we were able to relax, nap, shower and change before going to the airport. It was worth every penny not to feel "homeless" for the day

When we were in the same situation in Hong Kong, we booked a cheap hotel, dumped our bags and went off for the day. On our return we were able to relax, nap, shower and change before going to the airport. It was worth every penny not to feel "homeless" for the day

I think that's the best idea. I did know about the Transit Hotel Aussie Girl, but by definition, I assumed that Transit means you are airside and the point is, we can't check in our bags until 20.30 therefore cannot access airside until that time. Do most hotels allow you to book a room but only use it as a day room (paying the full rate)? I have never done this before.

Have you looked at the link I sent for the Transit Hotel. It is before you go through immigration. The prices were down the bottom of the page.. I would send an email asking for the tariff for the time you require. I think the tariff was around $90S for a day. It would probably be a lot cheaper for a shorter stay.

Jennier

Jennie

Whenever we've booked a room and early check in wasn't available, the hotel have always stored our bags til we returned to check in later in the day. We just take passports/valuables with us. Sometimes we've used the hotel pool, but usually go sightseeing

Be aware that the airport is *way* out of town, so if you want a cheap hotel to throw your bags in prior to sightseeing, this won't really work.

Have you thought about finding a private guide who would keep your bags in the van with you, and do you a nice, custom tour? Perhaps you could share the cost with a couple of others on your roll-call.

Have you looked at the link I sent for the Transit Hotel. It is before you go through immigration. The prices were down the bottom of the page.. I would send an email asking for the tariff for the time you require. I think the tariff was around $90S for a day. It would probably be a lot cheaper for a shorter stay.

Jennier

Jennie

Yes I did, but I think it's "before you go through immigration" only when arriving not when departing. It is on the other side of immigration when you are leaving. But thank you for the suggestion.

Wendy yes I did think of that, but although I asked on several boards, nobody came up with a suggestion of who I could use. I don't necessarily want a cheap hotel, and as I am travelling with two old crocks (sorry, sister and husband) we won't be doing a lot of sightseeing. It's as Suekay says, I just don't like feeling "homeless" with no access to bathroom, washroom or somewhere private just to have a short nap.

Check out the Grand Mercure Roxy if you won't want to be sightseeing. We stayed there precruise this year and have booked again for next year. Its not far from the airport and has a free shuttle, nice pool, opposite shopping mall and food court. Not too expensive either.

Yes I did, but I think it's "before you go through immigration" only when arriving not when departing. It is on the other side of immigration when you are leaving. But thank you for the suggestion.

I am sorry, I didn't read it properly as I was sure it was on the outside of the airport.

It is a pity that you cannot drop your bags off at Swiss Air as once you are on the airside of the airport, there are loads of places where you can rest and just take it easy.

We often stay at the lovely Crowne Plaza before and after a flight which is on the "outside" of the airport and we have taken the train from there. It is right at Terminal 3. That hotel isn't cheap but if you are dividing it between 3 people, then that is a different matter. It just depends on what you are looking for. http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/singapore/sincp/hoteldetail

This link gives the cost of the baggage service at Changi where you can leave your bags if you want to get rid of them for awhile. http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/facilities-and-services/baggage-services

You could then take the train back into Singapore. If you are tired, you could get off the train at Bugis which is on that line, and visit the Intercontinental Hotel. The hotel is located just upstairs from the station and through the shopping centre. You could spend time in their lovely lobby for a few hours. You would have bathroom facilities there and be in air conditioning. Just a thought but it would give you all a rest you need before you can check in.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Thank you for all the suggestions. After speaking with our TA, we discovered that the Crowne Plaza at Changi will let you have a day room, check-in 11am check-out 19.00 which is (almost) perfect for our needs. And at a very reasonable price.