Just back off Celebration

Did the Aegean explorer and Black Sea whatever it was. First week was good, Athens, Santorini, Istanbul etc. second week was a waste of time. Bourgas and Constanta as well as Istanbul again. Also, two sea days. Only highlight was Mykonos. Be aware that Constanta is a large industrial port with wall to wall cranes and gantries, truly unattractive. Apart from taking an overpriced excursion (which they will try to sell you with boring regularity), the only escape from this awful place is a shuttle into the nearest resort and they charge you £6 for this privilege. Bourgas is equally dreadful, but at least you can get there easily. The staff and our fellow cruisers made this a good holiday on the whole and we recognised several staff members from Majesty. As far as the fellow cruisers went, there were exceptions to the overall level of politeness. Some seemed to have skipped a step in the evolutionary chain and had a vocabulary that was limited to expletives that got worse in direct proportion to the amount they had drunk.

Many people booked sunbeds which they left for hours. The staff same round and put a ticket on as a warning but these were torn up on return of the client so had little impact.

I would rate the food as adequate, not as good as previous cruises and I am convinced that some of the drinks must be watered down! I drank mainly whiskey and ginger ale, Jonny Walker red being my usual tipple. The amount they put in the glass, were it full strength would have me falling off my chair after two if I had that much at home! Mrs S2B took to asking for the 'water of the day' rather than the cocktail of the day as even she found the drinks weak, and she is not really a drinker at all!

We were allocated cabin 542 on deck 3 at the back end. This has two single beds and a 12 inch porthole. We suffered intolerable noise and a smell of fuel oil (which to their credit they sorted and compensated us with a bottle of wine) for a week before cracking and deciding we needed some sleep. A visit to reception followed and they very kindly moved us to cabin 468 which was much quieter and it had a large double bed but still a 12 inch porthole!

I went on this cruise with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised overall, but I still believe that Thomson is overpriced for the product they are selling and probably won't be sailing with them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums