Western Caribbean with 2yo

Mrs.C05

I am curious what to do in Belize and Cozumel with my family. My dad and step mom are going with us and will be joining us to do excursions, or we'll be joining them. We had wanted to go see the ruins in Belize but I saw on the Carnival excursions that my son had to be at least 3 for one of them, and older for the rest. I'd like to do SOMETHING while in Belize, preferably through Carnival excursions. My husband and I were there in 2006, and were pretty freaked out by the locals behind the 20 foot rod iron gates trying to get you to get closer to them. We shopped right there where the tender let's you off, and then we got back on the ship.

Sorry for the long ramble. If anyone has any suggestions, or recommendations on what to do in Belize, Cozumel and Roatan please let me know.

Grand Cayman we're doing a distillery tour and then going to 7 mile beach, so that port is covered. Cozumel my Dad figured we'd find a beach somewhere nearby, and Roatan I know there is a beach right there near the pier, but he heard good things about West Bay Beach.....any suggestions on that? I posted this here because it is family related. If it needs to be moved, then please do so.

We are doing the basically the same ports on the NCL Pearl in March. Our dd will just have turned three. In most ports we are doing some kind of beach break, including Belize. Most of the activities in Belize are not appropriate for a two year old (or three year old) so the beach is really your only option. I'm sure Carnival has an excursion called "beach break".

When our dd was 21 months we were in Cozumel and went to Playa Mia. I would recommend that too, unless you don't like crowds. It will be packed with people, but anything that ship excursion are involved in usually have a lot of people. There's a huge beach with plenty of shade for little kids. They also have a large restaurant and several bars. Usually they offer the trip ala carte and you pay for drinks and the buffet or all inclusive. "Behind" the beach there is a great kids area and pool. We found it a little late so we didn't get as much time there, but they have a regular pool and then a wading pool with lots of fun water toys and little slides. Our dd loved that area. We are going to Playa Mia again on this upcoming trip.

In Roatan we've been to West End and the Tabayana Beach excursion many times in the past, but never with a child. We are bringing our dd to Tabayana this time too. NCL docks at a different pier than Carnival and I think the beach you're talking about that is close is walkable from the Carnival pier. It's not for NCL and West End is so great that we're going there.

We're not going to GC this time but did last time and our dd loved 7 Mile Beach.

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of what you do, but you can't go wrong with the beach and little kids.

In Cozumel, you might like Chankanaab. This can be done on your own. Cab fare was 11.00 each way for up to four people, and entrance is 20.00 for adults (not sure what the child rate was) and there is a coupon online for 2.00 off. Entrance includes beach chairs, there is a pool, snorkeling (bring your own gear or rent), and a smaller lagoon like area for younger children. There is a sea lion show included also. Adults can add on swim with the dolphins, or a manatee encounter. Your LO will be able to watch others swimming with the dolphins.

• 9 months later...

In Cozumel, either take a taxi for $16 for 4 one way to Mr. Sanchos or rent a car or jeep. Make a right out of the port and it's about a 10 min drive. It's an a la cart beach or all inclusive beach. It's up to you. A la cart is a free chair and tables. Other beaches make you pay for a chair. The water inflatables are $12 for the day, and they do have life jackets. There are paddle boards to rent too. There is a restaurant and beach service. Table and chairs are free too. The all inclusive is $55 a person with pool access and all you can eat and drink. There are shops to buy souvenirs at Mr. Sanchos and they will bargain with you. The beach is VERY CLEAN! They have cleared out the rocks and coral to make the sand soft! There is a volleyball net in the water, so bring your volleyball! It's a great and relaxing day. I highly recommend it!

We just did mr. Sanchos in Cozumel with a 1yo and a 3yo and had a great time. The beach was calm enough to play on with them and our older daughter enjoyed running around on the sand and exploring. Kids that age are free too, which is nice. Our older DD isn't into waterpark stuff or else we might have looked at playa Mia, but mr. Sanchos was great! We'd go back there. We've also done Chankanab in the past (very nice, but didn't love the beach) and paradise beach (also nice, but activities seemed geared at older kids and it was super crowded when we went).

We did Belize when our older daughter was 16 months and booked a tour to the ruins through a tour company (not on the ship). We had to walk a few blocks out of the port to the meeting place (their directions were very good) and the tour was really nice. DD was free and we just brought along snacks and toys for the ride time (I don't recall how far it was, but I'm guessing something around an hour each way?)

We also did Roatan when ODD was 16 months and again booked a non-cruise tour. I think it was island highlights, a visit to "monkey business" to see the monkeys, birds, etc. then a good bit of beach time. That tour they met us right near the pier and it wound up being just us and one other couple. It seemed reasonably priced and was a nice overview and plenty of beach time.