Anybody solo'd on Disney?

Tralfie

I've done two solo cruises on NCL (three if you count a one night cruise-to-nowhere), one on Gem and one on Breakaway. Both were amazing, probably the best vacations I've ever taken in my life. This November, I'm heading to Walt Disney World for the Food & Wine festival and have been considering adding a 3 nighter on the Dream. But I'm a little concerned for a few reasons, largely because Disney Cruises are SO family oriented. While on NCL, I've basically always eaten by myself without a problem in any of the specialty restaurants, I worry that wouldn't be possible on Disney in their rotating main dining rooms (and I'm not really big on being seated with strangers)

Has anyone cruised solo on Disney? What was the experience like? Highs? Lows? Look forward to hearing!

Thanks in advance...

Richard/Tralfie

HI all!

Tralfie ~ I'm a senior woman who went solo on a 3 night Disney Wonder cruise after spending 3 nights in Walt Disney World during the Food & Wine Festival which I really enjoyed.

I like sitting with the same people every night so there's a difference. I had a good time, didn't find it overwhelming with children, saw a movie, some shows, dressed like a pirate for the fireworks show. There are adult places on the ship & it was very nice. My inside cabin was very large & had a sofa too.

Hope you give it a try & have a great time.

~ Jo ~ :)

I sailed solo on the Disney Wonder 14 night Panama Canal cruise last September. I had a wonderful time. Being a longer cruise that takes place during school term, there were fewer children on board than the norm. But Disney ships in general have plenty of adult areas and entertainment. And adult only means based on age not that it is inappropriate. Plus, Disney has so many structured activities for children, they are less likely to be roaming the ship looking for something to do.

I have enjoyed the people that have been assigned to my dining table on the two Disney cruises I have had, but you do have another option if you want to eat alone. At least on the Wonder, probably on the other ships, the buffet venue converts in the evening to a restaurant. You order off a menu and the wait staff are in training. I did not eat there, but was aware of it.

My most recent cruise was last month on the Norwegian Jewel. It was also solo and I chose to eat alone and read during all my meals. So I do understand and appreciate your preference.

Lesa

I've done two solo cruises on NCL (three if you count a one night cruise-to-nowhere), one on Gem and one on Breakaway. Both were amazing, probably the best vacations I've ever taken in my life. This November, I'm heading to Walt Disney World for the Food & Wine festival and have been considering adding a 3 nighter on the Dream. But I'm a little concerned for a few reasons, largely because Disney Cruises are SO family oriented. While on NCL, I've basically always eaten by myself without a problem in any of the specialty restaurants, I worry that wouldn't be possible on Disney in their rotating main dining rooms (and I'm not really big on being seated with strangers)

Has anyone cruised solo on Disney? What was the experience like? Highs? Lows? Look forward to hearing!

Thanks in advance...

Richard/Tralfie

Hi Richard...never sailed Disney but what week are you going to

the Food and Wine Festival? I want to do that too:)......I have

looked at that on line for quite a few years and it looks so awesome!

I have heard one thing about Disney cruises.....(just from reading

and stuff)......they are quite $$$$......it is like a 4 night cruise

can be more money than many 7 nighters on other mainstream lines.:eek:

Lois,

I enjoy reading your posts about sailing solo on Celebrity. I love Celebrity also. I have sailed 3 times for 35 nights on their ships, with 27 of those nights being as a solo. You would love Disney! The level of service on board equals and exceeds Celebrity. There are wonderful adult only areas. I highly recommend.

Price can be an issue, but like most cruise lines, there are deals to be had. Off season pricing, after final payment date, and resident discounts can really make it affordable. The only resident discounts are for Canadian and Florida residents, and I think you live in Florida?

Lesa

Edited by LesaL
correct math

Lois,

I enjoy reading your posts about sailing solo on Celebrity. I love Celebrity also. I have sailed 3 times for 35 nights on their ships, with 27 of those nights being as a solo. You would love Disney! The level of service on board equals and exceeds Celebrity. There are wonderful adult only areas. I highly recommend.

Price can be an issue, but like most cruise lines, there are deals to be had. Off season pricing, after final payment date, and resident discounts can really make it affordable. The only resident discounts are for Canadian and Florida residents, and I think you live in Florida?

Lesa

Hi Lesa, yes, I live in Florida....about 2 hours from Disney......

Thanks for the tip....I will give it some thought:)

• 3 weeks later...

I have-I did a solo on the Dream. I even did a review that you can find around here somewhere. Loved it. Most relaxing vacation ever! I am a big Disney fan and usually make it to the parks once a year, and my favorite is Food and Wine. I solo in Disney as well for Food & Wine. How was Disney as a solo adult? Awesome! I had a verandah cabin which I loved. The only part I found awkward was the name announcement as you enter the ship, but then they pull you aside and direct you to a restaurant. I had reservations at Palo and Remy because I wanted to try those places, but my next Disney cruise, I will stick to main dining room. Not because I did not enjoy the specialties, but because I thought main dining rooms were impressive and wanted to try the other two. They seat solo travelers together and my dining companions were very nice. I also loved the spa-I skipped Nassau-been there, done that and had a spa day pass and purchased the port day spa special. Incredible. Castaway Cay, Serenity Bay-the best. I was just pricing Disney Dream solo cruises for next year because I want to do it again. Go for it!

• 2 months later...
I sailed solo on the Disney Wonder 14 night Panama Canal cruise last September. I had a wonderful time. Being a longer cruise that takes place during school term, there were fewer children on board than the norm. But Disney ships in general have plenty of adult areas and entertainment. And adult only means based on age not that it is inappropriate. Plus, Disney has so many structured activities for children, they are less likely to be roaming the ship looking for something to do.

I have enjoyed the people that have been assigned to my dining table on the two Disney cruises I have had, but you do have another option if you want to eat alone. At least on the Wonder, probably on the other ships, the buffet venue converts in the evening to a restaurant. You order off a menu and the wait staff are in training. I did not eat there, but was aware of it.

My most recent cruise was last month on the Norwegian Jewel. It was also solo and I chose to eat alone and read during all my meals. So I do understand and appreciate your preference.

Lesa

I was looking at this same cruise for May 2016 today. I'm wanting to do a Panama Canal cruise and am a frequent Disney World visitor but have never done one of their cruises. I've always wondered if you are immersed in the magic on one of their ships like you are at the parks. I'm also worried there won't be enough adult activity on the ship. I tend to gravitate toward things like trivia, classes/demonstrations, and evening shows.

I was looking at this same cruise for May 2016 today. I'm wanting to do a Panama Canal cruise and am a frequent Disney World visitor but have never done one of their cruises. I've always wondered if you are immersed in the magic on one of their ships like you are at the parks. I'm also worried there won't be enough adult activity on the ship. I tend to gravitate toward things like trivia, classes/demonstrations, and evening shows.

The Panama Canal sailing has fewer children, therefore many of the activities are geared for adults. There will be a Panama Canal lecturer, as well as some sort of Disney featured lecturer. On my sailing it was Jeff Kurtii, who is a Disney historian. The adult only pool and coffee shop is pretty much devoid of character appearances. The standard Wonder Disney evening shows are done, however because of the length of the sailing, additional entertainment is featured. There will be recent movie releases shown in the main theater, but also usually a magician, comedian, and musical headliners. On my sailing it was a Jersey Boys type quartet, who performed around the pool as well as in the showroom. And Broadway veteran Jason Graae, who was amazing!

Lots of trivia, a cook off between the head chef and the captain, and my specific sailing had a very talented pool of passengers. We had someone who arranged dawn and nighttime photography walks and another who is a Futurist and made arrangements to speak to those interested about what he does.

I could not have asked for a more enjoyable sailing.

Lesa

Hi.

I have been wanting to do a Disney cruise, but would also be doing it solo. Seems that there a number of solo cruisers which I think is great. So glad I found this thread, helps me not to be so unsure of giving it a shot. I have cruised on Disney before, but never solo.

Any recommendations on when might be a better time to go, I assume during the school season?

Thanks.

Annmarie

The Panama Canal sailing has fewer children, therefore many of the activities are geared for adults. There will be a Panama Canal lecturer, as well as some sort of Disney featured lecturer. On my sailing it was Jeff Kurtii, who is a Disney historian. The adult only pool and coffee shop is pretty much devoid of character appearances. The standard Wonder Disney evening shows are done, however because of the length of the sailing, additional entertainment is featured. There will be recent movie releases shown in the main theater, but also usually a magician, comedian, and musical headliners. On my sailing it was a Jersey Boys type quartet, who performed around the pool as well as in the showroom. And Broadway veteran Jason Graae, who was amazing!

Lots of trivia, a cook off between the head chef and the captain, and my specific sailing had a very talented pool of passengers. We had someone who arranged dawn and nighttime photography walks and another who is a Futurist and made arrangements to speak to those interested about what he does.

I could not have asked for a more enjoyable sailing.

Lesa

Thanks for the inspiration Lesa! I've booked the May 2016 sailing. I'm going to be at sea with Mickey on my birthday!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have sailed Disney solo several times. The last time was the 14 day Westbound Transatlantic in September '14.

I'm also booked on the Panama Canal Cruise in May, and there are several solos on that one. You end up getting to know people easily. I like it as there are people to get to know, but when you want time to yourself - it's easy.

I like the longer cruises and the off-season ones when the kids are in school.

I've done Carnival a couple of times solo because I actually got a decent deal for being solo. Disney rarely has solo deals, but I did get a very good price glitch once. Got to sail in the cabin between the Royals for less than what an inside often is! Best cruise evah!

I love Disney the best and I find it very easy to sail solo on them. :)

Lesa

That was the best cruise ever.... hee hee heee

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk