Picture-A-Week 2013 - Week 32

pierces

I went to a couple of parks today to practice more long distance shots.

DSC02189_zpsd73c4c1f.jpg

I even found an eagle to practice on!

DSC02202_zpse22ebb81.jpg

And got a dragonfly to sit still - not a very colorful one though.

DSC02139_zps907f9050.jpg

Cathedral Park - named for the arches in the bridge supports.

Vic

I'm amazed the hibiscus make it through your winters! In Pennsylvania they had them where the flowers were the size of dinner plates. Pretty amazing.

Vic

There are different types of Hibiscus plants. These are the winter hardy ones that do survive PA's cold temperatures.

We bought 3 plants about 15 years ago. All were supposed to be the dinner size -- hot pink.

As it turned out -- only 1 plant is hot pink and larger than the dinner size plates. The white ones are almost dinner size. And the third one is a lighter pink and medium size.

We did buy a couple of different hibiscus plants that have the smaller flowers that you see in Hawaii. We had to bring them indoors. They still didn't survive the winter.

I went to a couple of parks today to practice more long distance shots.

DSC02189_zpsd73c4c1f.jpg

I even found an eagle to practice on!

DSC02202_zpse22ebb81.jpg

And got a dragonfly to sit still - not a very colorful one though.

DSC02139_zps907f9050.jpg

Cathedral Park - named for the arches in the bridge supports.

Vic

Great pictures

I love the eagle.

Beautiful pics mnbruce, such vivid colors. Someday when Im brave enought to get away from auto mode on my new camera I hope to start getting similar pics!

Thanks! Yes ,you need to get away from that auto mode and start taking advantage of what your camera can really do. I would suggest to set your camera to AV, which allows you to set the aperture so you can set the DOF you want while the camera sets the shutter speed. It's simple and you start learning really fast on how exposures work and how to be a bit creative with the camera.

Thank you for the tip! I just perused your links to other cruise pictures. Just beautiful. I bought our new camera now so that I can practice and be ready when we take our first cruise at the end of April. Hoping to get some nice shots. Judging from the low light pics you have, I may need to bring a tripod as well.

Thanks! Yes ,you need to get away from that auto mode and start taking advantage of what your camera can really do. I would suggest to set your camera to AV, which allows you to set the aperture so you can set the DOF you want while the camera sets the shutter speed. It's simple and you start learning really fast on how exposures work and how to be a bit creative with the camera.

Okay -- I see the "AV" on my camera.

But what is DOF?

Archived