IPad in Hawaiian ports

europe14

Hi, I never usually take my iPad on a cruise and I don't want to buy the ships WiFi. My iPad has 3G with AT&T. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with 3G working while in port? I mean I know I could physically take my iPad off the ship and use it or hook up to WiFi in port, but I really don't want to have to carry it off the ship, so my question is, does anyone know if my AT&T 3G iPad will work at port while still physically on the ship? If not, I don't think I would bother to bring it. Thanks in advance for any information.

I think it will depend on WHERE you're docked, and how close to a wi-fi signal you might be....wi-fi doesn't travel THAT far...so it may be an iffy connection, if you get one at all. Of course, if you go ashore, you can find free wi-fi hotspots...

If you can't connect to wi-fi, and you have a data package for the pad, you can use your data to get internet....the ship's tower should be shut off when in port...

I don't have data on my iPad...just on my phone, so my pad won't work without a wi-fi connection.

I was on the POA in July 2013, I took my iPad (first generation), and at the time I was on the AT&T with 3G data plan.

We had a balcony, and the AT&T data plan worked absolutely fine in port on the balcony. In fact, it worked for a little bit going out to sea. Inside the cabin, the reception was iffy. It had nothing to do with a nearby wifi signal, but whether the iPad was positioned where it could capture the AT&T signal.

happy cruising,

el henry

Edited by elhenry

I think it will depend on WHERE you're docked, and how close to a wi-fi signal you might be....wi-fi doesn't travel THAT far...so it may be an iffy connection, if you get one at all. Of course, if you go ashore, you can find free wi-fi hotspots...

If you can't connect to wi-fi, and you have a data package for the pad, you can use your data to get internet....the ship's tower should be shut off when in port...

I don't have data on my iPad...just on my phone, so my pad won't work without a wi-fi connection.

They want to use the 3G not WiFi.

• 1 month later...

I used mine two years ago in the Suez canal and in Eygpt and Dubai. I had AT&T connection I paid monthly and it worked great on and off depending where we were. this year on a trip to Singpore and indonesia, same service from AT&T new sims card and didn't work at all. i too will be doing Hawaii this year and will try again with AT&T and the iPad. So give it a try. They gave me back the fees I paid to use it for the month.

Rita

I'll know starting next week and I'll let you know. I have AT&T iPad and will be trying to use it in port.

I've read it works fine although the signal can be a little weak inside the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD