Luggie or Travelscoot?

dcsam

We're looking at a Travelscoot tomorrow. But the Luggie also looks like a good option. My husband can walk short distances. But his balance is off. Which one offers more stability?

Thank you.

I can only speak about the TravelScoot as that was the only one I could get, but I am loving the freedom it gives me. I would say it depends on how off your husband's balance is. I found it quite stable but then my balance is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I just called a place that carries several makes. The fellow highly recommended the Solax Transformer if balance was any concern at all. Big purchase, that's for sure. Best to make sure we end up with something that will work for my husband's needs.

We're looking at a Travelscoot tomorrow. But the Luggie also looks like a good option. My husband can walk short distances. But his balance is off. Which one offers more stability?

Thank you.

I have not compared the two. I wanted a dealer close by and Luggie had a dealer 15 miles away. Prior to settling on the Luggie I talked with a guy who was on a travel scoot while we were on a cruise to Mexico. He liked his. Stability was not an issue that we talked about which I took to mean non-issue.

However any three wheel scooter will have a tipping motion in some conditions. This motion needs to be anticipated and, like a motorcycle rider does when cornering, the body shifted just a bit ( leaning into the corner). I have felt the motion and have learned to work with it.

If you want a fairly non-tippy scooter you need to go to the 4 wheel model where each wheel is at a corner. That said, even the 4 wheel versions have their own tipsiness.

I love my Luggie and have had it for nearly 18 months. I have ridden it everywhere on a cruise ship and folded it up to go ashore. Very handy! Have not had a problem with it at all.

My sister has a Luggie and absolutely loves it. She has cruised with it at least 3-4 times. She doesn't use it all the time but loves the convenience of having it in the car and that it's there when she needs it. She generally doesn't have balance issues so I can't comment on that. Agree with Redwood10D that if balance is an issue I would look at 4-wheel scooters.

I hated the Luggie. It was uncomfortable, the seat was hard and hurt my behind and back. I also thought it was unstable even with the four wheels. I returned it within two days. I love my Pride GoGo Traveler. It's gone literally all over the world with me on at least 30 cruises. I've not had any problems with my GoGo tipping over, but you can't drive like a maniac and you have to be careful on uneven pavement.

I have a Pride GoGo Traveler Elite Plus (the one with the big battery). I love it and it has gone many places with us -- planes, cruise ships, trains, coaches in North America and abroad. It comes apart in four pieces, each of which I can lift with some effort. I decided that I wanted something lighter, smaller and easier to "wrangle". I can walk, but arthritis damage all over means my time and range is very limited.

The Luggie and ones like it (Solax) are lovely, and being four-wheeled, very stable. The trouble was that they are one piece units, so still a heavy "lift". Also, they are fairly bulky when collapsed.

I looked at the Travelscoot and liked it, except for the price, of course. I found a new-ish alternative on the market, a SmartScoot. (Smartscoot.com) The advantage is that it is front wheel drive, so much more direct steering and a better turning circle. It's also slightly less expensive, and spare batteries are about half the price of the Travelscoot's. I ended up buying one, and I love it.

I can lift the SmartScoot over obstacles myself, just as you would a bike or a trike. With the help of one person, it can be carried up a flight of stairs. It breaks down into three pieces, each light enough for me to lift easily. And when broken down and stowed in the trunk of a car, because the pieces aren't bulky it can be stashed very easily. It came into the cabin with us, although sometimes I'd just remove the battery and leave it in the corridor. For the cruise ship, the wheel position can be changed to make it easier to get through narrow doorways. Of course, it's less stable when you do that.

I would caution you that to ride one of the three wheel lightweights (SmartScoot or Travelscoot) you need to have reasonable balance or you are at risk of falling. I love my SmartScoot, and have no regrets about buying it. For comfort and stability, though, I still love my Pride GoGo and that's what I call my "street scooter" that I use to zip around the neighbourhood when I walk the dog. But for travel, the lightweight is fabulous and it has made me as mobile as I could be given my disability.

Edited by Seenie

My husband has used the Lexis Light for several years. It has four wheels and has a very comfortable seat. He tried the TravelScoot, but there just wasn't a comfortable place for his feet. His scooter folds up to about 31"x22"x18" and weighs about 52 lbs without the easily detachable battery. You can also detach the front tiller to make it lighter. We purchased it first with the regular battery, then later bought the lithium battery which is much lighter. It has traveled with us all over the world for years now.

The big issue with most of these scooters is they are only available online- you can't go somewhere and try them out. TravelScoot did give us the name of a local person to contact to try out his scooter, which was nice.

Kate

• 1 month later...