Looking at a Travelscoot- ANY issues @ airports?

dcsam

There's no problem with the battery on either the SmartScoot or the TravelScoot. Both are FAA approved for air travel. You must, however disconnect and remove the battery and take it into the cabin with you. Being small, however, that's not much of an inconvenience.

If airline staff ask, I show them the documentation papers on the battery, although the details are also stamped on the battery itself.

No problems at all.

Within Europe you don't have to take the battery inside the plane. All the flights I have been on they have left the battery in situ. I have been asked to neutralise the battery which is easy with a small plug.

Different airlines have slightly different rules.

We'll be looking at a Travelscoot tomorrow. My biggest concern is bringing the battery on planes. Has anybody had any problems doing so?

I have travelled extensively with my Travelscoot the past few years and I have not had any problem. I have been asked to remove the battery and bring it on the plane with me.

There does appear to now be a problem with China airports not allowing the battery to be brought onto the plane at all. They confiscate it and you can't travel with it on a plane. I guess you could take a train or bus or ????

I have been told that I could bring the smaller battery (it costs $850 compared to the larger battery that costs $1,000.)

You should check it out if you plan to travel on an airline in China.

Wendy

Good to know that about China. I was seriously considering a tour just recently, and it never occurred to me to ask, because I've never had any problems.

You are very welcome. I also posted on this forum asking if anybody had a problem with taking a lithium battery on board a plane in China but have not had much response. It annoys me to spend $850 for another battery that won't be as good as the one I have now but it looks like I have no other choice. I really can't do the whole trip without my scooter so I am stuck.

Wendy:mad:

Edited by mexico8

You are very welcome. I also posted on this forum asking if anybody had a problem with taking a lithium battery on board a plane in China but have not had much response. It annoys me to spend $850 for another battery that won't be as good as the one I have now but it looks like I have no other choice. I really can't do the whole trip without my scooter so I am stuck.

Wendy:mad:

We encountered this in China (Beijing) - I had 2 of the lithium batteries and they were going to confiscate them. However after 3 hours they finally relented and got the necessary permissions to carry them as "highly dangerous" cargo. They were wrapped in bags and boxes and sealed etc. It was a horrible experience and I will NEVER. Fly out of China again

We encountered this in China (Beijing) - I had 2 of the lithium batteries and they were going to confiscate them. However after 3 hours they finally relented and got the necessary permissions to carry them as "highly dangerous" cargo. They were wrapped in bags and boxes and sealed etc. It was a horrible experience and I will NEVER. Fly out of China again

Thanks for your post (NOT). Actually glad you did post but disappointed with the hassle that you had with the battery. Can you tell me which batteries you were travelling with? My Travelscoot has a 24V which translates into 283 WH and the one they recommend that I use for China is 158 WH which is under the 160 that China allow. Wondering what size your batteries were and if I should take a chance with my 283 WH or buy the smaller one?

Thanks for any info.