Post Excursion: Lake Lucerne or Lake Como?

karelowe

I am trying to figure out which post excursion one might choose..... Two nights in Lake Lucerne or 3 nights in Lake Como? Would be coming off a Viking River Cruise in Basel......Input, pros and cons welcome.....Thank you.

I can't answer re Lake Lucerne, but I love Lake Como. We stopped there before our Venice cruise. It was an easy train trip from Milan to Lake Como, then 3 days later train to Venice. Area is beautiful. Lots of gardens to explore. The lake is surrounded by Italian Alps for awesome natural beauty, and if you like hiking there's a never ending variety of trails. Take ferry from town to town to explore several of the lovely little towns.

What month? Lake Como is south of the Alps' crest and therefore sunnier and warmer. Lake Lucerne is north of the crest and usually cooler.

Probably mid to late April.....Trying to hit the "cheaper" time frame and hope for good weather.

• 1 year later...
I can't answer re Lake Lucerne, but I love Lake Como. We stopped there before our Venice cruise. It was an easy train trip from Milan to Lake Como, then 3 days later train to Venice. Area is beautiful. Lots of gardens to explore. The lake is surrounded by Italian Alps for awesome natural beauty, and if you like hiking there's a never ending variety of trails. Take ferry from town to town to explore several of the lovely little towns.

herbanrenewal we are staying in Lake Como before our cruise from Venice in July. How did you get to Venice from Lake Como.

I have booked a private driver but it is very expensive.

Thanks for your help. I just saw that you took the train. Was that difficult ?

Edited by familyof6cruisin
already answered

herbanrenewal we are staying in Lake Como before our cruise from Venice in July. How did you get to Venice from Lake Como.

I have booked a private driver but it is very expensive.

Thanks for your help. I just saw that you took the train. Was that difficult ?

the train is very easy to get to in Venice, then there is a lovely train ride to Varenna on the lake. We walked to our hotel. i didn't see this post til today, but if you would like detail email me goingplaces @ juno.com

Our pick, hands down, would be Lucerne. A wonderful cruise on the lake. A short trip to Mt. Pilatus. Or a quick train ride into Zurich for a few hours. We stayed at a hotel in Kastanianbaum, just down the lake from Lucerne. It was wonderful.

Either way, you cannot loose. Como is fine and there are other options nearby.