Underwater Cameras - what do you use

Well unless you want to trust an expensive camera I would just buy this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10297733?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

this is 25 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Waterproof-Digital-External-Compatible/dp/B004AR2OZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1367699481&sr=1-1&keywords=under+water+digital+cameras

I would not trust your regular camera, I would not risk an expensive camera that was advertised as waterproof to take snorkeling. I have used film cameras before and had good results.

Mine is overkill for snorkeling. I have a Ikelite housing for a Canon 20D dslr with two external strobes for lighting and either a dome port for wide angle or a long flat part for macro. (weighs in at about 30 pounds)

Well unless you want to trust an expensive camera I would just buy this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10297733?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

this is 25 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Waterproof-Digital-External-Compatible/dp/B004AR2OZI/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1367699481&sr=1-1&keywords=under+water+digital+cameras

I would not trust your regular camera, I would not risk an expensive camera that was advertised as waterproof to take snorkeling. I have used film cameras before and had good results.

Since we fell in love with cruising the Caribbean I decided a good waterproof camera was in order. I was convinced by all the reviews and personal experience that the Canon was the best choice. I was not disappointed. Great photos in and out of the water.

I have loaned the camera to my kids and they got the same great results.:D

The little bit I know about taking pictures underwater is, buy a camera for underwater. If you ever wonder why underwater pictures come out so blue. Water absorbs the red out of the light spectrum. Good cameras will have a underwater setting to compensate for this. I use a Sony DSC-WX150 with a Sony Housing. Spent $300 for my set up. This was before underwater cameras became so cheap. Here is a video I did and if you go to 5:30 out you can see what how my camera works. https://vimeo.com/26832361 - so I would spend the money and get a nice Point and Shoot that is waterproof.

Happy Cruising

I use a Nikon AW100. So far so good. Nikon has already made a newer version of this camera.

OP: I purchased the AW100 to use on a recent trip to Antarctica, for times when I would not have my DSLR out because it was too wet (as it sometimes was in the zodiacs) or slippery. I was quite pleased with the images it took out of the water (see below); needless to say, I didn't get the opportunity to use it under water. :) If the camera is at all of interest to you, please handle it in a store if you can (advice I'd give for any camera purchase); the controls are quite small (though I had no problem with them). I hope to be able to take this camera snorkeling one day ....

AW100DSCN00741024x768_zps63967a61.jpg

Gentoosgreettheship1024x768_zps7fc3fea1.jpg

(photos taken with Nikon AW100 by turtles06)

The little bit I know about taking pictures underwater is, buy a camera for underwater. If you ever wonder why underwater pictures come out so blue. Water absorbs the red out of the light spectrum.

You are correct about water taking out the red, but the key to avoiding the blue (except when you want the blue) is to add light rather than just adding a red filter. One of the keys is to get a good camera. I've tried the Sealife cameras for underwater that are "made for underwater" and they are pretty terrible because they are poor cameras. While underwater mode can be okay, I prefer not to let my camera think for me and I use Raw and do my own post-processing.

A good housing will let you either use the internal flash on the camera (okay) or hook up an external flash or strobe through a sync (your flash triggers the strobe (good) or through a TTL System (great).

eef511c96d82fb52c1eb6b1893b1efd2.jpg

But sometimes you want the blue, and red filters or underwater modes can sometimes try and brighten an image or it winds up just going wonky.

6a1b82ae8d2daa13331ff9e6d2004646.jpg

Panasonic just came out with a ruggedized camcorder that also takes pictures thru the Employee purchase site it is 150 on Amazon 199. it is waterproof to 16' which would be good for snorkling but not diving

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/News/Panasonic-Unveils-Two-New-Adventure-Cams-at-CES-2013.htm

Full-HD videos and 16 MP stills from an 11.9-megapixel MOS sensor (through interpolation, presumably)

• Nine creative filters: Old Movie, One Point Color, Fish-eye Effect, HDR Paint, Soft Skin, Monochrome, Sepia, Vivid, and Soft

• 18x zoom with Active Digital Image Stabilizer

• Eye-Fi compatibility

• 3 months later...
The little bit I know about taking pictures underwater is, buy a camera for underwater. If you ever wonder why underwater pictures come out so blue. Water absorbs the red out of the light spectrum. Good cameras will have a underwater setting to compensate for this. I use a Sony DSC-WX150 with a Sony Housing. Spent $300 for my set up. This was before underwater cameras became so cheap. Here is a video I did and if you go to 5:30 out you can see what how my camera works. https://vimeo.com/26832361 - so I would spend the money and get a nice Point and Shoot that is waterproof.

Happy Cruising

I'm a bit confused by your post. You say to buy a camera for underwater yet the Sony DSC-WX150 is not an underwater camera. Did this camera have an underwater setting? By the way your pictures were awesome.

Thank you for the info. I own a Sony DSC-HX10V so I was curious about an underwater housing. I think I may be better off buying an underwater camera.

Ikelite makes one for the camera you have. It's $399. When I bought my setup, the Canon 10D was the only good underwater camera. My housing was cheaper then the Canon it self. Now they have so many cameras to choose from. That the $399 housing for your camera wouldn't be worth it IMO. Best of luck and have fun taking underwater pictures. Happy Cruising!!!!!

I own 2 Canon D10's because I loved them so much (one just took a crap on me but that's ok, I still have the other one). I have been very pleased with it.

Two cruises ago, I was in a hurry to leave for vacation and forgot my battery charger setting in the wall still charging my extra batteries. I was forced to buy another camera on the ship. I ended up with an Olympus Tough camera. It is now my favorite camera and has a lot more settings that I like on it compared to the Canon D10. I also like how you can instantly take video with the press of a button instead of having to go into the settings to change it to video (like you do on the Canon).

I have TONS of pictures in my reviews that you can click on in my links in my signature line. My last 2 reviews that include the star and the dream were taken with my new Olympus. :) You will get a good idea of the pictures it can take both above water and under water.

Archived