Is there anyway to see the Turtles w/out being in the deep ocean?

tpadul

Are there any type of excursions where you can experience being in the water with the Sea Turtles such as an enclosed shallow pool at an aquatic park like they do with Dolphin experiences or is everything out in the open water??

My Fiance does not know how to swim and therefore she is not comfortable being in deep ocean water over her head even with a life vest on so any of the Snorkel/Turtle excursions I have seen are not something that we can do because they appear to be all out in the deep water.

We would love to be able to be in the water with the Sea Turtles and see them up close, I am a very strong swimmer and love to snorkel but I do not want to take a Snorkel/Turtle excursion without her :( I would like to be able to have her experience seeing the turtles as well and was hoping maybe there was some aquatic park where they have the ability to swim with them in shallow water that is not over your head.

The guys on the boats bait the turtles, and they swim very close to the boat. Your fiancée can get a pretty good look from the boat.

Of course, it is amazing to swim with them, but they are wild animals, and to my knowledge there are no places in Barbados where they are kept captive for the purpose of swimming with them.

Recommend a nice catamaran trip like Cool Runnings (my personal fav) Silver Moon etc. that way you can swim with them, your fiancée can at least see them.

Who knows, a rum punch or 2 may change her mind.

We used a tour near the Boatyard last summer, they used glass bottom boats. We had 2 people on our boat that did not get in the water, they watched the turtles through the bottom of the boat glass. It was $20 per person.

We used a tour near the Boatyard last summer, they used glass bottom boats. We had 2 people on our boat that did not get in the water, they watched the turtles through the bottom of the boat glass. It was $20 per person.

Thank you so much!! did you just find this excursion on your own once you got off the ship? This would be perfect!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Tripadvisor has tons of reviews of people saying at Carlisle Bay you can see lots of sea turtles not to far off the shore. They bring excursion boats there & feed the turtles so they tend to gather & say you can swim over & swim with them on your own for free! Does anyone know where you can rent snorkel gear around there?

We went to boatyard and walked down the beach where we arranged for a boat to take us out. Lisa Boom Boom :rolleyes: $15 a person to see turtles and shipwrecks for an hour which turned into 2 hours. Guys were great who took us out. We had our own snorkel stuff. I would invest in them before you cruise. For the amount you spend to rent them, you may as well buy them. We saw so many turtles and it was amazing. The guide told us to just be still as they fed them and they came right over to us. Also, don't even attempt to swim out there to see them. It's 200 yards out there then you are in 30 feet of water swimming around trying to see them and then you have go back. It sounds easy on paper but you'll see once you get there. We were going to do it but I said no way when I saw how difficult it was and I am a strong swimmer. Maybe if you had a lifejacket on you could do it but I seriously wouldn't. One of the guys we took the tour with was telling me horror stories of people almost drowning and the week before we got to Barbados, a woman actually drowned trying to swim out there. For the amount of money you spend on a cruise, $15 a person or even $20 is not that big of a deal.

Edited by jean87510