Is February better than January?

Dee_Jay

We're planning to cruise on Diamond Princess from Auckland to Sydney. The Princess website shows that the Jan. 22 sailing has plenty of balcony cabins available, while the Feb. 15 sailing is sold out.

I'm just wondering if there's a reason to avoid the January cruise, or if there's some other reason why the February cruise filled up more quickly.

My guess would be it's Northern Hemishpere people trying to escape the bitter cold of February.

But if you're considering the January sailing, the month is school holidays in Australia, and most touristy-type places are very busy. And personally, I find February to be hotter and more miserably summer than January and would much rather be in an air conditioned place than out exploring.

It is actually nearing the end of the School Holidays and ends when the kids are back at school, so you won't be getting many families, Parents don't want their children missing out on the first day back at school for their new classroom, teacher and school year. This also may effect some Grandparents for a variety of reasons.

The end of school holidays is actually quite a good time to travel as you don't get the families and masses of kids but at the same time people without kids don't tend to take their holidays at this time either because preference in the workplace is given to parents with kids for while they might not be cruising they still may want time off. Remember though, while families might not be holidaying, the kids are not in school so every on land will be busier. Why the February cruise is busy is because all us DINKS and Grey Nomads heave a sigh of relief that the kids are back to school and feel it is safe to go outside again :)

Weather between January and February is not that much different - still hot (though February has the edge in the heat stakes) though can be quite cool in southern New Zealand so pack accordingly.

My guess would be it's Northern Hemishpere people trying to escape the bitter cold of February.

But if you're considering the January sailing, the month is school holidays in Australia, and most touristy-type places are very busy. And personally, I find February to be hotter and more miserably summer than January and would much rather be in an air conditioned place than out exploring.

I agree that January would be preferable because of the heat in Australia in February - the school holidays will nearly be at an end, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue with lots of children around.

As was said in another post - it can be cooler in New Zealand and you may need a light jacket.

In New Zealand the children are on their long school holidays until the first week of February and this is most likely why the later cruise is booked up as there will be few to no children on that cruise. There is also a Public Holiday here on the 7th February.

The weather in New Zealand is generally a lot warmer and more settled in February compared to January.

Edited by Te Aroha
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
We're planning to cruise on Diamond Princess from Auckland to Sydney. The Princess website shows that the Jan. 22 sailing has plenty of balcony cabins available, while the Feb. 15 sailing is sold out.

I'm just wondering if there's a reason to avoid the January cruise, or if there's some other reason why the February cruise filled up more quickly.

There is only one reason. School kids. Much less chance of being overrun by very rowdy school kids in Feb. Also as posted, school resumes end of January in Australia.

I have just completed an Alaska cruise with virtually no kids - just heaven.

February is a better time of year weatherwise to cruise in NZ.

Also no school children on cruise at that time of year.

And yes, February is when Northern Hemisphere cruisers have had enough of their winter weather at home and seek warmer climates!