New leaving and arrival times

transatlantic fan

I have seen on the cunard site that my transatlantic in July now departs Southampton at 5pm and not 6pm as before and now arrive in New York at 7.15 and not 6.00 am.

I thought they would have wanted as much time as possible between cruises.

Any thoughts on why this may be?.

Could they be doing the airline trick of 'padding' their schedule - announcing 'we are arriving early' when in fact they are taking the same amount of time as before, just arriving earlier than timetabled (I used to take a 55 minute flight which was re-timetabled to 1 hr 10 mins, and forever after routinely arrived '15 minutes early')? It may also be the time they expect pax to disembark - after clearing the ship, rather than the time they expect to tie up at the pier.:rolleyes:

Peter

I would like it to dock at 7.15 at least then when we go under the narrows bridge it would be daylight rather than pitch black as always in the past .

Sunrise in July in New York is between 5.30 and 5.50am - and civil twilight starts between 4.50 and 5.20 - so its unlikely you will be in 'pitch black' in any case.

Peter

I thought they would have wanted as much time as possible between cruises.

No - they just throw you out of your cabin early and make you wait in the public rooms - that way they can start on a lot of the turn around work before they even tie up. Cunard certainly give me the impression that they'd rather I disappeared on the last day and wasn't wanting anything off them.

My thoughts go to saving Cunard's money - it will mean a slightly slower speed (less fuel used) and I suspect that they have to pay more if the dock staff need to be on duty at an earlier hour.

Archived