Soller Train from Mallorca to Soller

Can someone give me details about how to catch the bus from port to get to the Soller train station? Also was it worth the trip? Or did it feel rushed since you're on a schedule due to the cruise ship?

Do the cruise ships offer this excursion? Or must you do it on your own?

You can find a guide I made here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012973

Anyway, the ships docks in Palma. Palma is the capital of the island of Mallorca. This is important because if you ask for directions, and you ask someone how to go to Mallorca (meaning Palma) while on the island, people will just not understand you.

The confusion comes because the official name of the city is "Palma de Mallorca". This is only because the Canary Islands have other cities and islands with names similar to Palma, but no one in Mallorca will ever use that long redundant name.

Regarding the excursion, 8 hours should be enough if you organize well, but I bet RCI will definitely offer the excursion. Since the Allure is so big, I wouldn't be surprised if they organized a charter / unscheduled trip for the passengers of the cruise ship only.

Since the Allure is so big, I wouldn't be surprised if they organized a charter / unscheduled trip for the passengers of the cruise ship only.

I'm not sure the railway company runs anything other than the scheduled services. I don't know whether they would have enough of the rolling stock to be able to do that.

I think they do, last time we went to Soller we got on a train that run from Soller to Palma 30 minutes before the scheduled time. I did really not pay attention at all, and we did not do it on purpose since and I am a very reliable planner! but on that occasion we were tired, just saw the train, and thought it had to be ours

That train was a special one direct to Palma with a very large group of tourists. It had to stop at Bunyola just for the two of us, since it was not supposed to. The man from the Soller train almost yelled at us when he saw out tickets (supposedly he asked anyone if they were going to Palma, we though he meant as a Palma-bound train, "where else?", and did not realize we were on the wrong train after it had departed)

So if they run 2 trains with just half an hour difference, they can make other special trains like that, they are a private company after all so they want to maximize income. And they have enough rolling stock parked at Soller station to do that.

Edited by Elmartellama

Thanks so much for the link. Great details. A few questions......can you prepay for tickets online? Or only purchase them at the station?

Also, does anyone have trouble with Bus 1 to Placa Espanya being too full? We are on the huge Allure, so just curious if the bus is ever too full.

Where exactly at the port do you get on Bus 1? Is there a sign?

Just exit the terminal and the bus stop is right there. It's very visible as you can see in google maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.553328,2.626512,3a,89.9y,202.25h,96.15t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slE3E-NUORjemi1R-4oNZqg!2e0

I don't know if the buses are full when a big ship arrives, you better ask someone on a previous Allure itinerary next year.

I don't think you can pre-purchase the Soller train tickets online, but you never know, try to send them an email

We took it last Saturday (April 19). First, we would have taken a taxi directly from the pier to the train station. We took the 1000 train to Soller, and the 1215 back to Palma; there is also a 200pm train back to Palma, but we thought that would cut it too close to our departure time. There really isn't enough time to take the trolley into the port from the train station in Soller. Roundtrip was 19.5 Euros per person, cash; they don't take credit cards.

Get there early and stake oout your seats, otherwise you will be stuck in less comfortable seats, and possibly not sitting with your travel partner. Some carriages have cushioned seats and some have wooden slat seats. Remember, this is a narrow gauge train.

From Palma to Soller, the train was full. The scenery is incredible. About halfway, the train to Soller stops for ten minutes or so for a photo opportunity/smoke break. When we arrived at Soller, a line formed at the station restroom. The train isn't air conditioned, so the windows open which makes picture taking easy.

The train back to Palma was almost empty, and it didn't make the photo stop. I would take this ride again, and again.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know.

-John

I think the 1010 is the first train to Soller. If you take the 1215 train back to Palma, you really don't have much time in Soller, but my big interest was the train yard there. DW walked around the square a bit. Depending on what time your ship leaves, the 1400 train back to Palma gives you more time to explore and may be a better option; the return trip is just under an hour. We had a 1630 all aboard time, so not knowing the area, we didn't want to cut it too close. The train seems to stick to the schedule really well based on our one-time there and back experience. I've heard of others who take the train in the morning to Soller, then the trolley into the port, and the bus back, which is quicker. I have no knowledge to discuss it with any authority, though.

-John

I've heard of others who take the train in the morning to Soller, then the trolley into the port, and the bus back, which is quicker. I have no knowledge to discuss it with any authority, though.

-John

It's a very good option

SailingDeanna, take a look at my guide, there's more info there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2012973

• 1 month later...