Athens- DIY walking tour?

kathew

Here's an update from our trip:

-We took a cab and got to the Acropolis by 7:30. We were the 1st visitors up to the Parthenon

-We were in great shape, so just beware. However, we finished with 3 hours to spare and didn't feel rushed at all!! So it is definitively doable. We even had a sit-down lunch in the Plaka.

421100445_AthensMap.jpg.59b9a77a8ba54f7846602901e8fa05a1.jpg

Check out "Athens Free Walking Tour" online. We took the train (there is now an express bus) from Pireaus to the meeting point, the Monistiraki metro stop, and walked 5km around the Acropolis. It took about three hours. The guide was excellent and the cost is a tip in the amount of your choice.

• 3 weeks later...
Check out "Athens Free Walking Tour" online. We took the train (there is now an express bus) from Pireaus to the meeting point, the Monistiraki metro stop, and walked 5km around the Acropolis. It took about three hours. The guide was excellent and the cost is a tip in the amount of your choice.

I was hoping you could answer some questions about this tour

1) How far in advance did you book/email them?

2) What time did the tour start?

3) On their website they say the tour does not go inside the Acropolis, did you have time to go in after, and to the museum....or not needed?

4) I know this is hard to answer but do you think teenagers would enjoy it?

Thanks a lot!!!

I think that's it ;)

I was hoping you could answer some questions about this tour

1) How far in advance did you book/email them?

I sent an email about a week or so in advance.

2) What time did the tour start?

We met about 9am. It was a 5km walk (very hot in August) and went right around the Acropolis. He congratulated us, LOL. We were 60 and 64 and would do it again!

3) On their website they say the tour does not go inside the Acropolis, did you have time to go in after, and to the museum....or not needed?

After the tour, he said you could walk back and climb the Acropolis. We had climbed it on a previous visit so just had a relaxing lunch, shopped a little in the Plaka, and took the train back to the port and walked to the ship.

When you email them, you can ask about there being enough time to do both the tour and climb. To get back to the ship in time, I think lunch would need to be grab and go.

We did not visit the new Archeological Museum on this trip. IMHO, the museum was interesting but climbing the Acropolis is a much bigger thrill. We're people who would rather be outside than inside and, depending on the teenager (we've had a couple), the museum may not hold their interest. Unless you're spending a few days there, pre or post cruise, you can't do it all.

4) I know this is hard to answer but do you think teenagers would enjoy it?

Yes, because the guide we had was a young person. 'Senior' friends of ours later booked the tour on my recommendation and loved they were walking with a group of young people staying at a hostel. You pay what the tour is what you think it's worth, or what you can afford to pay, so it attracted students when they did it.

Thanks a lot!!!

I think that's it ;)

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much perfect!!!

Of course, the group may consist of 'budget-conscious:confused:' seniors from the ship (or families:)), and I don't know if any of their guides are 'mature' people.;)

For a first-time visit (for me), I would have definitely climbed the Acropolis, tried to fit in the walking tour (that ended with walking through the Plaka), skipped lunch if I had to:eek:, and do the walking tour that provided us with an active excursion with someone leading us while providing some of the history. I don't remember how long it took for the climb so you really need to ask the walking tour company if you'll have time to do both depending on how much time you have in port. I don't know if they have afternoon walking tours so you could do the Acropolis in the morning.

Have a great time!

Practical tip: when you are climbing the Acropolis, start at the southeast entrance (the one near the Acropolis Museum). It is much less steep, with a lot of easy path switchbacks and a couple of hundred less steps to climb as well as excellent views of the two theaters on that side of the hill.