Walking From Oia to Fira

suntan

We will be in Santorini next month on the Silhouette. We are there from 7am to 5pm. We want to visit Oia and Fira. Someone in our party, who has been to Santorini before, said we could take a bus from Fira to Oia and walk back to Fira. I've read this could take 2-3 hours. I checked the temperature in Oia at 12:30pm today and it was 33C (91F). When I asked what if we got tired from walking how do we get back. This person said we could "find the road" and hail a cab. This concerns me. "Find the road"? If you walk from Oia to Fira what does one walk on - a dirt path? How easy is it to hail a cab? I want to make sure we make it back to Fira to get on the cable car back to the tender with plenty of time to spare. Thanks.

We did this walk a few years back and can attest to the fact that it's at least 3 hrs (I think we took 4 largely due to stopping and gazing at the view). To avoid the mid-day heat we did the walk from Fira to Oia as soon as we docked and made it to Oia in time for a relaxing lunch before taking the bus back.

The walk is partially along roads and walkways with a substantial portion along dirt paths. It's not an easy walk but it sure was nice. We took two large bottles of water and drank both before the end of the journey. You will pass hotels and such along the way in case you choose to stop and rest. I suspect that you would be able to get a cab at many of these places.

Please note that the last portion of the walk (if heading toward Oia) is long and doesn't have much until you get to Oia. If you choose to do this walk make sure you search for good directions. The route isn't that well marked (not that you'd get lost).

Here is a trip advisor review of the hike. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g189433-d2368798-r141461113-Hiking_Trail_Fira_Oia-Santorini_Cyclades.html

Edited by RickT

We did it last September to Oia. By the time we started walking it was about 10AM and warm. Luckily we are used to exercising in warm weather but if you are not allow extra time. There is not an ounce of shade so cover up, slather sunscreen, wear a big hat and comfortable shoes. The trail was very walkable but there is a steep section with loose rock/ gravel. I stopped periodically for photos and it took us about three hours. I would do it again if we return ---the views were breathtaking. We then had a lovely long lunch, caught the bus back and walked down the donkey path to catch our tender back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a spectacular hike! We did it in April, 2009, getting an early start from Fira. We took the cable car up, used Trip Advisor directions for starting the hike, and off we went. The link in an earlier post to additional TA reviews is a good one. We will be in Santorini in early May and intend on hiking this again. Pack some snacks, plenty of water, and wear good shoes. It took us a little over three hours, and that included myriad photo stops and two short snack stops.

Where's the fun in that?

If you do hike, in addition to the items mentioned make sure you are wearing wide brimmed hats -- not baseball caps. We are from sunny AZ and still found the sun brutal. But yes, I would do this hike again in heartbeat -- maybe the reverse Oia to Fira. Our cruise next month stops in Mykonos instead of my preference Santorini. Darn! Maybe we will get back next Med cruise.