Tipping and internet questions

luckybecky

Just received my "Answerbook" from Paul Gauguin -- must mean my cruise is getting closer! Yay!

One thing in this package of information seems contradictory. Regarding tipping, here is what PG says:

"Dining on Your Own: It is normal to tip anywhere from 10%-18% for satisfactory to extraordinary service.

Don’t’ forget to check your bill to see if service was added automatically.

Local Guides/Drivers: $2 per person per day

Tipping is not customary in Tahiti; it is not necessary to leave tips in restaurants or tip cabdrivers unless you

wish to reward some truly exceptional service."

This sounds very contradictory to me. First, they say that it is normal to tip 10-18% when "dining on your own." Then they say tipping is NOT customary in Tahiti and it is not necessary to tip in restaurants.

Likewise for taxis. They say to tip $2 per person for local guides/drivers, but then say it is not necessary to tip cab drivers.

So which is it?

Secondly, I don't have a clue which internet package to purchase. I don't know if I am a "light" user or "heavy." I doubt I would be a "power" user. Or would I?

PACKAGE MBS PRICE PRICE/MB

Pay-as-you-go 1 $0.40 $0.40

Small package (individual light user) 100 $29 $0.29

Medium package (individual heavy user) 250 $49 $0.20

Large package (family share and power user) 750 $99 $0.13

I would like to have internet access to post photos on Facebook and read Facebook probably a few minutes daily, check email briefly (don't need a lot of time for this, no business-related work done by email), and Skype our kids for a few minutes once every couple of days. What package would cover this type of usage?

I don't think it's contradictory...

It is normal to tip in a number of countries.

In some countries a service charge is added on the bill automatically.

In Tahiti tipping in restaurants and for cabs is not the norm but I do know it is appreciated.

Guides and drivers refer to booked excursions. Tips are not included here.

BTW you are expected to tip the Spa staff....gratuities not included here.

Cannot help you with the Internet as we get some free minutes and DH buys the heavy user for work. Keep in mind it can be spotty in these areas.

For our first trip to FP in 2000, we did a pre-cruise at the late lamented Pearl on Manihi, which is an atoll up in the Tuamotos. My first night I, amazingly, went to the bar. When I left I left the barmaid a tip, probably 15 - 20% or so. Even more amazingly, the next night I went back the bar. The barmaid wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't serve me, was just generally angry with me. Finally I cajoled her into telling me just what the f**k was going on. I had insulted her be leaving her a tip. The only way I could make it up to her is that after she got off her shift she bought Wendy and I drinks. Then all was fine for the rest of our stay, but I never left a tip again.

The culture has changed since then, but not totally. Papete, the main city on Tahiti island, has long had North American standards for tipping: lots and often. Other places not so much. My advice is to watch what the locals are doing. You don't want to short-change somebody who was working hard for you, but you also don't want to insult anybody.

For our first trip to FP in 2000, we did a pre-cruise at the late lamented Pearl on Manihi, which is an atoll up in the Tuamotos. My first night I, amazingly, went to the bar. When I left I left the barmaid a tip, probably 15 - 20% or so. Even more amazingly, the next night I went back the bar. The barmaid wouldn't talk to me, wouldn't serve me, was just generally angry with me. Finally I cajoled her into telling me just what the f**k was going on. I had insulted her be leaving her a tip. The only way I could make it up to her is that after she got off her shift she bought Wendy and I drinks. Then all was fine for the rest of our stay, but I never left a tip again.

The culture has changed since then, but not totally. Papete, the main city on Tahiti island, has long had North American standards for tipping: lots and often. Other places not so much. My advice is to watch what the locals are doing. You don't want to short-change somebody who was working hard for you, but you also don't want to insult anybody.

Totally true. We have noticed this over the years.

Thanks for the info Emdee and David. I agree that I would not want to insult anyone. Tipping a driver a mere $2 per person per day would seem insulting to me! Maybe OK for a short taxi ride, but for a tour lasting hours to a full day it seems like nothing. But if that is the custom I'll go with it. Always happy to save money where I can, but not at the expense of someone who has worked hard for us and deserves a larger tip.

Becky

Thanks for the info Emdee and David. I agree that I would not want to insult anyone. Tipping a driver a mere $2 per person per day would seem insulting to me! Maybe OK for a short taxi ride, but for a tour lasting hours to a full day it seems like nothing. But if that is the custom I'll go with it. Always happy to save money where I can, but not at the expense of someone who has worked hard for us and deserves a larger tip.

Becky

We usually tip 6 to 12$ per person per day for a bus tour. Often we take this figure up or down depending on quality. Ultimately one has to give what one thinks is fair....

I know you use a lot of MB posting pictures. checking email is ok, but you might need the big package if you really want to post pictures on the ship. plus, slow speed may be frustrating.

Personally I,ve never tipped but then again I've been going to FP for a long time, a time when giving a tip was considered rude, as another attested to on her experience.

Part of this is a generational thing. The older Polynesians still can be insulted if you tip. The younger people have come to expect it. This is where it gets interesting as many times tips are already factored in and when you tip is double bonus time.

I take a good look at restaurant checks, normally it's been factored in except if it's a small eatery like at someone's home.

My best advice would be to check the check or simply ask it's been factored in and only if the person is under 30 or appears to be under 30. If you want to tip you can simply ask them if it would offend if you tipped.

But as I said, I personally don't tip and Don't use the spa, if I did I'd follow Emdee's lead