Oceania: Cape Town to Rio 2015

Lady Linda

We booked this cruise for November 28 and are looking to fly in to see Vicktoria Falls & Kruger National Park before the cruise begins. Other ports that we are looking for tour information would be Luderitz, Namibia and Walvis Bay, Namibia. Any suggestions of things to see and especially tour companies to work with or things to do on our own would be appreciated.

Lady Linda

LOL, :o Your location "Signal Hill CA" caught me off-guard for a moment. I was thinking: "What is a person in South Africa doing asking about travel to all these places when they should know everything about those places?" ... Bet you are wondering why. Well:

1. There is a Signal Hill in Cape Town, and

2. CA is the old vehicle registration code for vehicles from Cape Town.

:o I am just other side of the 605 :D

If you have more questions then ask away, quite a few of us will be able to provide info, but definitely try to use the search function first as this will save us repeating the same things we have posted previously.

Edited by Starlight Durban Cruising
extra info

Hi Lady Linda,

Come over to our roll call on this cruise. There are a few postings this early. Several of us are looking into precruise options to see Mandela sites and animal viewing. Starlight Durbin Cruising has given some good ideas on other threads so do a search. I am finding there are so many options it will be difficult to narrow them down.

If you need Rio info, I can help there as we were on the crossing last November.

Pearl

• 8 months later...

Hi Stan,

We are booked on the Nov. 28, 2015 Oceania Cruise out of Cape Town. We will be in Luderitz, Namibia for one day and Walvis Bay, Namibia, for two days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are there any Safari type tours in either port? Thanks.

Marty & Carol, Woodland Hills, CA

Hi Marty and Carol,

Check out the link above to my postings about Luderitz. For Walvis Bay/Swakopmund, it will be worthwhile to visit the town of Swakopmund (old German colonial architecture), and then there are the flamingos on the lagoon at Walvis.

Sorry I don't have much more info as it was many years since I was last there, but I can tell you that it is an amazing, isolated, tranquil part of the world. Any tour you do there will be worth it - especially if it gets out into the desert. There will be traditional German cooking at restaurants in town too.

Try a Google-search and that should guide you in the right direction for Walvis Bay and Swakopmund.

Happy travels.