School buses used for St Lawrence Trips

tring

We are on a St. Lawrence cruise in late May/June and have noticed that a number of cruise ship trips say that they use school buses, as though it was a sort of warning. School buses in Britain are just standard buses, so we do not understand what is meant by that.

I am looking at trips from Gaspe, Havre St Pierre, Saguenay and Sydney. I am not sure if all those places mention school buses, but a number of them did.

Please can anyone explain what the transport is like?

Thank you for the replies. I suspect that is all that is available in some of the smaller ports.

The buses look a bit like lorries, does that mean that the suspension is very hard? I suspect the legroom, and possibly width of seats will be limited, but are they wooden benches with straight backs or is there a little bit of padding?

We are not considering any lengthy bus tours, but there are transfers of about an hour to/from some places and sometimes on windy roads. We are in our mid 60's with no particular health probs

There should be padded seats and backs. They're not wooden. Legroom will be limited. They're built with children in mind. The larger you are, the more difficult it is to get in and out of the bench seat. We had similar school buses in some of the more remote locations in Alaska, last year.

Thanks for those replies. I will just have to take some painkillers before I go if the joints are playing up that day!!

It has put me off booking two trips in the day in Havre St Pierre though. We will just stick with the boat trip.

Thanks again,

Barbara

I actually take a school bus to school every day, and I live in Montreal. They are big and yellow, like you can see in the pictures. Some are very comfy, while some aren't. It depends how soft the seats are and how well the driver drives. I'll give you on piece of advice, don't sit in the back, because if you hit big bumps, you can easily fly off your seat.

Edited by Stefanosthecruiselover

Another useful point!

We hope to meet up with my niece and her family in Montreal, which will be good. The last contact I had with her was a week or two ago and there was a blizard outside and it was -22C. Glad we will be there in early June, rather than midwinter!!

Thank you Stefanosthecruiselover.