Fashionable in Alaska?

Have been trying to answer your posts forever but, my computer was acting up. I kept reading your replies, but, couldn't reply...very frustrating.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Lois I am so sorry I won't meet you. We had booked for the following week, but we wanted to see Vancouver, so, we switched our dates. We are from Florida and I have lurked on that thread forever, posting every once in a while. I have met Kathy and Dennis and cruised with them several times. I will definitely take a look at all your pictures.

Melinda, thank you also for posting the picture of your clothes. Sure, if you want to post other pictures, it would be helpful. We always drive to our cruises and have not flown in at least twenty years, so, you can imagine the nightmare I will go through.

Mousey, thank you also. We are so excited to be doing this cruise. May never have the chance again. It is for our 50th anniversary and my sister and her husband will be going with us. I have been pouring over these boards.

Lois, I think you should switch your dates and cruise with us. Do you have any favorite excursions and "must do " ideas you would like to share ?

Again, thanks to all of you. Everyone has been so great to take their time and answer my questions, and I am sure I will have more. Everyone, feel free to share any info you feel is important.

Janet

Have been trying to answer your posts forever but, my computer was acting up. I kept reading your replies, but, couldn't reply...very frustrating.

Thanks to all of you for your help. Lois I am so sorry I won't meet you. We had booked for the following week, but we wanted to see Vancouver, so, we switched our dates. We are from Florida and I have lurked on that thread forever, posting every once in a while. I have met Kathy and Dennis and cruised with them several times. I will definitely take a look at all your pictures.

Melinda, thank you also for posting the picture of your clothes. Sure, if you want to post other pictures, it would be helpful. We always drive to our cruises and have not flown in at least twenty years, so, you can imagine the nightmare I will go through.

Mousey, thank you also. We are so excited to be doing this cruise. May never have the chance again. It is for our 50th anniversary and my sister and her husband will be going with us. I have been pouring over these boards.

Lois, I think you should switch your dates and cruise with us. Do you have any favorite excursions and "must do " ideas you would like to share ?

Again, thanks to all of you. Everyone has been so great to take their time and answer my questions, and I am sure I will have more. Everyone, feel free to share any info you feel is important.

Janet

Hi Janet, oh I love Kathy and Dennis:D been friends with them for

many years!:)

I can't sail on May 1st......I cannot ever sail at the very end of the

month or the first day of the next month......(work:rolleyes:)

As for favorite excursions? Ketchikan.....click on this link and

check out the tour....... www.islandwings.com ...floatplane tour is

absolutely fantastic! I would definitely recommend them. Michelle

is the owner and pilot.:)

Melinda and Lois,

Those pics are exactly the kind of clothing that is perfect for an Alaskan cruise. It's similar to what I wore on mine. It's so nice of you to share your pics.

White can be worn anytime of year. The old "no white after Labor Day" no longer holds true. I know some women still can't get behind that (it took me forever to attempt it), but once you try it you'll see that you have a new option.:D

We got off the Ncl jewel a couple of weeks ago. Me 40s and 2 teen daughters. We dressed for our excursions with jeans and layers, fishing, helicopter glacier hike and whale watching(small boat). On board the teens wore jeans and cute tops or sweaters w flats or sperries. I wore jeans w light sweaters and tank that showed at bottom or leggings amd sweater. Saw many women with leather ankle boots or heals, being uncomfortable. We dressed for dinner, a bit more than church dress but less cocktail party. My best recommendation find sweaters/tops that go with jeans and leggings

Dress up with scarf or jewelry. It was absolutely an amazing experience.

I'm starting to put my wardrobe together for an August Land-Sea trip and this thread has been my savior. I know there is no way I'm packing it all in a carry on, but I think I'll be able to get everything into a 30 inch duffel and a backpack.

Doing blue-grey-black as my color scheme and scarves to change up day to day look. Shoes hopefully will just be my trail runners, a pair of cross trainers, and one maybe two flat options for dinner. Does anyone recommend taking a fleece lined clog or boot?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Hi,:) everyone is different of course, but I don't own any fleece lined

shoes and never needed them on any of my 3 cruises to Alaska:)

I wore walking shoes (and socks:D).

I think a pair of waterproof or water resistant boots would be better than fleece-lined ones. I wore a pair of water-resistant boots and was so glad I did as we had a heavy rain in one port and I was glad I had them to wear on our boat and glacier excursions.

• 4 weeks later...

I am just now making my packing list for August. I have really appreciated all the tips for what to pack and how to put different looks together with fewer items. I hope it works:o I am hoping to keep my word to myself about less is best! I am wondering how those who do carry formal wear are keeping their packing to a minimum? I carry one formal dress(long) and one short and my DH carries one tuxedo. I am hoping to minimize my daywear as to just changing tops at night as we usually eat in the dining room. Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to cut down on clothing?:)

I am just now making my packing list for August. I have really appreciated all the tips for what to pack and how to put different looks together with fewer items. I hope it works:o I am hoping to keep my word to myself about less is best! I am wondering how those who do carry formal wear are keeping their packing to a minimum? I carry one formal dress(long) and one short and my DH carries one tuxedo. I am hoping to minimize my daywear as to just changing tops at night as we usually eat in the dining room. Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to cut down on clothing?:)

Hi, the question about formalwear? I normally have dresses that are

a jersey material...I LOVE IT:D....folds up to nothing and does not

wrinkle and can be quite dressed up:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, the question about formalwear? I normally have dresses that are

a jersey material...I LOVE IT:D....folds up to nothing and does not

wrinkle and can be quite dressed up:)

Hi Lois, thanks for the advice on formal wear. I found a nice long jersey dress that will do fine for one of the nights. You are right, very comfortable and lightweight! My packing list is complete.:) Ann

You can mix & match evening wear just like day wear. One bottom (skirt or pants) with a couple of tops.

Start with less, add only what you REALLY need based on a packing list/clothing plan. For me - mentally - this is far easier than starting with everything I might want and trying to remove from the pile.

(I'm trying to plan my packing list for China now - business & leisure - and pack light! Same idea applies - light layers, limited color palette, fewer bottoms than tops & warmth layers, plan to wash some laundry in my hotel sink, etc)