Question for the nail experts

magandab

Yep, probably sunscreen or bug spray. I've seen it happen with acrylic too before we started putting hard gel (which is non porous) on as a top coat. I've had sunscreen dull my toe nail polish and gunk it up. Weird and scary at the same time. We put that on our skin!

After two different sets of nails by two techs since December, I soaked them off and am living with the hell of growing mine out. They are getting better and don't hurt anymore :(

I know that once I get the healthy nail grown out a bit more, and definitely for my August cruise, I'll manage to forget all this and I'll want a new set.

What I'm wondering is, honestly and realistically, what will happen if I refuse to let the tech grind my nails down first? Will the nails really fail to adhere and just fall off? As hard as it was to get them off, that's difficult to imagine.

I would find a new nail tech

I have acriylic tips and my nails are never ground down , the salon i go to are rather evengelical in preaching about going to salons who use electic files and 'cheap' dental acrylic which is very hard and needs electic files , and will probably end up causing serious damage

My nails are only lightly buffed with a file , I have new set every 4th infil ( because i have french tips) if i didnt want them replaced they would lightly file and buff the ridges out , and would want me to go back a few times to do this , and yes my nails do stay put !

I have known them to refuse to do work on nails they consider have been over filed

I would find a new nail tech

I have acriylic tips and my nails are never ground down , the salon i go to are rather evengelical in preaching about going to salons who use electic files and 'cheap' dental acrylic which is very hard and needs electic files , and will probably end up causing serious damage

My nails are only lightly buffed with a file , I have new set every 4th infil ( because i have french tips) if i didnt want them replaced they would lightly file and buff the ridges out , and would want me to go back a few times to do this , and yes my nails do stay put !

I have known them to refuse to do work on nails they consider have been over filed

MMA ("cheap dental acrylic") is actually banned in many states if not country wide and is considered by the FDA to be toxic for use in nails. Anyone putting this on a clients nails is potentially breaking the law. (The MMA is bought under the counter and is about $200 cheaper a gallon than acrylic liquid, hence why they can do nails at say $20 a set).

http://archive.wtsp.com/investigators/article/357657/34/Local-nail-salons-fined-for-using-dangerous-MMA-chemical

There is still a place for the drills but you have to be properly trained on them and they should never burn or be used on a natural nail. There are some great techs out there that use drills correctly.

A skillful tech can work without them though but it does take a lot longer to do "freehand" which is why many of the NSS use the drills. (NSS is a term used in the industry for what is deemed a salon that does not abide by the regulations).

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

MMA ("cheap dental acrylic") is actually banned in many states if not country wide and is considered by the FDA to be toxic for use in nails. Anyone putting this on your nails is potentially breaking the law.

http://archive.wtsp.com/investigators/article/357657/34/Local-nail-salons-fined-for-using-dangerous-MMA-chemical

There is still a place for the drills but you have to be properly trained on them and they should never burn or be used on a natural nail.

Agreed. And you can do just as much damage with a regular file as you can a drill. It's all in having a tech that knows what they're doing.

Trish as we can't pm on here, if you email me at

mycruisebuddies@gmail dot com

I can send you some more details where you can get it done either with us or in your neighbourhood.

E-mail sent!

I'm trying to grow my nails a bit before getting the manicure. I've had a bad habit all my life of picking at them, especially when they get a rough edge, so I usually have pretty short, stubby nails. I might get the OPI Nail Envy or Nail Tek to strengthen them. Up until now I've just been trying to apply lotion (either Sally Hansen Hand and Nail, or, more recently, Vaseline Healthy Hand & Nail) at least a couple of times a day to keep the cuticles in decent shape.

Edited by TrishOB
Forgot to include quote

I haven't seen that on any of our clients but as Shellac is porous it can stain like a natural nail. Saying this, it is a stable product and it doesn't turn yellow by itself or in the bottle, so something has caused it to do this.

My first question would be, do you smoke?

As daft as this might sound, it could be something else someone has touched such as spices and other food stuffs especially curry and even oranges, teabag squeezers, self tanner, bronzer, foundation not wiped off hands after application, hair mouse, gel, dye etc. etc..

It's probably almost impossible to say what has caused it but products like insect spray or sun screen products which contain DEET can be an issue for Shellac in general. Cleaning materials can effect it to, which is why we always say wear gloves if you can. Try to wash your hands when applying creams in the sun and when coming out of the pool too if you can.

And of course make sure you use your Solar oil religiously.

Nope, non-smoker.

We were on a trip to Switzerland, so no beach or pool. I really don't remember even using sunscreen (or bug spray). No cooking. Maybe hair products. Guess, I'll just stick to opaque colors.

Edited by sippican

Nope, non-smoker.

We were on a trip to Switzerland, so no beach or pool. I really don't remember even using sunscreen (or bug spray). No cooking. Maybe hair products. Guess, I'll just stick to opaque colors.

Something I forgot to add to the possible list of culprits is hand sanitizer, could be another option.

Maybe you should try the French one more time as it might just have been a one off, but I do understand the reluctance as who wants yellowing nails:eek:

Something I forgot to add to the possible list of culprits is hand sanitizer, could be another option.

Maybe you should try the French one more time as it might just have been a one off, but I do understand the reluctance as who wants yellowing nails:eek:

That could be the answer. Whenever I travel I become germophobic!

Do not want to put up with yellow nails for a vacation. Will look for a nice beachy color.

On another note: I went onto the CND website to look for trained technicians. The salon listed on the locator gave two names. When I called the salon, I was told no one by those names worked there. :confused:

That could be the answer. Whenever I travel I become germophobic!

Do not want to put up with yellow nails for a vacation. Will look for a nice beachy color.

On another note: I went onto the CND website to look for trained technicians. The salon listed on the locator gave two names. When I called the salon, I was told no one by those names worked there. :confused:

That probably was it then, as sanitizer can also break down normal Shellac and polish if you are using it regularly as we all do these days.

Re the listings, when the CND techs move on from a salon they should update where they are now working or have it removed. The certification and location listing belongs to each individual tech not the salon/spa.

Some salons are happy to leave the listing on there though and when clients turn up someone else, probably not certified will just do their Shellac, you might strike lucky, you might not. Unfortunately, the salon is not going to tell you where those CND techs are working now as it is of course the competition.

I might mention this issue at the next get together I have with CND as it is frustrating for consumers trying to find certified techs.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm talking about acrylics. My own nails never grow enough to make a manicure worthwhile. I look like a little kid playing with mommy's polish.

Ha! You could be my sister!! I have never been able to grow out my nails. I have had gel nails (used to have acrylics until I developed an allergic reaction to the primer) for the last 15 or so years. Last year my Mom had some health issues and in December I missed my appointment to get my fill. Well, I decided that I would file them down (and keep filing them down) and just let them grow out. I purchased the "Nailtiques After Artificial Treatment." I was doubtful that this would work and I have over the last couple of months almost made the appointment to get a new set. However, I have stuck with it and I have to say that for the first time in my life my own nails look good! My cuticles are looking a bit ragged so I'm thinking of going to get a manicure. I have to say that the Nailtiques line of products does work!! HTH

I purchased the "Nailtiques After Artificial Treatment." I was doubtful that this would work and I have over the last couple of months almost made the appointment to get a new set. However, I have stuck with it and I have to say that for the first time in my life my own nails look good! My cuticles are looking a bit ragged so I'm thinking of going to get a manicure. I have to say that the Nailtiques line of products does work!! HTH

I am so glad to read this! I have the "After Artificial" kit on its way to me, should arrive today I think. I promised myself I'd do nothing further with my nails (acrylic, shellac, whatever) until all the damaged nail had grown out. Now I'll be even more committed to giving this stuff a chance to do its magic!

I am so glad to read this! I have the "After Artificial" kit on its way to me, should arrive today I think. I promised myself I'd do nothing further with my nails (acrylic, shellac, whatever) until all the damaged nail had grown out. Now I'll be even more committed to giving this stuff a chance to do its magic!

Amy, I'm not going to lie. It has been hard at times and I have wanted to make that appointment but I've stuck with it. Good luck!!

Lisa

Amy, I'm not going to lie. It has been hard at times and I have wanted to make that appointment but I've stuck with it. Good luck!!

Lisa

I'm going through that now, but I'm trying to hold out as I NEVER want to go through this again?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 3 months later...

HELP! My nail is burning horribly!!! I can't tell you if it is around my cuticle area or if it is my whole nail bed, all i know is that it just HURTS!! It started to hurt RIGHT after i filled it with acrylic. I am almost certain that I put to much primer on my nails. That is the only logical explanation for this. I do my nails myself, I don't have a certificate or degree in cosmetics or anything and I am sure that it doesnt matter what i say in regards to how long ive been practicing doing nails and yada yada yada, I know its not the same as going to school and getting a degree, but to my defense, I have been told by SEVERAL nail technicians that i do an AMAZING job and that is BEFORE i tell them that I havent been to school and am all self taught. So I like to think that I am smarter than i apparently REALLY am. I should not have used so much primer. ANYWAYS, I am in a lot of pain and this has been going on for about an hour and i have been on the internet looking for some type of remedy for this burning sensation for that whole hour. I have soaked it in water and also tried soaking it in oil for a little bit. The water remedy is the ONLY remedy that i have been able to find online and the oil remedy is one that for some reason seemed like a solution, LOL, don't judge me, if you haven't already :-) Anyways, that is all i have done about this issue so far, OH, and i actually ripped off the acrylic and nail tip that was on that nail in hopes that it would re leave some pressure, which it did, but not enough. Any advice?? I am dying...also curious as to how long if ever should i wait to put a new tip and acrylic back on this nail?? Thank you!! I am Katie by the way!

HELP! My nail is burning horribly!!! I can't tell you if it is around my cuticle area or if it is my whole nail bed, all i know is that it just HURTS!! It started to hurt RIGHT after i filled it with acrylic. I am almost certain that I put to much primer on my nails. That is the only logical explanation for this. I do my nails myself, I don't have a certificate or degree in cosmetics or anything and I am sure that it doesnt matter what i say in regards to how long ive been practicing doing nails and yada yada yada, I know its not the same as going to school and getting a degree, but to my defense, I have been told by SEVERAL nail technicians that i do an AMAZING job and that is BEFORE i tell them that I havent been to school and am all self taught. So I like to think that I am smarter than i apparently REALLY am. I should not have used so much primer. ANYWAYS, I am in a lot of pain and this has been going on for about an hour and i have been on the internet looking for some type of remedy for this burning sensation for that whole hour. I have soaked it in water and also tried soaking it in oil for a little bit. The water remedy is the ONLY remedy that i have been able to find online and the oil remedy is one that for some reason seemed like a solution, LOL, don't judge me, if you haven't already :-) Anyways, that is all i have done about this issue so far, OH, and i actually ripped off the acrylic and nail tip that was on that nail in hopes that it would re leave some pressure, which it did, but not enough. Any advice?? I am dying...also curious as to how long if ever should i wait to put a new tip and acrylic back on this nail?? Thank you!! I am Katie by the way!

Hi Katie

I'm really concerned that you've done yourself some damage. Try to *safely* soak off your acrylic nail that hurts so much and let a doctor see it. You might have burned it or torn the tissues, causing so much pain.

I would also not reapply anything for while until it has healed completely. Yes, you won't be able to have a full set of nails for a while but it's better than permanently damaging your nailbed.

I'd like to be encouraging... if nail techs have told you you are doing good work, and you have an interest in nails and the beauty business, why don't you look into some proper training? I'm a nail tech myself and there are reasons we go to school for our training. There's reasons we pay so much for that training. There's reasons we have to update our qualifications. There's reasons we carry millions of dollars in liability insurance... we are working with hazardous chemicals and if they are used incorrectly they can cause pain, skin damage, fire, recurrent infections and a number of other disasters.

You've run into a problem that you don't know how to fix because you aren't entirely sure of what you're doing. I've had to fix lots of clients who've gotten a cheap gel or acrylic set and put it on without any idea what they are doing. I'm pleased you have a talent for this, but please go get yourself some training before you hurt yourself.

I hope your finger feels better soon. Good luck x