Alaskan Port Excursions Available at Ports?

ElBano

Cruising on the RCCL Radiance Vancouver to Seward on wondering if there are excursion companies at the ports selling excursions? I have only been in Caribbean cruises and know that here are always companies trying to sell you tours but not sure if this is true in the Alaskan ports?? Thanks for any input!

In Alaska, you are FAR better off, knowing ahead of time, what each port offers and is of interest for you. Time is short- and with booking on the dock when you get there, is using up valuable time with some tours not available unless it is reserved ahead.

So do yourself a favor and at least have some idea of what tour you want to walk up and get before you get there. Look over your shore excursion list and each port's visitor web site.

Cruising on the RCCL Radiance Vancouver to Seward on wondering if there are excursion companies at the ports selling excursions? I have only been in Caribbean cruises and know that here are always companies trying to sell you tours but not sure if this is true in the Alaskan ports?? Thanks for any input!

Hello Elbano,

I just returned from Alaska a week ago. I remember having the same question a few weeks before my trip. Everyone told me to book my excursions ahead of time. I decided not to and was just fine. I visited Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I was really nervous about waiting until the last minute with Juneau. To make a long story short, I was ableto book the tours I wanted without a problem. I even got off the cruise ship later than I wanted and was able to get the tours at a 10% discount. But I do agree with the fellow cruise members, you may want book special and custom tours ahead of time. I booked the whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, Ketchikan wildlife and Yukon territory full day tour. Much less than the cruise ship price and 10% cheaper compared to the promotional rate online.

Alaska is beautiful. Have a great time.

Sydney

Missing Alaska:cool:

Thanks Sydney! We do have whale watch tour booked for Juneau and zip rider in icy point strait but thinking that we would "wing it" in other ports. So hoping to find something interesting to do with tour companies at dock! Skagway white pass tour looks interesting! We sail this Friday so getting very excited about trip!!!!

I would recommend Dyea Dave tour in Skagway.We did the tour to Emerald Lake and the Yukon last year and planning on doing again next year,with them.They are reasonable and we had a wonderful day.

Skagway was the easiest port to book an excursion "in port"

There is a couple booths / buildings setup with people selling excursions. Cannot miss them.

Some of the other ports I could very easily miss them selling excursions.

Hello Elbano,

I just returned from Alaska a week ago. I remember having the same question a few weeks before my trip. Everyone told me to book my excursions ahead of time. I decided not to and was just fine. I visited Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. I was really nervous about waiting until the last minute with Juneau. To make a long story short, I was ableto book the tours I wanted without a problem. I even got off the cruise ship later than I wanted and was able to get the tours at a 10% discount. But I do agree with the fellow cruise members, you may want book special and custom tours ahead of time. I booked the whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, Ketchikan wildlife and Yukon territory full day tour. Much less than the cruise ship price and 10% cheaper compared to the promotional rate online.

Alaska is beautiful. Have a great time.

Sydney

Missing Alaska:cool:

Sydney... what mendenhall glacier tour did you book, and with whom?

Thanks, CT

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have booked ahead of time for Juneau just once--when we kayaked at Mendenhall Lake. Our other two times we did things on our own--touring the Capitol and State Museum, going on a shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier, and taking the tram up Mt. Roberts. As Budget Queen says, make a plan and know what you want to do rather than getting off the ship and running around trying to find a last-minute excursion that sounds interesting.