Using onboard computer to download my camera to my portable SSD

Denverbri69

Nope. All of the computers on every cruise ship are locked down. Can you imagine how many of them would be infected by viruses or malware of the allowed people to connect stuff to them.

BTW - you do not have to "lug" a laptop to do photo downloads. I use a tablet that weighs only 267 grams.

DON

Nope. All of the computers on every cruise ship are locked down. Can you imagine how many of them would be infected by viruses or malware of the allowed people to connect stuff to them.

BTW - you do not have to "lug" a laptop to do photo downloads. I use a tablet that weighs only 267 grams.

DON

I should add that I could have even done it w my cell phone. Download from card to cell phone external memory card and then from cell phone external memory card to an external flash drive.

I am assuming that you just want to back up your photos and not do any editing except to delete the really horrible ones .

DON

I would prefer not to lug my laptop on this trip. do you think Holland America would permit me to transfer my pics from camera to portable drive using their computers?

Won't allow it. If there are any USB slots available, they are completely hidden. Usually system units cannot even be accessed.

my camera uses a CF card so my tablet won't be able to read it. If I connect my camera to my SSD card there is not interface to transfer the files. The patch cord for my camera has usb plug on one end and the table uses mini ubs cord.

What model is your tablet? A mini-USB is very uncommon and hasn't been used for several years. Most use Micro-USB unless it's apple, then you're stuck with whatever proprietary plug is on your model.

Newer tablets with Android 5.0 and higher should support USB-to-go which allows you to plug in a flash drive or card reader via an adapter cable and read it.

Another option is to try a wireless reader that creates its own hotspot and allows you to connect wirelessly with your tablet to download.

http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Wireless-1500mAh-External-Portable/dp/B00RCXX0ZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453740222&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+CF+card+reader

Dave