Best port day plan for a Single mom with 3 and 5 year old

crusinmomwithtwo

Hi! I'll be in St. Martin for the day with my two girls ages 3 and 5 from the Getaway this January, and trying to figure out the best and safest way to spend the day. The only possible excurions with NCL would be the butterfly farm or the Orient Beach Rendezvous. The girls will be happy plauing on the beach all day, and I'd be ok with that too, but need somewhere safe (and safe to get to), and that has restrooms, and ideally some food/drink service to the beach (meaning I can't leave them playing alone to go get a drink). Suggestions?

Walk down the pier and head for the taxi stand, there will be signs. Take a shared taxi to Orient Beach and have driver drop you off at Kakao Beach Club or Orange Fever Beach Club.

Taxis and beach are safe and both have full facilities that you need.

You can ask the driver to come back at a designated time or just walk back to the drop off area. Taxi is around 8.00 p/p not sure about little ones and the beach is free if you sit on the sand. A chair is around 8.00, you can negotiate the price.

http://www.sxm-orientbeach.com/kakao/home.html

http://www.orangefeverorientbeach.com/

Edited by caribsun

I would consider a resort-for-a-day option maybe? I took my two kids (3 and 5 also!) on a cruise to the bahamas alone last year and we did that and it was very easy and I felt secure.

I know the Westin offers day passes that include an actual room for the day and I'm sure there are others. It's nice to have a beach, a pool and food all close together.

I would grab a taxi from the pier and go to the St. Maarten Park (Zoo) for your little ones. Buy a bag of food to feed the animals as you enter.

You could easily spend and hour or maybe two here.

Then taxi back to Philipsburg. I don't have too much of a problem with young ones splashing at the beach now, as much of the pollution has been cleaned up.

There are some decent food and beverage operations available along the beach if you don't decide to head back to the ship. Restrooms no problem for most of the beach chair rental locations.

gary

Thanks all. I was considering the Westin Dawn but at $199 for the three of us I want to make sure I explore all options before committing to that.

rwandmw - any other tips for cruising alone with two that age?

Just get ready for them to be really excited! Have they cruised before?

I spent a lot of time watching them play in the pool/hot tubs (like, literally standing RIGHT there beside them watching for both water safety and to keep weirdos away) and I viewed it as a great time to be with them on their vacation. While it was fun for me as well because it's always great to be in the Caribbean, I really saw it as a chance for me to really enjoy just being with my kids and having that elusive 'quality' time as everyone says.

I know it's $199 plus taxi, but I think you'd really like having your own personal room to enjoy. Just my opinion. I hope you have a great trip!