Flight Opinion Needed

sadoan

This was quite a few years ago when we had booked our flight to San Juan, and then was notified by American about a month before the flight that it had been cancelled and we had been rebooked on a different flight that day. So the number of direct flights for that day had dropped by one. No explanation given. It is true that with Southwest, for frequent routes, example Dallas, to Houston, there will be a cancellation of a flight, and the passengers booked for that particular flight are automatically booked for the next plane out to Houston. This is a practice done in there case for cost, told to me by a Southwest Employee. It is plausible to adjust flights a month out like they did with us.

I thought you were saying it was more of a same day cancellation, but a month or more in advance is a different scenario. Airlines do tweak their schedules and add or reduce flights; sometimes due to low loads in general, sometimes for other reasons. It sounded like you meant it was a last minute change, which does NOT happen simply because the plane isn't full. When a change is made a month or more in advance there are generally alternate solutions that can be found. Thus, no need to panic others by making it sound like they are going to be left stranded on travel day because their flight wasn't sold out. ;)

Are you saying that Southwest cancels flights like you mentioned at the last minute just because they aren't full? What in the world do you think they do with the pax who are booked on that plane's next flight? Leave them stranded? Highly unlikely that the pax on every subsequent flight thereafter can simply be added to the next scheduled flight. If that were the case it would mean Southwest was regularly flying planes at half capacity and that simply isn't the case.

Okay, please excuse my use of adjective, my bad over zealous use of words.

We don't fly enough to have all the experience,

It's just that when people post something "overzealous" like that it tends to stick in the minds of other less experienced travelers who accept it as gospel truth, and then make what might be very ill-advised decisions because they are based on erroneous information.

I was only assuming since I know it is a practice with other airlines and services.
So, we don't know if that's standard at AA, but we DO know it's true at other airlines.

Such as? Just who does this? What other "services"? A smidgen of substance, please.

I will really never know the reason I just know that it happened.
I guess that clarifies the substantive evidence behind your postings.