Cabanas Evening Dining on Fantasy

simplealman

I have a few questions on how the evening dining works on the Fantasy and hope someone who has used this service can help.

Are the courses ordered and brought out one at a time like in the main dining room?

Since you have multiple dining rooms serving various menus each night which choices are on Cabanas menu?

How long does it usually take to eat a full meal?

One in our party will not be able to sit for long periods of time so dining room may not be an option. We have sailed the Fantasy before but always went to the main dining room so we don’t know what to expect in Cabanas at night.

Any other info on dining would also be welcomed.

You will be given a menu with most of the choices from the main dinning rooms are serving that evening. The menu is a full course menu.

Cabanas is "dressed up" for the evening as you will have a full wait staff (in training)-this is where new wait staff are trained before they go to the main dinning rooms. The menu usually has either a rib-eye or strip steak--made to order--and Cabanas is the BEST place for Steak onboard(Dream or Fantasy)!!

The food quality is a bit better at Cabanas as they serve fewer cruisers-its sort of a hidden secret up on deck 11 at night. The mood is more subdued elegant and very casual with the lighting turned down.

We usually go the first night of Animators Palette---Crush is loud and annoying or if our wait staff in main dinning room is bad.

I cannot stress enough the steaks are awesome from Cabanas!!

We've also done the Topsider(pre-refurb of Magic and Beach Blanket on the Wonder) which were also nice.

Note ---Cabanas is not offered as a dining option on the 1st and last night of the cruise.

ScottDVC

You are welcome to see the menu before you are seated. Our experience was that on "Signature menu" nights, Cabanas had 2 items from each of the signature menus. On theme nights, it had 5 of the 6 items on the regular menu. In addition, as noted, it has steaks and a "carved item." The food is BETTER than in the MDRs. It is made fresh when you order. The service is excellent.

The one big difference was that they had only 4 dessert choices rather than the usual 6 in the MDR. Service can be a slow or fast as you wish--tell them that you'll skip the salad course if sitting is a problem!

Thanks scottdvc for the tip on steak. I love a good rib-eye steak and will definably be trying out one or two on the cruise. You said Cabanas was a “dress up” but I thought it was more relax on dress code than main dining from the way Disney’s explains it. I will go back and read it in there FAQ section.

Moki’smommy this sounds good on menu choices and the dessert will not be a problem for me as I never seem to have room for any.

Thanks this is the kind of info I was looking for.

I believe Cabanas is the same dress code as the MDRs, it's just that they "dress up" Cabanas itself for dinner. So there are tablecloths, table service, etc. It's a "fancier" restaurant than at breakfast and lunch.

I believe Cabanas is the same dress code as the MDRs, it's just that they "dress up" Cabanas itself for dinner. So there are tablecloths, table service, etc. It's a "fancier" restaurant than at breakfast and lunch.

OH!!! Now I see what scottdvc was saying. Need to pay more more attention to detail.

We ate at Cabanas one night and what was nice is that you could go any time that you wanted vs. your MDR set seating time. It opened at 6:30 and we went in at that time. We were done within an hour. It's a great alternative to the MDR for time if you don't want to sit that long. Also, the attire is come as you are. I'm glad we tried it one night.

Hi all. This is going to be our first Disney Cruise and we are very excited. We will be aboard the Fantasy on 20 Sept for a 7 night cruise.

We have been given the 2d seating (although we have been put on the "wait list" for first seating) and we are pretty sure that isnt going to cut it because we one of our girls will be still under 2 yrs old at the time of sailing and thats too late to eat.

Thus I suspect we will be at Cabanas everynight. We are disappointed because we really wanted to experienc the theming of the MDRs.

That said, we do want to participate in the formal nights (like me in a Tux level of formal) but Im concerned we will be the only ones in that restaurant dressed up to that level on that evening.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi all. This is going to be our first Disney Cruise and we are very excited. We will be aboard the Fantasy on 20 Sept for a 7 night cruise.

We have been given the 2d seating (although we have been put on the "wait list" for first seating) and we are pretty sure that isnt going to cut it because we one of our girls will be still under 2 yrs old at the time of sailing and thats too late to eat.

Thus I suspect we will be at Cabanas everynight. We are disappointed because we really wanted to experienc the theming of the MDRs.

That said, we do want to participate in the formal nights (like me in a Tux level of formal) but Im concerned we will be the only ones in that restaurant dressed up to that level on that evening.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

We just returned from our first Disney cruise aboard the Fantasy a few days ago. We also had late seating but our kids are much older (13 & 15). The positive to late seating is you'll have the opportunity to see the live shows without a large population of kids, which also lends itself to lower overall attendance and better seats. I'd suggest getting a snack from Flo's or Cabanas to tie you over until dinner. The MDR meals are fantastic & Animator's is a must see....both times (once for Crush & the other for the animation show). Perhaps your girls could dine more before dinner then just order an appetizer and dessert in the MDRs. Mickey bars can be ordered even though they're not on the menu!

As for formal nights, we saw several people dressed to the nines. I did see quite a few tuxes. We also saw some in shorts and t-shirts in the MDR's. Be aware that this is also a big picture taking night in the main atrium on Deck 3. There are multiple backgrounds you can choose from, each being its own station with its own photographer. It really helped keep the lines down. I think there were at least 5 different stations with lines no more than 7-8 groups waiting.

Hope that helps!

The wait list works on the "squeaky wheel" theory. Call DCL at least once a month to ask whether you've been moved to main seating. Starting about 6 weeks before the cruise, call at least weekly. Chances are that you will be moved unless you are part of a huge group.

Just an FYI when I was on the waitlist for the Fantasy I chekced back on my online reservation everday under dining and finally one day it let me switch it to main and I didn't have to worry about the waitlist anymore!!!!! keep trying it and maybe it will open up one day for you!

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

For a real gala formal night dinner, book an evening dinner (adults only) at Remy or Palo, dress up, and enjoy the specialty restaurant(s). I know they are extra charge dinners, but very well worth it! Remy is our favorite and we never cruise the Dream or Fantasy without at least one night there. A less expensive option is the Champaign Brunch held on one of the sea days.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Disney is the best at being accommodating to families. If you are persistent and follow up on calls and seeing the Maitre d’ on the ship as soon as you get on, you will eventually get first dining. I have always got ever request on Disney.

Have faith and don’t stress it will all be ok and you will be enjoying dinner in the MDR.

OH!!! Now I see what scottdvc was saying. Need to pay more more attention to detail.

I took it to mean the same as you did. Good to know that there is another option for dinner and that the food is good, especially when you know you will not be on time for your regular seating time. I will have to try it on our next disney cruise.:)

We really loved Cabanas in the Med when we got back from a long' date=' physically active excursion...we were hungry at 7 and dinner seating wasn't till 8:15. Cabanas (Topsiders then) was the perfect alternative. The food and service were excellent![/quote']

I book for main and always back for that, -bar the only time is St Petersburg, swapped to late there and will *miss* dinner in 2015 as we are staying out all Saturday and the evening as well on a River cruise. Cabanas could be an option then, or we might make Late.

In the Med not an issue yes hungry from being out all day in the heat but as we have main straight in.

WE dined at Cabanas and the one thing I do remember is that they do NOT take reservations! It was strictly 'first come first serve'. One night the wait was 1 1/2 hrs and the other night wait time was about 30 min. Yes we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and would do it again, just be prepared to stand and wait for a long time or go early when they first open. There didn't seem to be a wait then.

WE dined at Cabanas and the one thing I do remember is that they do NOT take reservations! It was strictly 'first come first serve'. One night the wait was 1 1/2 hrs and the other night wait time was about 30 min. Yes we enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and would do it again, just be prepared to stand and wait for a long time or go early when they first open. There didn't seem to be a wait then.

It is completely true that they do not take reservations and seating is limited. That said, we've gone a couple of times and never had a wait. It totally depends on your fellow cruisers! If they got there first, you wait.

Our "usual" time is about 7...so not at opening at all.

But yes,, the wait is something you might want to consider in addition to viewing the menu.

• 2 weeks later...
We ate at Cabanas one night and what was nice is that you could go any time that you wanted vs. your MDR set seating time. It opened at 6:30 and we went in at that time. We were done within an hour. It's a great alternative to the MDR for time if you don't want to sit that long. Also, the attire is come as you are. I'm glad we tried it one night.

Is 6:30 the usual opening time for Cabanas (on Dream)? That seems kind of late for people who want to eat earlier....say 5 or 5:30.........especially with small kids.

Is 6:30 the usual opening time for Cabanas (on Dream)? That seems kind of late for people who want to eat earlier....say 5 or 5:30.........especially with small kids.

Yes, 6:00 or 6:30 is the common opening time. If you want/need to eat earlier, there is room service, fast food options, and main seating in the dining room.

The point seems to be that this gives you an option between the main and late seating in the main dining rooms as closes shortly after the late seating in MDRs begins.

Another option for families with small kids is to feed the kids from one of the other outlets and then put them in the programming. Mom/Dad can then enjoy the dining room without the children.

Remember, Cabanas is not open for dinner on the first or last nights of a cruise...so on the Dream, that means it is open only 1 or 2 nights of your cruise.

It's the thing I dislike the most about Disney Cruises. If you cannot get into early seating, and you have little kids, you are almost forced to do room service, which is inadequate. The availability of food is way too limited. The fact that it is not open the first and last nights is inexcusable. And 6:30 when it is open, is just too late.