queen mary 2 obstructed vs regular balcony

starfamily

Does anyone have a photo showing the difference between the B5 obstructed view balcony cabins and the B4 regular? What type of obstruction is it and what percentage? thank you

SF - aren't you an agent? Haven't you just passed your travel agents' Cunard exam? What does this course teach you if it doesn't tell you anything about the ship or how to book it?

SF - aren't you an agent? Haven't you just passed your travel agents' Cunard exam? What does this course teach you if it doesn't tell you anything about the ship or how to book it?

Perhaps booking with an agent who knows which end of a ship is which might be advised for potential clients. Anyone any ideas of whom to suggest??

;)

Matthew

Does anyone have a photo showing the difference between the B5 obstructed view balcony cabins and the B4 regular? What type of obstruction is it and what percentage? thank you

Even I could have a stab at answering this. I've never been on the ship, and if I do it would not be in these cabins.

I thought only AA-A3 were "regular" AND unobstructed?

Matthew

Anyone any ideas of whom to suggest?

I can't think of anyone with that much knowledge of Cunard ships:p

Even I could have a stab at answering this. I've never been on the ship, and if I do it would not be in these cabins.

Don't be daft! You're nothing like clever enough to be an agent! You would actually have some knowledge about the package you were selling.:D

I can very well read which balconies are obstructed and know they are by life boats I was wondering if anyone had photos that I could show my client so they could see if paying the six hundred dollar difference is worth it to them. My goodness I certainly hope this wonderful couple does not encounter such rude people on their trip of a lifetime

Let's see...

Correct terminology: B5 obstructed view

B4 are sheltered balcony cabins

those in the know......know all about the B6......

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Poor client.. trip of a lifetime booking with an "agent" who......oh never mind........

I can very well read which balconies are obstructed and know they are by life boats I was wondering if anyone had photos that I could show my client so they could see if paying the six hundred dollar difference is worth it to them. My goodness I certainly hope this wonderful couple does not encounter such rude people on their trip of a lifetime

I was in an obstructed cabin in December and you can view my pictures here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556484387ZwZSss

My goodness I certainly hope this wonderful couple does not encounter such rude people on their trip of a lifetime

Rude? You are the one publicly admitting that you haven't got a clue about the ships that you're trying to sell. This is not the first time that you've made such an admission. Your repeated ignorance puts me in mind of "To loose one parent. Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness"! In this case you haven't lost a parent or two, but you have asked two stupid questions.

I do hope the posters were only trying to be funny with their remarks starfamily.

I've booked a cruise on QM2 the end of November.

Anyway...I still love you!

Google?

Matthew

Starfamily:

There tends to be a lot of perceived sniping back and forth between certain people on these boards but you must understand that its more like an odd family over here. Kindlychap is anti-QM2 to the max and Malcolm did ask a legitimate question and any exchanges between the two of them is just considered brotherly around these parts. OK, so its the Addams family but thats just the way it is.

I am sorry that it got rude for you but I hope your questions were answered. I never did the obstructed balcony and probably did what some would even consider worse - the "infamous" in-hull balcony. Personally I did not have a problem with this at all. Also, I knew a couple who was on my last cruise who admitted the obstructed balconies were nowhere as bad as they were led to believe. So.......................

Painter....I think the remarks did start off as "cute". By now I learned to ignore any anti-QM2 or QV remarks. I know where Kindlychap is coming from and I wouldn't consider him "evil" and Malcolm did ask a legitimate question even if it did rub someone the wrong way. Malcolm, go to your room or Karie will have to spank you. Oh wait, you might like that!;)

Not apologizing for anyone. Just pointing out what its like around this neighbourhood and if you want bad.....go visit some of the other threads on the other cruise lines. The first week i joined up after my HAL cruise I wanted to walk away. Two years later I am still here.

Anyway, ask any stupid question you want. As my mother used to say, "there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers"!:D

David

I'm sorry if we come across as rude to you OP....I think the fact that you are going to sell your clients something as expensive as a cruise based on the knowledge you have received from a forum is not the most professional thing I've heard of.

Perhaps you might spend a bit of time actually researching online for the information you need. You'll find plenty of photo albums posted with pictures of a ship you obviously haven't ever seen instead of asking us to help you do your job. Sorry if that sounds rude. I spent hours researching QM2 this way before I booked.

Penny

Okay, folks. I will say it and say it loudly. If you cannot be nice, then just shut up and say nothing.

If I hear one more travel agent sniping at someone who is obviously new to the business, or at least new to the line, bragging on this board how much more experienced, better, more knowledgeable,they are, and how everyone else's clients ought to book with THEM, I will complain to the management.

I am NOT picking on anyone person here, so just forget about that.

Were all of you born with an instant knowledge of every cabin in every ship? I don't think so,.

Let me tell you,.

I am a travel agent. I don't tell many people I know that I am in my regular life, as I am NOT doing this to make money.

There is a lot I don't know, including some of the lingo which is common. and I have been doing this a lot of years. (And including some of the terms that are obvious insider terms that some through around to impress you with how important they are. They are here for themselves when they do that- not to help inform)

I don't even remember some of the ships I have been on. My one RCCL cruise was the something-or-another-of the sea! Don't ask me which one. I'd have to look it up. Sometimes they are so cookie cutter I can't remember one from the other!

Which Carnival ship has the car in the middle of the Neon Plaza? Hell if I remember, and I toured five of them in one day! I loved my Carnival rep, but dislike their ships. I am careful to match the person with the ship. But I don't do it for a living. I do it more for fun, and I say that upfront with anyone who books with me, or asks me. I tell them I will give them the information, but that they do not have to feel obligated to book with me. I do not take advantage of my friends and my friendships. I even learn from them. Heck, it was one of my clients which told me about cruise critic!

I have never seen such a feeding frenzy of circling sharks as I have seen on this board when a poor innocent newcomer, who admits to being a TA, and is obviously enthusiastic asks a simple question. They cannot wait to tear into her flesh and render her out of the competition, then take the spoils. I have been kind enough to people on this board I knew were TAs to recommend them back channel and even give their email addresses. I was repaid by total rudeness and inconsideration.

If I see one more nasty snotty rude self-serving post, I WILL complain to the community manager. There is simply NO excuse for this. You know the rules. They allows us to skirt them gently on occasion. If you cannot behave as an interested poster then you do not belong here. If you are on here to trash other professionals, (no matter how new) and scare up business, then go elsewhere. Buy an ad like the legitimate businesses who support our ability to use this marvelous free site do. Do you think servers grow on trees? Do you think bandwidth falls out of the sky? NO!

I am on another list, related to a certain musician where we share information about other simimlar musicians and such. but we are there first and foremost because of the one in whom our interest brought us together in the first place. There is one poster who does nothing but post about HER CLIENT's concerts, CDs and anything to make money. I happen to be personal friends with some of her clients. I want to throw up every time she posts. I do not think she belongs there, as she is not interested in the subject of the board, only in selling what she's selling.

So I will say it once more.

You are here as a person interested in cruising. You are NOT here as a travel professional trying to gain business. If you cannot abide by those rules, please get off.

None of us were born knowing everything they needed to know about his or her profession. Even those of us who are really dynamite at what we do. trust me. I went from top to bottom in the last year. Nothing like a little humility to throw a cold wet fish in your face and tell you "you ain't all that!"

Starfamily, I think my email is in my profile. I alluded to it here before.

If you want any information and I can help, I will try to do so, I have posted pictures of an obstructed baclony recently, and if you search the threads (search for obstructed balcony and in hull or hull hole balcony) you will find others who have done the same. I thought you might get flamed for not searching, but now, I see they couldn't wait to jump in and discredit your professionalism. whether you know everything or not, I think I would rather book through you than some of the people (who obviously do NOT have their client's best interests at heart- only how much money they will make!) (notice I said SOME) who have jumped on your case. You might make a mistake, you might not know everything (asking is how to learn!) but at least I know that you, unlike some others, are sincere.

Thank you mean, rude people, for making my Friday night so pleasant.

KARIE PARKER

Who is here because I love the ships, the people, the cruising, and the caring and sharing that USUALLY happens on these boards. Not because I want to sell anybody anything or make money off of them.

SHAME ON YOU WHO ARE HERE FOR ANY OTHER REASON!

Karie:

I agree with you but perhaps we should talk. Obviously you have had a lot of stress and this sniping, whether real or not, has gotten to you. I think sometimes an innocent question does get attacked but don't forget that some of the regulars around here are.......well.............. maybe a bit too regular.....Leave it at that. I do thank you for reminding us of the obvious but remember the "Delicate Question" thread ended up being locked up. I was the one who was responsible for reporting it and glad of the fact I did that so I know exactly what you mean.

I think you and I ought to sit down at the Commodore Club on an upcoming QM2 cruise and have a good chat one night. I truly wish you a very good Easter. And the same to Kindlychap, Pnhmrk, Starfamily and Painter and Penny (aka Persephone.....Ooops! I'm in her bad books now!:eek: )

To starfamily,

Its not always like this always and please do NOT run away. Stick with us for awhile.

David

Pollyana 2 from Canada

Karie,

I don't know what you think you have been reading, but I can't believe that it is the same as I have.

The only person who suggested that their clients should go elsewhere was me.

I have no vested interest at all. I'm not a travel agent, nor likely to be, and in any event am not even in the USA.

It is not clear from any post here whether anyone, or everyone, is a travel agent. The only person who has made that explicit is you.

I do think that to come and brag on the board about having passed some test called the Commodore Test (from memory) and then exhibit such crass ignorance of the ship she is selling to her clients does open her up to allegations of unprofessional behaviour.

I am also a little concerned about the lack of nous demonstrated - there is a search engine for this site.

Who on earth would book through this agent, unless the price was hugely less?

Can you give me one good reason?

Matthew

Yikes David...Persephone?? Queen of the Underworld? Moi?? Penelope, wife of Odysseus maybe if we're referring to my real name, but the Queen of the Dead? Or the Iron Queen as Odysseus referred to her when he went to the underworld? Was I that bad?;)

Ok, I'll stay out of this one...the last one was bad enough...glad you reported it David.

Cheers, Penny...off to the underworld to wreak a bit more havoc...or more winter if legend is to be believed...;)

To Karie,

I'm afraid I don't understand. Someone who has previously presented herself as a Cunard expert, because she passed a TA/Cunard test, keeps asking for passengers on Cunard ships to do her research for her.

Why should anyone see this as nothing more than an attempt at getting easy answers with no effort on their part? Isn't this what we pay TA's their percentage for?

I'm hard pressed with this one to see what you're so long-winded over. If I were an engineer, would it be OK to ask you all if the QM2 will fit under the Golden Gate Bridge?

Okay, folks. I will say it and say it loudly. If you cannot be nice, then just shut up and say nothing.

Karie - I can see we're going to disagree here:(

If I hear one more travel agent sniping at someone who is obviously new to the business, or at least new to the line, bragging on this board how much more experienced, better, more knowledgeable,they are, and how everyone else's clients ought to book with THEM, I will complain to the management.

I don't think anyone was bragging and it certainly wasn't just travel agents who were saying that they had more knowledge of the ship than the OP. I for one, who have never been on the ship, feel that I could do a better job. (Ans I'm not a travel agent)

Were all of you born with an instant knowledge of every cabin in every ship? I don't think so.

No, but then I don't charge the general public for giving them advice and, if I ask an agent a question, I expect them to come up with a properly researched answer.

I don't even remember some of the ships I have been on. My one RCCL cruise was the something-or-another-of the sea! Don't ask me which one.

But you're not involved in active employment selling those ships to the public; you're not admitting to hold a certificate that implies you should know something about those lines.

I have never seen such a feeding frenzy of circling sharks as I have seen on this board when a poor innocent newcomer, who admits to being a TA, and is obviously enthusiastic asks a simple question.

The problem is not that she asked a question, everyone has to start somewhere, but that she asked very basic questions not once but twice on a public forum.

If I see one more nasty snotty rude self-serving post, I WILL complain to the community manager.

I don't mean any of my posts to be "rude", "nasty", "snotty" or "self-serving" but if you feel this is then by all means complain about me. I don't think that anyone has posted anything on this thread that could be described in that way.

You are here as a person interested in cruising. You are NOT here as a travel professional trying to gain business. If you cannot abide by those rules, please get off.

What strikes me is that you are addressing your post towards the travel agents who have posted on this thread. The only people who have admitted to being agents are you and the OP. Maybe you should both "get off".

None of us were born knowing everything they needed to know about his or her profession.

No, but some of us do have a modicum of common sense that tells us what is and where it is reasonable to ask.

Starfamily, I think my email is in my profile. I alluded to it here before.

If you want any information and I can help, I will try to do so, I have posted pictures of an obstructed balcony recently, and if you search the threads (search for obstructed balcony and in hull or hull hole balcony) you will find others who have done the same.

Why do you need to offer help? Doesn't she have a boss or colleague who is experienced? Shouldn't she have learnt where to look on her Cunard training programme?

I see they couldn't wait to jump in and discredit your professionalism.

Did she need any help? To ask two very simple questions about a ship that she professes to hold a training qualification is is more than sufficient to show her as being not very bright.

Okay, folks.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... FOR ANY OTHER REASON!

OK Karie, you keep em talking I'll throw their towels in the pool.

David.

Okay,

It's morning and I am calmer (Malcolm sent me some of his pills)

There are 23 posts on this thread, Let me give a synopsis, since you asked. Bear in mind, I am not reacting only to this thread, but also to the other thread where, I would say at least 5 agents came out of the woodwork to attack her publicly whom I had NEVER seen post before in 1 1/2 2 years (How long have I been on here? I forget)

1) OP- request pics of obs vs. Reg B4. A reasonable request which has been asked many times by many people

2)Malcolm- brings up the fact that she is an agent and what good was the course if it did not teach anything.

Let me stop right here and say what everyone here already knows. There is the "Cunard official line" and "the truth" We all know that Cunard does not knowingly publish pictures of obstructed balconies, hull-holes, or anything else like that. I am quite certain the spin on the course, if it covers the subject at all, would leaves us all dizzy. This is a legitimate question if you have not been on this ship, and don't know anyone (who doesn't work for Cunard) who has. What better place to ask than forum for people who cruise Cunard and will tell you the truth, not the hype?

3)OCNGPZY- ARRGHH I am afraid you will have to change your name to OCN-PYRAT. I don't think Gypsies say ARRRGHH, though I may be wrong.

4)KC- Insult- alluding to "an agent who doesn't know which end of the ship to sell her client." No, just wants pics of obs balcony!

5)KC- Reg vs unobs- AA only? Not sure- It's a recent change. You may be right. I wouldn't know since I didn't get the new brochure! <G>

6)Malcolm- semi- generic insult- We know more than most agents- Probably true. But then, we are here because this is one of our first loves! There are people here who probably know more than Cunard!

7)Starfam- Repeat- just wanted pics (can't get them from Cunard, after all!)

8) Ocngypzy- INSULT- Pity the client who books with... No call for this. It wasn't nice. It was rude and uncalled for. Perhaps mentoring a newbie to the profession would get you more positive results instead of saying hurtful things. I'd have a problem booking with someone who did something like that. I'd rather book with (or buy furniture from) a person who embodies qualities important to me. Earnestness and willingness to admit they don't know everything, but really puts in the effort. I have walked away from "cheaper deals" because I didn't like or trust the salesperson. What else might they be doing that might be unethical or something? Just my opinion. I'm sure you learned your business over time and did not start out knowing everything there is to know. I'm also sure kind people helped you along the way. Shame on you. Can't you be big enough to see there is room in your heart and the market for someone who earnestly wants to learn?

9)Wadadli- Share the commission? Well, which part of commission do you want? For a newcomer outside agent Generally the agency gets 10% unless they sell a lot with that line. But part of the fare is what is called non-commissionable. So, say $5,000 cruise. $400 of which is non-comm. So $4600. 10% is 460 dollars. That is often split 50/50 between agency and agent for outside agents. (Many pay the agent only 20% of the commission) Now you are down to $230.00, on which you must pay taxes and social security, plus your costs of doing business. Say you spent 40 hours (not unreasonable with some clients) Okay, now we are down to $5.75 an hour BEFORE taxes, and you must also pay social security on it!

So Who wants to sign up to be a travel agent? Very few make a living at it these days. Many agencies (forget individual agents) have gone under. The perks? You have to sell a lot before you get them, and even then, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Since airlines no longer commission, but you may still have to do it, compete against Travelocity, and others plus every client thinks they know more than you (and many do! or find "deals" on the internet which you must now research and debunk) As a rule, most travel agents do not charge a penny for their services, although it is becoming more common. And they must compete with their own suppliers who offer you a 5% discount for booking online instead of through an agent. And most agents and agencies all get the same prices and can rarely "get you a better deal" There are a few ways, and I won't go into them.

Now before I get slammed for my figures, these are purely hypothetical. There are cheaper cruises, some don't take you much time to book and the clients are dolls. I don't do much of this- a couple of cruises a year, and at least one of them my own. And I didn't look up any figures.

10)Cusyl- Answered the actual question, kindly

11)Malcolm- Insult- Stupid ?s

12)painter- Kind

13)KC- Google- Maybe she WAS doing research with people she thought might have actual answers, and be more reliable!

14)David- Kind

15) Penny- do research- Um, isn't that what she is doing, by asking us, the experts?

16) Me Diatribe

17)Bramcruiser- I'll take you up on those drinks- Yeah, I'm stressed and ready to leave CC- It seems to get nasty on occasion

18)KC- Why book with her? Everyone started some place. Maybe she is a friend or family, or maybe she doesn't need to know every trick and hold group space so that others cannot book it. Or find ways for Brits to book in US dollars or vice versa. Some people will pay more to book (or buy, or hire a contractor) from someone they trust. I know I have. I want qualtity and to be able to trust. I have to hire a roofer (one of today's tasks.) I am NOT going with the cheapest. I am going with one I think will do quality work at reasonable price.

19)Not applicable

20)Wadadli- What? me? Long winded? Whatever do you mean? (Hey! Remember, lots of wind is what keeps those Wadadli Cats going!)

21)Malcolm. See previous answers. C'mon You can be bigger than this. I've seen you do it! Give her a break. She's not here to steal the Dilithium Crystals!

22)Mufi <LOL>

23)Cusyl Thank you

Answer everyone's questions?

Let's all make nice now, and I'll go fish the towels out of the pool!

Karie,

who is trying to be nice.

She asked a question and I answered it.

Pictures of an obstructed balcony are here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556484387ZwZSss

But this is one of the better cabins - given that the boat in front of the window is the small rescue boat.

It is therefore not typical.

I've picked this much up already - and I'd not even consider booking this type of cabin on any ship.

Matthew

Archived