London Hotels?

We stayed in the Park Plaza County Hall.

It's on the "wrong" side of the Westminster bridge, near Waterloo Station.

It's about a 20 minute walk to Parliament and Westminster Abbey,

From there, it's another 15 through St. James park to Buckingham.

20 Minutes to Trafalgar, and then a quick hop across the millenium bridge to The Eye, and back to the hotel.

It also took us about 1.5 hours to walk through Southwark to London Bridge, across and along the Thames to the Tower, Back across the Tower bridge, and then back to the hotel.

If you put in a bid at Priceline.com, you may be pleasantly surprised. (We paid $110 USD, and were then upgraded)

If you stay at a hotel close to a tube (underground) station in reasonably-central London you are only minutes away from all the sights. If you also make it a short taxi ride from your transport to your cruise (eg Waterloo station for Southampton) you'll make your travelling with luggage so much easier.

You'll do better researching individual hotels by using forums on hotel websites.

Have a great time in London

Regards,

John Bull

Does anyone have an opinion on this hotel? The have family rooms at a very reasonable rate right next to the London Eye.

We have 2 children (9 and 11) with us and I understand London hotels are strict about not allowing more than 2 or 3 in a room. Would this apply to children this age if we had 2 Queen beds (or a king and a rollaway)?

Other hotels that would be appropiate for a family of 4 near the tourist sights? We're flying in to London for 3 nights before a Princess cruise at the end of August.

Does anyone have an opinion on this hotel? The have family rooms at a very reasonable rate right next to the London Eye.

We have 2 children (9 and 11) with us and I understand London hotels are strict about not allowing more than 2 or 3 in a room. Would this apply to children this age if we had 2 Queen beds (or a king and a rollaway)?

Other hotels that would be appropiate for a family of 4 near the tourist sights? We're flying in to London for 3 nights before a Princess cruise at the end of August.

It's not so much that London hotels are strict about allowing more than 2, it's that they're not configured that way. The North American standard double/double room doesn't really exist (at least, I personally have never been in a hotel room in the UK with 2 double/queen beds), and it's not rare to find a hotel with only single and double rooms. Moreover, the size of most UK/European rooms really doesn't allow for any type of rollaway/additional bedding. A family room will probably have a double and 1 or 2 singles, which could be either separate beds or some sort of sofabed (usually not a pullout, but a sofa whose back cushions come off for sleeping).

As for the Premier Inn County Hall, the location really is excellent - right accross from Parliament, excellent bus and tube/train links.

I have no opinion on the hotel itself, but the location is fantastic. See my post a couple up, on the Park Plaza County Hall, which is very nearby.

Hello everyone,

Please help! I am leaving this Sunday for a cruise and will be arriving to London on the 2nd of July. Looking for the hotel and subway metro pass/ or any other cheapest ways to travel across London.

Does anyone know any inexpensive (range $150US/night) hotels in London with good location. (close to the center and subway stations). In addition, in regards to the subway transportation; does anyone know which of the day/ passes (I believe they are called oyster types) are the best to purchase for a 3 day trip for two people (adults)? And what would be the cheapest way to get from Gatwick Airport to central London.

Thanks a lot!

Riri

Hello everyone,

Please help! I am leaving this Sunday for a cruise and will be arriving to London on the 2nd of July. Looking for the hotel and subway metro pass/ or any other cheapest ways to travel across London.

Does anyone know any inexpensive (range $150US/night) hotels in London with good location. (close to the center and subway stations). In addition, in regards to the subway transportation; does anyone know which of the day/ passes (I believe they are called oyster types) are the best to purchase for a 3 day trip for two people (adults)? And what would be the cheapest way to get from GatwickAirport to central London.

Thanks a lot!

Riri

Why don't you try bidding for a hotel on Priceline. We stayed at the NH Kensington, near Earl's Court Tube, for one week last month and paid $58 US per night. Can't beat that rate for a 4 star hotel and location was great for getting around on the Tube and trains and sightseeing. We were advised to get a 1 week pass on the Oyster Card, which worked well of us. Not sure what others would recommend for a shorter stay. When leaving London, we took the Gatwick Express train from Victoria Station directly to Gatwick. Cost for 2 was 34 GBP. I believe there is also a cheaper train that makes a few stops along the way, but don't know the cost.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know any inexpensive (range $150US/night) hotels in London with good location. (close to the center and subway stations).

Thanks a lot!

Riri

You try http://www.londontown.com/

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know any inexpensive (range $150US/night) hotels in London with good location. (close to the center and subway stations). In addition, in regards to the subway transportation; does anyone know which of the day/ passes (I believe they are called oyster types) are the best to purchase for a 3 day trip for two people (adults)? And what would be the cheapest way to get from GatwickAirport to central London.

Thanks a lot!

Riri

Regards the hotel, its not like a typical US city, London is spread out and the concept of being 'downtown' dosen't really apply.

For a mid range hotel under 100 GBP, around your budget I'd suggest the Premier Inn Kensington close to Earls Court Tube. There are direct suburban trains to West Brompton, close to Earls Court from Gatwick.

In the centre of town, the St Giles is a large tower by Tottenham Court Road and rooms midweek are about 90 GBP.

The Darlington Hyde Park is one of the best independent hotels in this price bracket at Paddington, if you contact them direct you'll often get a much better rate than via the internet or agent.

As someone has said prior, because of public transport you really can't go wrong with Priceline location wise, although 4 star hotel represents facilities provided not the quality of hotel.

Regards travel passes, if you read the page below it will guide you towards the best travel pass for your needs in London

Oyster or Travelcard

For the options getting from Gatwick into London

Gatwick - London transfers

Archived