Bird Island or Cades Reef

tbdb2

Has anyone been to either of these locations? How is the snorkeing at them? Any wildlife on Bird Island?

We've been to both numerous times, on Eli's EcoTour (www.adventureantigua.com). Bird Island has shallow snorkeling, Cades Reef has pretty good snorkeling. I've seen lots of different fish, sponges, and corals. Once we saw a small shark of some sort (swam right away from us), and an octopus.

Bird Island has birds, and someone we were with saw an Antiguan racer once. I keep looking, but I've never seen one. Not a lot of other wildlife, though.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

We've been back to both in recent years, with tours from adventureantigua.com. Bird Island is a good location for a new snorkeler to learn, but not much to see. Cades Reef is a better location for snorkeling. And I still haven't seen the elusive Antiguan racer, although their numbers are growing. We always see lots of birds at Bird Island, though.

Never have been to Cades Reef...but really did not like Bird Island where the beach area was overgrown with sea grass and dirty. :(

Sadly, because Antigua has so many lovely beaches. Our favorite is to go on a sailing catamaran with a great beach stop. :)

LuLu

Thank you so much for all of your comments. Looks like we'll focus on the trips that combine kayaking with Cades Reef.

We're not really beach people, but do love to snorkel.

Please come back and tell us if you made it to cades reef and how you got there, I had checked on the small 2 person boats out of Jolly harbor to get there but they were all booked the day we will be there in Dec. and I am awaiting a response from Horizons, we really want to snorkel Cades and will be disappointed if we can't.

A word to the wise - when you contact anyone to make arrangements, ask about the hurricane's effect on the reef - it may have been significant, and recovery can take some time.

Thanks for the info., I heard that the recent hurricane had affected Antigua, I hope the reef will still offer some decent snorkeling, I heard back from South Horizons and will probably book them.

Thanks for the info., I heard that the recent hurricane had affected Antigua, I hope the reef will still offer some decent snorkeling, I heard back from South Horizons and will probably book them.

I've done the snorkel kayak tour with south coast horizons and loved it! They did an amazing job. Actually we liked it so much we rebooked with them for up coming November cruise with friends who haven't been to Antigua.

Edited by scarby