Leaving the ship in Europe with a grandchild

mar915

My son and daughter in law want to go on a wine tour in Marsellie. Can I take my16 month old granddaughter off the ship without them. What do I need in order to do that

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

All you need is the child's room key.....that has her photo attached....if you don't have that, you can't leave the ship at all! ( don't know which cruiseline you'll be sailing...they all call the "key" something different...sign and sail, seapass, etc....)

There's nothing special you need. As long as each of you have your ship's card, you're good to go.

Edited by cb at sea

As far as I know you don't NEED anything, but it would possibly be good to carry a little cover letter and photo copy of one of the parent's passports just in case.

I travelled to France last year and got interrogated by the French Police because my kids surname is different from my own :confused:

By asking the question in the first place it shows that you are maybe a little nervous, in which case I would suggest doing the above, that way it would put your mind at ease. Likelyhood is that you won;t need it, but better to have it and not need it than end up being in a difficult situation where having it could help.....you would ony kick yourself afterwards!

Have you and your family looked into information bracelets or temporary tattoos? Great way of having contact details on the child in case you get separated by accident, maybe worth looking at :D

Her mom is worried so I mentioned about having a notarized letter just incase since our names are all different. The copy of a passport is a good idea. I feel always better being safe. In the Caribbean my mom would take the boys in or out sometimes with no issues

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You may be able to find a form online that you can get notarized authorizing you to be able to travel without the parents. Even though they will be on a separate excursion, since you will be alone with the child it may be a good idea.