Portland area scenic drive

fink402

We will be in Portland on Oct 13 for one day. We will take the Maine Foodie Tour in the morning, then have the afternoon for a 2- 3 hour scenic drive. We hope to see fall foliage and beautiful countryside. Are there any covered bridges in the area?

I'm a bit concerned about traffic. I live in an area of MN where tourists come to view fall foliage and the traffic can be a real challenge. I don't want to find myself stuck in traffic in ME and be worried about making it back to the cruise ship, or feel like we didn't get to see much because the traffic was jammed up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I would suggest take rte 25 out of Portland to Ossipee NH. Then Rte 16 north thru the White Mtn National Forest (there is a nice covered bridge in Conway just off the main rd) . Then rte 2 south to rte 26 south into Portland. Traffic should not be a problem being a weeekday, may be a little long of a ride tho

You will not have enough time to drive up to the White Mountains and back in 2-3 hours! It will take at least 2 hours one way, from Portland. The area is beautiful, but you need more time. If you post again (to remind me) right before you leave I'll check the foliage map and see what I can suggest based on that week! :)

We were there a couple years back around that time and we were going to Kennebunkport and as soon as we got on I-95 South, the foliage was beautiful. You may go down a few exits and drive around there and see the foliage. I was driving with my mouth open because it was so pretty and being from Florida something we do not see here.

You will not have enough time to drive up to the White Mountains and back in 2-3 hours! It will take at least 2 hours one way, from Portland. The area is beautiful, but you need more time. If you post again (to remind me) right before you leave I'll check the foliage map and see what I can suggest based on that week! :)

Sorry I got a little carried away. That is probably a six hr ride.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be in Portland on Oct 13 for one day. We will take the Maine Foodie Tour in the morning, then have the afternoon for a 2- 3 hour scenic drive. We hope to see fall foliage and beautiful countryside. Are there any covered bridges in the area?

I'm a bit concerned about traffic. I live in an area of MN where tourists come to view fall foliage and the traffic can be a real challenge. I don't want to find myself stuck in traffic in ME and be worried about making it back to the cruise ship, or feel like we didn't get to see much because the traffic was jammed up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

With only 2-3hrs (round trip) for a "scenic drive", you're not going to find any covered bridges that I'm aware of. Kennebunkport is nice but coastal and, IMHO, the best foliage is inland. Your best bet may be taking Rt 302 north from Portland toward Sebago Lake and Naples. Enjoy your visit!

portlanddiscovery dot com has a trolley tour that takes you around town and out to a light house. Not exactly what you described, but having done the culinary walking tour before it does not sound like enough time to be renting a car and driving around the countryside. But maybe that is just my preference. With the trolley tour you wouldn't have to worry about traffic and getting back in time as it is a regimented 90 minute tour.

We've stopped in Portland two times. First time we did the trolley tour with portlanddiscovery and the second time we did the culinary walking tour. Each time we just explored the town on our own in the remaining time.

Have fun it is a pretty spot.

We will be in Portland on a Sunday in October. What is the best way to get a rental car? Are there places at the port to rent?

We rented from Enterprise last week, and they are only about 5-6 minutes from the ship. They picked us up and dropped us off at the ship. It was real easy.

We were up to Ogunquit on Thursday and colors are just starting to change on the I95 North route. You should see more color going North on the 13th if we don't have too much heavy rainfall before then. A Thursday shouldn't have much traffic, but just 3 hours is not enough time to go far. I would take a tour to Damiscotta and the lighthouse there. You might be trying to book too much for one port of call. I'd skip the Foodie tour and stop for a Local seafood lunch on your own.

I would suggest take rte 25 out of Portland to Ossipee NH. Then Rte 16 north thru the White Mtn National Forest (there is a nice covered bridge in Conway just off the main rd) . Then rte 2 south to rte 26 south into Portland. Traffic should not be a problem being a weeekday, may be a little long of a ride tho

This is a nice drive. However, I would not take this route and expect to be back on the ship before it sails. The route suggested is definitely a day trip. Also, keep in mind that 2nd week in Oct. is peak leaf peeping.

That said, for foliage viewing, I'd suggest Rt. 302 to Windham and drive around Sebago Lake. Windham is 1/2 hour from Portland. Or, you could drive over to Kennebunkport.*again, about 45 min. drive from port.

I live in Portland.

This is a nice drive. However, I would not take this route and expect to be back on the ship before it sails. The route suggested is definitely a day trip. Also, keep in mind that 2nd week in Oct. is peak leaf peeping.

That said, for foliage viewing, I'd suggest Rt. 302 to Windham and drive around Sebago Lake. Windham is 1/2 hour from Portland. Or, you could drive over to Kennebunkport.*again, about 45 min. drive from port.

I live in Portland.

I was going to suggest 302 as well. We took our boat out on Sebago this last weekend and there was plenty of color, especially in the boggy areas. Maples are coming on strong.

• 2 weeks later...
With only 2-3hrs (round trip) for a "scenic drive", you're not going to find any covered bridges that I'm aware of. Kennebunkport is nice but coastal and, IMHO, the best foliage is inland. Your best bet may be taking Rt 302 north from Portland toward Sebago Lake and Naples. Enjoy your visit!

There is a covered bridge off River Rd. in Windham. It would be about a 45 min. drive from Portland. You would take Brighton Ave. Portland, which turns to Cumberland St. in Westbrook which turns to River Rd. in Windham. On the left is the Covered Bridge Rd. In Westbrook you would pass a store on the left called Amatos (across from McDonalds), where they sell Italian sandwiches and woopie pies. This is a favorite lunch in Maine along with a bag of Humpty Dumpty potatoe bbq potatoe chips. I hope you enjoy your trip.

There is a covered bridge off River Rd. in Windham. It would be about a 45 min. drive from Portland. You would take Brighton Ave. Portland, which turns to Cumberland St. in Westbrook which turns to River Rd. in Windham. On the left is the Covered Bridge Rd. In Westbrook you would pass a store on the left called Amatos (across from McDonalds), where they sell Italian sandwiches and woopie pies. This is a favorite lunch in Maine along with a bag of Humpty Dumpty potatoe bbq potatoe chips. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Haha I used to go to that Amatos all the time when I worked in WB. Try the chix calzone. On a side note, the last ship of the year called on Portland this weekend, that'll be all til spring, we're battoning down the hatches.

Archived